[ext] Stay-Open Menu

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
itisomegakai

Re: [ext] Stay-Open Menu

Post by itisomegakai »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:
rayquaza88 wrote:Will the add-on work after the Firefox 57 update that will only accept WebExtension add-ons? I really like this addon and it would be great to be able to keep using it
No. It is not a webextension, and there is no way to make it one. Firefox Nightly will still allow non-webextensions (by flipping a pref - https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Firefox57). Another option is to use ESR channel (until sometime in 2018) or SeaMonkey or PaleMoon. Personally I plan to use some combination of Nighty and ESR and re-evaluate after ESR no longer supports legacy exts.

I am also attempting to get the core functionality built into fx:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=260611
but it's been slow-going. I've never done a fx patch before, am new to hg, trying to learn about mochitests, and working on it on linux (not my default OS, but the build system requires a 64 bit OS) in a limited amount of time. Getting reviewed appears to be rather slow as well. So no promises there, but I'm giving it a try. Hey, I had no idea how to write a fx extension before I did Stay-Open Menu either <grin>.

Just want to say thank you and keep up the good work. =D>
Can a interface(webext) be created to control the features the current addon provides? or can you bake it in directly in Firefox(which would be better)?

Hope you can land it soon so can test it before release and provide bug info. :P
custom.firefox.lady

Post by custom.firefox.lady »

itisomegakai wrote: ...Can a interface(webext) be created to control the features the current addon provides? or can you bake it in directly in Firefox(which would be better)?
Bug 260611 will provide an about:config pref to enable it (the core stayopen feature for bookmarks menus). Haven't decided yet what to do with the rest of stayopen ext features. Possibly wrap an 'experiment' in a webext. But I'm generally very busy 3rd quarter of year, so it might not be before fx57. Not that it really matters, since legacy exts will still work on Nightly post 57 and 'experiments' also only work on Nightly. I recommend stayopen users plan some alternative such as Nightly/ESR/PM/SM. My current focus is on getting work done on the fx patch.

PS: All interested should feel free to follow progress on the bug (please don't spam it).
agenthardtofind

Post by agenthardtofind »

itisomegakai wrote: ...Can a interface(webext) be created to control the features the current addon provides? or can you bake it in directly in Firefox(which would be better)?
Bug 260611 will provide an about:config pref to enable it (the core stayopen feature for bookmarks menus). Haven't decided yet what to do with the rest of stayopen ext features. Possibly wrap an 'experiment' in a webext. But I'm generally very busy 3rd quarter of year, so it might not be before fx57. Not that it really matters, since legacy exts will still work on Nightly post 57 and 'experiments' also only work on Nightly. I recommend stayopen users plan some alternative such as Nightly/ESR/PM/SM. My current focus is on getting work done on the fx patch.

PS: All interested should feel free to follow progress on the bug (please don't spam it).
That's good to hear that you are integrating it into firefox.
you could add "all the features" directly into firefox controlled by pref, it would ensure it works w/ any breakage due to updates of addon api's.
They are enabling photon for testing in 56 so if this were to land during then then it could be tested easily but it's ok as we all know & trust you will take care of adding all the features of SOM in firefox directly.

Following the bug.

KUDOS
custom.firefox.lady

agenthardtofind wrote:you will take care of adding all the features of SOM in firefox directly.
Following the bug.
Please read the bug. Most of stayopen's features will not be added to fx.
shellye5

Post by shellye5 »

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1354159

Broke SoM
Ctrl+click-on folders works, but on individual bookmarks menu closes.
Please fix this.
custom.firefox.lady

shellye5 wrote:https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1354159
Broke SoM
Please fix this.
I have located the source of the issue. If Bug 260611 does not land fairly soon, I may attempt a fixed version of stayopen.

Note that this issue only applies to Ctrl-click; middle-click and 'Open in a new Tab' on context menu still leave the menu open as expected. I suggest (users on Fx Nightly) use one of those methods for now.
shellye5

Post by shellye5 »

shellye5 wrote:https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1354159
Broke SoM
Please fix this.
I have located the source of the issue. If Bug 260611 does not land fairly soon, I may attempt a fixed version of stayopen.

Note that this issue only applies to Ctrl-click; middle-click and 'Open in a new Tab' on context menu still leave the menu open as expected. I suggest (users on Fx Nightly) use one of those methods for now.
From the bug it looks like it will land around Firefox 57?
So can SoM be fixed for them.

Also use Ctrl-click; middle-click and 'Open in a new Tab' on context menu / default preference of SoM, will these be implemented in firefox 57?
updated SoM works on plaemoon/esr and will work ?
what features of SoM will be missing?

