Can't get Yahoo mail

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
BillyDick

Can't get Yahoo mail

Post by BillyDick »

Started yesterday! Asks for password then times out! Can't get Yahoo mail!
Is this a Thunderbird or a Yahoo problem?
Please advise!
LIMPET235

Re: Can't get Yahoo mail

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
It's most probably Yahoo playing with things....again.
There are a few threads on the subject.
#1...For ref; > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3031849
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
BillyDick

Post by BillyDick »

LIMPET235:

Thanks for the reply! I hope this is not another "Delete your Yahoo account and reenter." situation, like we had last year.

Another "Hurry up and wait" scenario!
leishirsute

Post by leishirsute »

Yahoo support tweeted to me that they had to repair an IMAP server and we needed reset our server settings. They said they changed nothing, but I don't believe them. When I asked for clarification about which settings, they stated "IMAP". Very lousy support. This problem is also in Seamonkey email client. They said that the password app security needs to be set for Thunderbird/Seamonkey in Yahoo accounts, but I told them that I have "Allow less secure apps" setting set and it had been working without problem.
I believe they introduced the problem. Or exposed a Thunderbird/Seamonkey problem?

Here is the reason it may be on the Thunderbird/Seamonkey side.
My Android Email client on my phone has no issue with IMAP access to Yahoo.
So I'm thinking there is some incompatibility with Thunderbird/Seamonkey IMAP to Yahoo.

I ended up setting up a POP account, called YAHOO - POP, in Seamonkey to the same email address.
It can access my Yahoo email but it does not see my custom IMAP folders.

Frustrating
Eqwatz

Post by Eqwatz »

I am willing to bet you got an email about an unfamiliar device attempting to log in to yahoo email. That means that the string sent as id contains the frikking version number--which has changed. This is a stupid bug.

Last time I had to make a new entry in the mail account for Yahoo and nuke the old one. Worked fine until the update.
Last edited by Eqwatz on July 18th, 2017, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BillyDick

Post by BillyDick »

Just added Yahoo mail to Windows 10 Mail App and was able to get all of Yahoo's mail with no problem!
I guess that proves that there is a disconnect between Yahoo Mail and Thunderbird.
I guess I'll be uninstalling Thunderbird!
mrivers

Post by mrivers »

leishirsute wrote:Yahoo support tweeted to me that they had to repair an IMAP server and we needed reset our server settings. They said they changed nothing, but I don't believe them. When I asked for clarification about which settings, they stated "IMAP".

So I'm thinking there is some incompatibility with Thunderbird/Seamonkey IMAP to Yahoo.
Surely there's a solution to this, but where to go for help? Yahoo said we needed to reset our server settings? Which server settings? In Thunderbird? What's there is correct. The only question I have is that according to the Yahoo instructions on setting up imap in Thunderbird:

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server

Server - imap.mail.yahoo.com
Port - 993
Requires SSL - Yes

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server

Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Port - 465 or 587
Requires SSL - Yes
Requires authentication - Yes

Outgoing server requires authentication. I've always had "Normal Password selected here. Is it possible that it's necessary to use one of the other settings here? I have SSL enabled on both incoming and outgoing servers, and I have 2-step authentication turned off in Yahoo (I checked that first to be sure it hasn't been reset to 2-step).
therealrayf

Post by therealrayf »

Everything was working OK last night - but yahoo accounts not working at all today!!!! And no update to the previous posts. However it is not only Yahoo accounts that seem to be affected! What is happening?

:|
leishirsute

Post by leishirsute »

mrivers wrote:
leishirsute wrote:Yahoo support tweeted to me that they had to repair an IMAP server and we needed reset our server settings. They said they changed nothing, but I don't believe them. When I asked for clarification about which settings, they stated "IMAP".

Surely there's a solution to this, but where to go for help? Yahoo said we needed to reset our server settings? Which server settings? In Thunderbird? What's there is correct. The only question I have is that according to the Yahoo instructions on setting up imap in Thunderbird:

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server

Server - imap.mail.yahoo.com
Port - 993
Requires SSL - Yes

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server

Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Port - 465 or 587
Requires SSL - Yes
Requires authentication - Yes

Outgoing server requires authentication. I've always had "Normal Password selected here. Is it possible that it's necessary to use one of the other settings here? I have SSL enabled on both incoming and outgoing servers, and I have 2-step authentication turned off in Yahoo (I checked that first to be sure it hasn't been reset to 2-step).
Yahoo support was aggravatingly ambiguous about what to reset and stated "IMAP".
I'm not sure the problem is on their side and other email clients such as Android and Google gmail can access my Yahoo accounts.

I've implemented what I hope to be a workaround (certainly don't want to stay with this setup). It 's described in this forum url.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14756535
Last edited by leishirsute on July 18th, 2017, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woefully

Post by woefully »

leishirsute wrote:It 's described in this forum url. I wish there was a way to get a link to an individual post.
There is, the link is in the small button next to the date/time.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

leishirsute:

Right click on the little square to the left of the timestamp (such as Posted 18 Jul 2017 09:22 am) and select "copy link location" from the context menu to get a link to a specific post. For example, http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14756496 goes to fdisk2k's post about disabling secure connections as a workaround.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

therealrayf wrote: However it is not only Yahoo accounts that seem to be affected! What is happening?
The official support forum has numerous threads about yahoo problems, and there have been about a half dozen messages sent to the Thunderbird support mailing list about yahoo problems. So far it seems yahoo only. Note that this does not seem to be due to an upgrade of Thunderbird, it seems to be yet another temporary yahoo server problem that their admins will fix. Perhaps you are running into a different problem that also effects yahoo.
leishirsute

Post by leishirsute »

tanstaafl wrote:leishirsute:

Right click on the little square to the left of the timestamp (such as Posted 18 Jul 2017 09:22 am) and select "copy link location" from the context menu to get a link to a specific post. For example, http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14756496 goes to fdisk2k's post about disabling secure connections as a workaround.
Thank you!
leishirsute

Post by leishirsute »

tanstaafl wrote:
therealrayf wrote: However it is not only Yahoo accounts that seem to be affected! What is happening?
The official support forum has numerous threads about yahoo problems, and there have been about a half dozen messages sent to the Thunderbird support mailing list about yahoo problems. So far it seems yahoo only. Note that this does not seem to be due to an upgrade of Thunderbird, it seems to be yet another temporary yahoo server problem that their admins will fix. Perhaps you are running into a different problem that also effects yahoo.
So far, Yahoo IMAP is accessible via my android phone, my ipad, my gmail account. Seamonkey/Thunderbird are having the problems.
onix

Post by onix »

+1 to the list of users that can access using iPhone, https, etc. but not on Thunderbird 52.2.1 (32-bit) on Win10Pro 64-bit