YouTube annotations won't die

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Robwood

YouTube annotations won't die

Post by Robwood »

Sorry to come here, but with the Miscellaneous Support forum locked, I have nowhere else to turn. For some reason I can't fathom, YouTube videos are displaying annotations despite the fact that I told YouTube to knock it off.

I've checked the setting, saved, then unchecked the setting and saved again. After that, I just kept hitting Save on the current setting, yet I still have to waste time with each individual video to turn annotations off. How do I knock some sense into this website? This started happening today without reason.
Never give anyone your two cents because it's only a penny for your thoughts.
DanRaisch

Re: YouTube annotations won't die

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to MozillaZine Tech.
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

Technically, Youtube now has two kinds of displays appearing on videos:

1. Traditional annotations, which can be turned off by the playback preference setting you just displayed.

2. Annotation "Cards" that can appear in the last 20 seconds or so or a video (see https://support.google.com/youtube/answ ... ktop&hl=en). As far as Youtube is concerned, these cards are replacing traditional annotations and are "better" because they are displayed on telephones too and can't be disabled.

For the latter, there might be some Youtube-related extensions that might remove them, but I haven't found any. The best trick I found is to go through uBlock Origin's customization feature. The same trick can be done with Adblock Plus and the accompanying extension "Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus" and most likely with any other ad-blocking extension.

How to do it with uBlock Origin

1. Look at a Youtube video.

2. When it approaches the time to display the cards, click on the uBlock Origin icon to pop up its menu. Click on the droplet (tiny icon below the big on-off button), then hover over the card until you select its outmost border.

3. Once you have clicked, move the mouse and a new menu will appear over the previous one.
If you are not sure to have clicked in the right place, click on "preview".
When you are sure, click "Create". Otherwise, click quit.

I don't remember the details because I created my rules long time ago. I think you need to do it twice: one for the card itself and one for the box that hides the background image.

Once that's done, you won't see ever these cards. If you change your mind later, you may either:
– Disable the adblocker for the website or page (the on-off switch). That's a good solution if you want to see these cards once.
– Open the extension's control panel, look for "your personal filters" and remove personal filters added for Youtube.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
Soothsayer

Post by Soothsayer »

I use a user script within Tampermonkey (also works with Greasemonkey and other similar extensions) to disable the YouTube cards.

You can get the script from:
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/23788 ... ns-disable
Robwood

Post by Robwood »

I don't know what uBlock is. Is that something in Adblock or the Element Hider extension?
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

@Robwood Ublock Origin is another ad blocker, here is the description from AMO, "An efficient blocker: easy on memory and CPU footprint, and yet can load and enforce thousands more filters than other popular blockers out there." https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... in/?src=ss
Robwood

Post by Robwood »

Can it be used in tandem with the Adblock extensions? I already have Adblock Plus, Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon, Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus, and Updated Adblocker fore Firefox 11+.
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Robwood wrote:Can it be used in tandem with the Adblock extensions? I already have Adblock Plus, Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon, Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus, and Updated Adblocker fore Firefox 11+.
Hmm, not entirely sure on that one, usually I always thought, use one adblocker at a time, I could be mistaken though. Ublock Origin says it saves memory and is less resource heavy then Adblock Plus.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

ublock replaces all of them.
but for youtube you should look at "magic actions for youtube" - various options.
Robwood

Post by Robwood »

Where do I find that? Or is that a browser extension instead of a site function?
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Robwood

Post by Robwood »

As I've never heard of it before, yes, seriously. But on a more positive note, I've installed it and so far so good. We'll see how it pans out over the next few days.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

most times ok, but when YT changes code it could happen that the video wont start or is not visible.
"turn off the lights" is another one from authors, less options.

ofc - i think - there exist more extension to avoid comments and other crap, but this one is "nicer" ^^