Is beta build coming up or available?
custom.firefox.lady

shellye5 wrote:From the bug it looks like it will land around Firefox 57?
Perhaps. I have no idea yet how long it will take before the patch is reviewed, or whether the reviewer might require extensive changes.
shellye5 wrote: Also use Ctrl-click; middle-click and 'Open in a new Tab' on context menu / default preference of SoM, will these be implemented in firefox 57?
updated SoM works on plaemoon/esr and will work ?
what features of SoM will be missing?
Ctrl-click; middle-click and 'Open in a new Tab' on context menu will be in patch (behind a pref), whenever it lands. Those are the only features of stayopen that will be in the patch. (So history menus, the locationbar, autoclosing etc. will be missing.) The current version of stayopen works on palemoon/esr. I don't expect breaking major changes on those.
shellye5 wrote:Is beta build coming up or available?
Not ATM. There may be one in the future, but not necessarily soon.
shellye5

Post by shellye5 »

history menus, the locationbar, - those are bummers as they are default in SoM :(
can you add them post firefox 57? in already a bug as see also in the main bug location bar is added so can you look into it please?
History menus :( :(

Not ATM. There may be one in the future, but not necessarily soon. - Nightly 56 is unusable without it :P

Thanks for the explanation
shellye5

Post by shellye5 »

Can this be fixed please as it make firefox 56 unusable,
the patch will land after firefox 57 from the bug info?
shellye5

Post by shellye5 »

Another bug, today's 56 nightly SoM has to be disabled and re-enabled to work after every restart.
Please update the extension.
custom.firefox.lady

shellye5 wrote: the patch will land after firefox 57 from the bug info?
I'm still hoping to get it into 57 Nightly.
shellye5 wrote:Another bug, today's 56 nightly SoM has to be disabled and re-enabled to work after every restart. Please update the extension.
Yes, it's certainly inconvenient. But my focus on the patch, combined with this being a very busy time of year for me, means an extension update is unlikely. Getting the patch landed will potentially benefit a lot of people. Nightly will soon move to fx 57. An ext update will quickly become useless to anyone except those on Nightly with appropriate pref flipped, and still could be broken again soon by further fx code changes. Ext would also need updated to work with my patch. It simply isn't worth the time ATM. You will need to either accept the inconvenience, or move off the Nightly channel for now.
shellye5

Post by shellye5 »

shellye5 wrote: the patch will land after firefox 57 from the bug info?
I'm still hoping to get it into 57 Nightly.
shellye5 wrote:Another bug, today's 56 nightly SoM has to be disabled and re-enabled to work after every restart. Please update the extension.
Yes, it's certainly inconvenient. But my focus on the patch, combined with this being a very busy time of year for me, means an extension update is unlikely. Getting the patch landed will potentially benefit a lot of people. Nightly will soon move to fx 57. An ext update will quickly become useless to anyone except those on Nightly with appropriate pref flipped, and still could be broken again soon by further fx code changes. Ext would also need updated to work with my patch. It simply isn't worth the time ATM. You will need to either accept the inconvenience, or move off the Nightly channel for now.
That's sad because Firefox 56 will be used by many(until webextensions come on par) and since this is not fixed in that and will land in 57 means no support in beta and release too.
Maybe if this lands in Firefox 56 cycle then this problem can be solved.
custom.firefox.lady

For those Nightly 57 users who are fighting with this bugginess (which inludes myself, except when I'm on ESR), here's what I do:
1. Pin about:addons, to make toggling stayopenmenu enable/disable quicker.
(No idea what's causing the need to enable/disable after every restart.)
2. Set a click zone on touchpad to enable middle-click and use that instead of Ctrl-click.

Of course, there's also the Bookmarks Sidebar.
avada

Post by avada »

Hi custom.firefox.lady!

Could/will you make this compatible with FF56? I only want to use it for the locationbar dropdown, for which it's completely broken.

Not sure what changed, but I hope it's an easy fix.
custom.firefox.lady wrote:I'm still hoping to get it into 57 Nightly.

Getting the patch landed will potentially benefit a lot of people. Nightly will soon move to fx 57. An ext update will quickly become useless to anyone except those on Nightly with appropriate pref flipped, and still could be broken again soon by further fx code changes. Ext would also need updated to work with my patch. It simply isn't worth the time ATM. You will need to either accept the inconvenience, or move off the Nightly channel for now.
Just saw this. His issue was 56, as is mine. Since the addon is fully broken on FF56 people are left without this feature. I highly doubt they'd risk uplifting something like this to beta, this close to merge day.
If it doesn't require huge code rewrites it would be the best to leave the last FF version with XUL addon support with a working addon.
Also, there'll be people who won't just update to v57, all of whom are heavy addon users. The kind of people surely most of your user base consists of. Don't forget us. :)

Also, that bug does not include the locationbar results. Which who knows when, if ever will be implemented. They might WONTFIX it, as they often do with potentially useful features. (Sometimes even after working on them for months...)