Laptop has 16 GB of ram, how many content processes

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Tomatoshadow2

Laptop has 16 GB of ram, how many content processes

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Hey guys,

My Mac pro laptop has 16 GB of Ram, and I have Nightly set to five content processes, can it handle more then that and if so, how many would you recommend?
Last edited by Tomatoshadow2 on July 16th, 2017, 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
LIMPET235

Re: Laptop has 16 GB of ram, how many content processes do y

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to Firefox Builds...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

What CPU?
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Are You A Wiiizard?

Post by Are You A Wiiizard? »

tomatoshadow2 wrote:2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
That doesn't really help... But I'm assuming it's a dual core so I'd say 5 processes sounds about right. You wont be limited by ram but by threads on your CPU and possibly your iGPU.
mayankleoboy1

Post by mayankleoboy1 »

I have 8GB RAM and a 2 core+2Hyperthreaded processor.
I use 20 processes and it all works fine.
Are You A Wiiizard?

mayankleoboy1 wrote:I have 8GB RAM and a 2 core+2Hyperthreaded processor.
Working fine is different to working optimally. Having more will make tabs more stable if you have many open (as it won't crash a whole heap of tabs sharing the same process) but there is a performance impact of having too many than your computer can handle.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@tomatoshadow2 - Your processor specs
4 core - 8 threads i7 Sandy Bridge
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
sciguyryan
Folder@Home

Post by sciguyryan »

Are You A Wiiizard? wrote:
mayankleoboy1 wrote:I have 8GB RAM and a 2 core+2Hyperthreaded processor.
Working fine is different to working optimally. Having more will make tabs more stable if you have many open (as it won't crash a whole heap of tabs sharing the same process) but there is a performance impact of having too many than your computer can handle.
Agreed. That's one issue that Chrome has for example. The multi-process model is sub-optimal and it is less efficient over all. Even if it is nice to have it such that a single tab can't crash more than one at any given time!
Cheers!

Ryan Jones
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Thanks Grumpus greatly appreciate it!! and thanks for the input everyone, so five content processes seems like it's just right. Also, Are you a wizard? can you explain more about limitations I may face? Thanks so much.
Are You A Wiiizard?

tomatoshadow2 wrote:Thanks Grumpus greatly appreciate it!! and thanks for the input everyone, so five content processes seems like it's just right. Also, Are you a wizard? can you explain more about limitations I may face? Thanks so much.
Well, if your CPU is indeed the i7-2720QM then it should be capable of more, likely 8 processes (though might still be held back by iGPU). While it is much older, almost all current-gen laptops use dual-cores. For example: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/In ... 1274vsm532 where the multi-thread performance is 21% higher on the 2720QM.

About limitations, I used to run 10 content processes on my AMD FX8320 (8 cores, 8 threads) with my HD7970 and I noticed no performance issues even with many heavy sites open (after they fixed the spinner issues). A couple of weeks ago my 7970 stopped working and I put in my really old 5750. Almost instantly I noticed when I had many fairly heavy tabs open that performance was suffering and was almost eliminated by dropping down to 8 processes but I still get a few issues with slow rendering etc. due to the slow GPU. I keep it at 8 because I'd rather suffer a little bit of performance to decrease the chance of an important tab crashing due to another tab having issues.
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Yeah my Macbook pro is late 2015, is it restricted by iGPU?
Are You A Wiiizard?

tomatoshadow2 wrote:Yeah my Macbook pro is late 2015, is it restricted by iGPU?
Honestly I'm not sure. It depends how you use the browser I guess. You could try experimenting yourself, if you notice any slowdowns reduce it. Even if you assign too many it's not going to slow your browser to a crawl unless you do something like 50+.
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

Are You A Wiiizard? wrote:
tomatoshadow2 wrote:Thanks Grumpus greatly appreciate it!! and thanks for the input everyone, so five content processes seems like it's just right. Also, Are you a wizard? can you explain more about limitations I may face? Thanks so much.
Well, if your CPU is indeed the i7-2720QM then it should be capable of more, likely 8 processes (though might still be held back by iGPU). While it is much older, almost all current-gen laptops use dual-cores. For example: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/In ... 1274vsm532 where the multi-thread performance is 21% higher on the 2720QM.

About limitations, I used to run 10 content processes on my AMD FX8320 (8 cores, 8 threads) with my HD7970 and I noticed no performance issues even with many heavy sites open (after they fixed the spinner issues). A couple of weeks ago my 7970 stopped working and I put in my really old 5750. Almost instantly I noticed when I had many fairly heavy tabs open that performance was suffering and was almost eliminated by dropping down to 8 processes but I still get a few issues with slow rendering etc. due to the slow GPU. I keep it at 8 because I'd rather suffer a little bit of performance to decrease the chance of an important tab crashing due to another tab having issues.
>due to the slow GPU

You should see how much VRAM the content processes use, they really need to tune this aspect
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Alright, can I check that in activity monitor or is there another place to check it?