Firefox ESR is in 2 places, how to correct?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Oma1942

Firefox ESR is in 2 places, how to correct?

Post by Oma1942 »

The first is in C:Program Files (x86) but the info in the profile folder is not correct. A lot of entries which seem to be junk.

The second is in C:\User\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles. The info in there is correct.

Question: How do I create a new folder in Program Files (x86) so that I can transfer the info from C:\User\Appdata\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox etc to C:Program Files (x86)? Or perhaps a new install of ESR is needed to put it in the Program Files (x86)?
I'm a dummy who doesn't now how to transfer or how to create a new folder in Program Files 86.

I've got the feeling that when I had Windows XP that Mozilla did put the Firefox folder in C:\User\Appdata etc. When I purchased this Windows 7, all Firefox info residing in XP to Firefox was transferred to Win 7.

Please be gentle with me as I have no clue how to do the above.

Edited re not clarifying.
dickvl

Re: Firefox ESR is in 2 places, how to correct?

Post by dickvl »

Firefox uses two locations for the Firefox profile folder.

The location with your personal data is in "AppData\Roaming" (main profile folder)
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<random profile>\

The location that stores the disk cache and other temporary files is in "AppData\Local".
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<random profile>\

Files you see in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\" are the Firefox program files, so there is nothing to move around.

See also the about:profiles page via the location bar.
Oma1942

Post by Oma1942 »

dickvl: Thank you very much for getting back to me.

"The location with your personal data is in "AppData\Roaming" (main profile folder)
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<random profile>\"

Answer: The above one seems to be okay and is 92.2MB

"The location that stores the disk cache and other temporary files is in "AppData\Local".
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<random profile>\"

Answer: The above one is very weird. It shows 3 profile names and each has very little info, yet the file is at 285 MB. Of note is that I have the info in the ROAMING file.

"Files you see in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\" are the Firefox program files, so there is nothing to move around."

Answer: The above one has very many api-ms-win-crt-convert--1-1-0-.dll and is 91.1MB in size.

The profile is very old (since 2004) and it looks to me that Firefox is corrupted.

I wouldn't even know how to start fixing it. I'm old and have memory and cognitive impairments so that doesn't help. ](*,)

If you have any idea on how the next step would be, I would appreciate it very much. I am using Firefox ESR and would like continue in using it.

BTW: I have close to 2000 bookmarks and cannot afford to lose them in the process.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

What kind of problems do you have (if any) that you want to fix your Firefox installation?

The files you see in "C:\Program Files (x86)\" are part of the Firefox application and you shouldn't make changes there because you won't be able to start Firefox.
There is no need to copy files or folders from "AppData\Roaming" or "AppData\Local" to this "Program Files" location since that wouldn't work and Firefox would complain that the profile folder couldn't be found.

If you have multiple profiles in "AppData\Local" then you can remove older profiles that aren't being used.
In that location only temporary files like the disk cache are stored and you wouldn't lose important data.

You should be very cautious with removing files or folders in "AppData\Roaming" since there is where important personal data is stored like the bookmarks and passwords.
You can check the file dates to see when a specific profile had been used the last time.
The compatibility.ini file that you will find in a profile folder in the "AppData\Roaming" location also stores details like the Firefox version that last used this profile.
You can open compatibility.ini via the right-click context menu in a plain text editor via Open with.
Do not double-click files and do not save a file if you accidentally modify the file.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox
therube

Post by therube »

Are you talking about where the program was installed or where your Profile folder is located (or a bit about both)?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Oma1942

Post by Oma1942 »

Thanks for getting back to me dickvl and therube.

The C:\Users\user\Appdata\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\random profile seems to be correct and is abt 92.2 MB in size. There is the places/sqlite in that folder. That seems to be the main one.

In ....\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles I had 3 profile names which were in total 285MB in size. I have deleted the 2 profile names which I don't seem to be using and the size is now 12.4MB. No repercussions from that action sofar that I noticed.

The one that stumps me is this one:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\ have about a total of forty(40) .dll(s) inside, for example: api-ms-win-crt-convert -1-1-0.dll and other stuff but I don't think that I have ever seen or looked at/in this file. Total size is 91.1MB.

So now that I have deleted the 2 extra profile names, Fx has a total of roughly 195 MB in use. Is that normal?
therube

Post by therube »

The one that stumps me is this one: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\
Seemingly that is where the FF program is installed.
40 api*.dll & 91 MB sounds about right.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Oma1942

Post by Oma1942 »

Thanks derube.

After having the 2 profile names removed and just 1 profile name remaining, all seems to be going fine. Fx seems to be snappier now.