[SOLVED] Logitech keyboard generates the wrong characters

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
ineuw

[SOLVED] Logitech keyboard generates the wrong characters

Post by ineuw »

Recently purchased a Logitech K700/K710 wireless French character keyboard, but Firefox, Windows 7 OS and the Regional language setting and the keyboard driver are all US English. In fact, the French keyboard driver is not installed.

After an hour of typing in Firefox, (as of this writing it's version 54.0.1) the keyboard goes crazy and generates the wrong characters for keys which are defined as ANSI 128 to 255, like "é" instead of "/" etc. I correct it by closing and restarting Firefox, so it's not an OS problem. Which about:config settings can be modified to correct this problem?
Last edited by ineuw on May 28th, 2018, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Firefox 115.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 2023-07-31 00:05
Tomatoshadow2

Re: Logitech keyboard generates the wrong characters

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Has this ever happened to you before?
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

If you mean with other keyboards, not that I can remember, and I mostly use Logitech.
Firefox 115.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 2023-07-31 00:05
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

More than likely this is a system problem.
Look for your utility control for your keyboard for your system and set the language properly or at least so it agrees with the language used in Firefox.
Firefox language control is located /Tools/Options/Content/ Languages/Choose
You may also want to look at /Tools/Options/Fonts & Colors/Advanced/Fonts For: (try setting this to Other Languages . . .
. . . at the bottom of the Advanced page is Text encoding for Legacy Content. try setting it for "Other (including Western European)"
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

Hi Grumpus, Thanks for the instructions. I did everything you mentioned and now it's just wait and see.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

This is just a follow up so don't fiddle with it if what went before works.
There may also be an issue with the intl.charset items in about:config if you are using UTF-8
See this link in Seamonkey Support. Works for Firefox start from the first post.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14734219
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Note that there might have been a keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+Shift or Alt+Shift) set to rotate through installed keyboard layout.
If you accidentally press this shortcut combination then the layout will change.
Best is to disable this feature.
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

dickvl, you're a genius. I did have two keyboard definitions. The English US, and the Canadian International for French. I am also a constant user of Autohotkey where both of the above mentioned key combinations are used extensively. It does happen that I press those key combinations and then change my mind and don't press the third key. Thank you!!!!

And thank you Grumpus. I was about to come online and let you know that Logitech mouse software named Logitech Options, and Logitech SetPoint have not been updated since 2015. SetPoint does install an extension into Firefox for smooth scrolling, but it interferes with Firefox's (more advanced technology?) and the mouse pointer becomes uncontrollable. The extension is broken and it's not possible to disable or remove, so I uninstalled the Logitech mouse software altogether and now things are back to normal. Furthermore, someone on the Firefox Add-ons page offers the identical (and working) version of the Logitech Setpoint add-on from 2015, but I am staying away from it.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@ineuw - I think dickvl is secretly Poirot, I didn't even think to ask if you had a related extension.
Glad it's solved.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Moving to Mozillazine Tech