Embedded videos and other "can't run" in FF

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
6rtury

Embedded videos and other "can't run" in FF

Post by 6rtury »

FF is becoming more and more unusable for me as it tightens security requirements. For example, my bank has a BillPay option that is called from the main bank site. With the latest two FF updates the Billpay screen opens in a 1"x2" window that cannot be resized, and is totally unusable. I've spoken with the vendor of this piece and they say it's because FF won't allow embedded videos. Another example is watching TV programs, such as newscasts, from major cable providers -- another example of embedded videos. All I get is a dead TV-like screen. I've tried tweaking every FF setting I can find and still cannot get FF to allow these types of sites. A third example is that when I make online purchases and send in payment information, the "send" does not occur. I've turned off other programs, such as ad blockers, and still no success. I'm ready to jettison FF, as both IE and Chrome will allow these functions.
Can someone point me to settings that will allow me to use FF as my browser on these sites?
Thanks in advance.
DanRaisch

Re: Embedded videos and other "can't run" in FF

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Support.

What's an example site URL (that doesn't require registration) where these display problems appear?
6rtury

Post by 6rtury »

Here's one example that doesn't require a logon. I can watch youtube videos, but not any that are embedded. Where the video re-broadcast should appear, the screen is black and nothing will run:

http://www.msnbc.com/the-last-word/watc ... 4896963661
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The video plays here only after permitting multiple layers of scripts to run through NoScript.

Does the same issue remain if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
6rtury

Post by 6rtury »

Yes. The problem is the same, with both the link I sent you and my banking site.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

FWIW that video works fine for me using FF54.0.1

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Do you have the latest version of Adobe's Flash player installed? That's version 26.0.0.137 and you can find the information under menu path Tools->Addons->Plugins.
therube

Post by therube »

As a test, create a new, clean Profile.
Open your msnbc link.

What happens?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
6rtury

Post by 6rtury »

I am and was using FF 54.01 (Win 7). When I created a new Profile, both the embedded videos and my banking site Billpay now work perfectly. What does this tell me about what in the old profile is interfering with the embedded videos? I would be happy to use this new profile if I can get the look and feel of my old one. For example:

1. I'd like my old Bookmarks Toolbar to run along the top of the window, but cannot even find it. Can I export the toolbar from the old profile and then import into the new one? How can I get it to run along the top under the menu bar?
2. I've set up a Bookmarks sidebar but again I do not have my old bookmarks. Can they too be imported from the old toolbar?
3. In my Addons, 4 old ones that are not compatible and were uninstalled long ago still show, even though they are in red. I cannot find exactly where in about:addons to comment these out? Am I looking in the wrong place?
4. Every time I log into a site via my password manager (LastPass), FF pops up a box asking if I want FF to save the login info. I don't want FF to save any logins. Where can I turn off this message?
Thanks for the help.
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

for number 4., 3 bar menu ---> preferences ---> click on "privacy and security" tab ---> under forms and passwords make sure "remember logins and passwords for sites" is unchecked.
6rtury

Post by 6rtury »

Since I posted my last questions I spent a lot of time going through the FF online support files and found the turn off the "Save login info" option, which I did. Then loaded my old profile and exported my bookmarks. There was no option to export the Bookmarks Toolbar separately so assumed they would import with the Bookmarks Menu (which they did).Opened the new profile and imported the Bookmarks HTML. Kept getting script errors,all of which seemed to be Chrome-related scripts. Tried all error options and was finally able to to get all bookmarks to show in the sidebar. Unfortunately, the Bookmarks Toolbar is also in the sidebar and I can find no way to get the Toolbar items to run along the top of the window, which is what I want. Have tried through the bookmark manager, view etc.
The more I try my, Tools become inoperative.
Suggestions welcome -- please.
Dana
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you tried menu path View->Toolbars->Bookmark Toolbar?
6rtury

Post by 6rtury »

Already checked that and found the Bookmark Toolbar check. It did show but unfortunately in the sidebar along with the Bookmarks Menu. I've found the only way to get these saved links at the top of the window is to manually move them up there, one by one, from the sidebar. This is tedious, but not really bad since I am reviewing the saved links to decide if I need them on the toolbar and to cull the list.
Now, I have only one question left, which I've not been able to solve.
I have 3 old add-ons that were removed long ago but still show in my list of addons. They are greyed-out and marked as not compatible with FF 58.01. How can I get rid of them? They are: an old Create PDF, Logitech SetPoint, a credit card virtual account number app. I looked at the about:config file but cannot find them. Are they in a section by themselves?