Should I have more then one Firefox profile

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Tomatoshadow2

Should I have more then one Firefox profile

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Hey guys,

Was just wondering in your guys' opinions if I should have more then one Firefox profile?

I have four channels of Firefox on my laptop (Nightly,DeveloperEdition,Beta,and Release).

I have used one profile for all of them and haven't had any problems as of yet. I always update my channels and haven't gone backwards in releases at all.
LIMPET235

Re: Should I have more then one Firefox profile

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to the Builds Forum...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
sciguyryan
Folder@Home

Post by sciguyryan »

Some changes are definitely not backwards compatible and some things can break or change in nightly that would make it difficult to share profiles. If you're running different versions I would suggest multiple profiles. If you are only using a single version then you can usually get away with just one. I have been using the same one for over a decade -but- I only run nightly and nothing else.
Cheers!

Ryan Jones
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Sounds good, like I said I haven't had any issues, sync works great across them all as well. Is there a knowledge Base article to creating multiple profiles and how to assign a profile to a certain version? Can I copy all my data from one profile and share it with the other profiles?
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Also would you suggest keeping DeveloperEdition and Beta, even though their based off the same beta channel?
sciguyryan
Folder@Home

Post by sciguyryan »

tomatoshadow2 wrote:Sounds good, like I said I haven't had any issues, sync works great across them all as well. Is there a knowledge Base article to creating multiple profiles and how to assign a profile to a certain version? Can I copy all my data from one profile and share it with the other profiles?
You can access the profile manager by running Firefox through a command prompt with the -profilemanager argument. You can also set up different shortcuts to run Firefox with different profiles using the -p "Profile Name" argument. The following article may help you here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... x-profiles

You may not run into issues now but you could in the future. Not long ago a breaking change was made to the way favicons were stored that would have led to them being missing in a beta but present in nightly.

You can copy data from one profile to the next but if you're going to do so I would suggest only doing things like passwords, bookmarks, etc. Extensions can vary version to version so it may be problematic to share them.

That's all that comes to mind right now, hopefully it will be helpful!
Cheers!

Ryan Jones
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

So would this allow me to run, Beta,Release, and Nightly at the same time?
sciguyryan
Folder@Home

Post by sciguyryan »

tomatoshadow2 wrote:So would this allow me to run, Beta,Release, and Nightly at the same time?
Provided you have separate install locations and set up shortcuts to run each of them under a different profile - yes, definitely!
Cheers!

Ryan Jones
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Sounds good, then I can use my sync account between them to share data or would you advise against that?
sciguyryan
Folder@Home

Post by sciguyryan »

Firefox Sync, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't allow you to sync data between profiles on the same PC. At least I never had any luck in getting that to work. In theory if you could get that or an external sync addon to work then yeah, it should work okay.
Cheers!

Ryan Jones
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Yeah it's been working good for me, The developeredition suggests I use sync to share data between my profiles, but I thought I only had one profile, maybe I have more then one and I didn't realize it??