[Ext] Add Bookmark Here ²

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
PowerAccess

Re: [Ext] Add Bookmark Here ²

Post by PowerAccess »

Likewise for me this breaks core Firefox functionality for v55 (Developer/Beta/Nightly editions) . I have Firefox 55.0b1 (64-bit) Developer Edition (aurora channel), and is broke Firefox with the update installed today. It was very frustrating trying to track down the source of backwards/forwards navigation being broken by this out of 60+ installed extensions, especially since this should have nothing to do with such core Firefox features. This was supported by several users since May 17. Please fix ASAP!!
PowerAccess

Post by PowerAccess »

[Edited with New 2.0 Version of Fix and Instructions on 6/19/2017]

DOWNLOAD LINK - For My Version of Add Bookmark Here 2 FIXED for Firefox v55 (Developer/Beta/Nightly Editions)

This is needed for current versions of the Developer/Beta/Nighty editions and may also avoid currently unnoticed or future problems with Firefox stable edition too.

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. Download my fixed version by clicking Download on above linked to download page
  2. Enable Unsigned Extension Support via xpinstall.signatures.required=false (as this fixed version hasn't yet been signed by the Add Bookmark Here 2 developer):
    1. Go to about:config
    2. Type in "xpinstall.signatures.required" (without quotes)
    3. Double click xpinstall.signatures.required to set it to false if it isn't already.
  3. Drag-drop the downloaded file (abhere2@moztw.org.xpi) onto the Add-ons Manager in Firefox.
    1. NOTE: Drag-dropping onto Add-ons Sidebar (with All-in-One Sidebar) WILL NOT WORK. It just shows "Downloaded" status and never finishes installing. Instead, you can type about:addons into the URL bar, go there, and then drag-drop onto that full Add-ons Manager page.
BUGS FOUND & FIXED:
I identified that the root cause of Add Bookmark Here 2's incompatibility with Firefox v55 (from Developer, Beta, and Nightly editions) is that it its own VERY OUTDATED version of browser-places.js (found in the extension xpi zip archive at \chrome\content\rollback\browser-places.js).
Its use of that might cause other problems or limitations even for versions of Firefox earlier than v55, as well as more issues going forward, because it completely overrides use of Firefox's own browser-places.js file, from which it appears to be missing a lot of it (for new features, fixes, etc.).

CHANGES MADE:
According, I removed browser-places.js from the extension, and edited line 22 of bug1219794.xul (found in the xpi archive at: \chrome\content\rollback\bug1219794.xul) to:

Code: Select all

<script type="application/x-javascript" src="chrome://browser/content/browser-places.js"/>
This way it always uses the latest version of this file from Firefox going forward.
Alternatively, if some modifications are needed, you could download the latest from chrome://abhere2/content/rollback/browser-places.js and modify it or ideally just add another script import which contains any needed changes.
Last edited by PowerAccess on June 19th, 2017, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
avada

Post by avada »

xeonx wrote:Enable Unsigned Extension Support via xpinstall.signatures.required=false (as this fixed version hasn't yet been signed by the Add Bookmark Here 2 developer):

Go to about:config
Type in "xpinstall.signatures.required" (without quotes)
Double click xpinstall.signatures.required to set it to false if it isn't already.
I'd like to note that this won't work on beta or stable. Only nightly and developer edition.
But there's another method to disable signature checks: https://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/14/overr ... quirement/

Edit:
Also it fails to install on ff55 beta, even when you do override signature checks, with this message: "This add-on could not be installed because it appears to be corrupt."
harl windwolf

Post by harl windwolf »

xeonx, the Cancel button still doesn't work though.

PS: Also, simply dragging the .xpi file onto the Add-ons Manager is sufficient to install it (in Nightly).
PowerAccess

Post by PowerAccess »

Hi harl windwolf,
Yep, though that's worked in the past for me (at least for signed extensions) and was the first thing I had tried here, drag-drop onto Add-ons Manager railed in this case, just showing the addon (at the bottom or after filtering to see it) with "Downloading..." status and never completes the install. I tried both with (though not updated for my changed files) and without the signing information / file hashes, and neither case works. Maybe its the fact that its unsigned.
The addon developer will need to fix the Cancel button issue. I just either click outside of dialog to close or Remove Bookmark to undo adding in the mean time as a workaround. My concern was just making it so that Add Bookmark Here 2 didn't completely break core Firefox backwards/forwards navigation and ability to create/edit/view status of bookmarks.
PowerAccess

Post by PowerAccess »

It seems that drag-drop onto Addons Sidebar - due to an All-in-One Sidebar bug - is what fails, causing to just show "Download" status and never complete the install. I updated the install instructions with a workaround.

Also, I re-released a 2.0 version of the fixed addon which has the Options dialog working again.
zephyrer

Post by zephyrer »

xeonx wrote:It seems that drag-drop onto Addons Sidebar - due to an All-in-One Sidebar bug - is what fails, causing to just show "Download" status and never complete the install. I updated the install instructions with a workaround.

Also, I re-released a 2.0 version of the fixed addon which has the Options dialog working again.
Hmmm, it works again! Just a good job, thanks alot.
marty60

Post by marty60 »

xeonx, working good again here too, thanks for fixing it. Hopefully yuoo2k will return and take care of the few remaining minor issues.
PowerAccess

Post by PowerAccess »

Glad I could help.

I believe I was able to contact yuoo2k via email, providing this fix and mentioning the Cancel button issue harl windwolf had reported, so hopefully we may see a signed public release with these fixes soon.
yuoo2k

Post by yuoo2k »

Hello,

About ABH2 causes the Firefox 55+ back/forward navigation broken, I have submit to AMO a new version v55.0.20170705 which remove the browser-places.js that causes the problem. Waiting for AMO reviews, you should see it in few days.
--

The Mozilla team decided to drop XUL based extensions since v57 (November 14th), it will only run WebExtensions.
https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2017/02 ... ilestones/

Due to ABH2 is totally based on hacking Firefox's XUL code, migrate to WebExtension that means totally rewrite the extension, it is impossible for me now.
So, it might be the end.

Thanks your support for those 10 incredible years.
PowerAccess

Post by PowerAccess »

Thanks, yuoo2k, for publishing my fix.
Also, it seems that Remove Bookmark/Cancel button is working with that release.
PowerAccess

Post by PowerAccess »

yuoo2k,

Yes, it is unfortunate that Firefox is pushing to completely remove XUL support, instead of just discouraging it, as there are a few extensions that can't or won't be ported to it.

I think I can speak for the community in saying: thank you so much for all your hard work in creating this, and the many hours of time and frustration you have saved everyone by doing so!!

Will you please consider at least an attempt to port to WebExtensions if it all possible, as this is one of the critical extensions that makes Firefox worth using over Chrome.

Also, can you release this source code this on GitHub and update the addon page with warning about the future, link to source on GitHub, and request for volunteers to help port it?
PowerAccess

Post by PowerAccess »

All Add Bookmark Here users,
Is there anyone who may be able to assist in porting this to WebExtensions so we can ensure this addon remains for Firefox, or help in finding those who can?
randomgoti

Post by randomgoti »

*edit: nvm i was blind to not see the answer*
Last edited by randomgoti on July 18th, 2017, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
alvineng501

Post by alvineng501 »

I am currently using Firefox 54.0.1 64 bit and found that it is NOT compatible with the latest version of "Add Bookmark Here" version 55! I was then able to load an older version, 52, which has been working fine!