[Ext] uBlock Origin

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Mupasa

Re: [Ext] uBlock Origin

Post by Mupasa »

ICQ5 wrote: try the Ublock Origin Dev Beta https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... sions/beta specially when using Firefox Nightly
uBlock Origin v1.13.7rc4, same problem. If used one content process (as me) browser needs to restart. You have this problem or not?
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

Mupasa wrote:uBlock Origin v1.13.7rc4, same problem. If used one content process (as me) browser needs to restart. You have this problem or not?
I don't see uBO being your issue. The web page is nearly 12 MB, the downloading of the page is the issue. uBO starts to do its work after the DOM of the page has been fully downloaded (uBO does nothing until the page's basic DOM is fully loaded), and account for single-digit percent of the whole page load time. Unfortunately for some reasons I can't see the debug symbols when profiling with Nightly, I would be able to see where it's blocking in Nightly's code. Things of course gets better with more than 1 content process, I can switch to other tabs and these stays responsive despite the massive 12 MB ongoing download.

Edit: With Firefox 54, uBO's content script uses a bigger chunk of CPU, not unexpected for such a large page, I posted somewhere here that DOM performance has improved markedly in Nightly vs. Firefox stable. Still, uBO's content script was not the main culprit, I see Telemetry has the top CPU user:

Code: Select all

(root)
10735    Startup::XRE_InitChildProcess
             mozilla::Telemetry::ProcessedStack::Module*, mozilla::Telemetry::ProcessedStack::Module*)
                 std::_Rb_tree<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, [...]
             EventDispatcher::Dispatch
                 EventListenerManager::HandleEventInternal DOMContentLoaded
                     js::RunScript
 2091                    vAPI.domIsLoaded <<<< uBO
Even without uBO you will suffer lockup in other tabs because:
- you have only one content process
- the page is >11 MB

You can at least disable cosmetic filtering uBO for that site, this will prevent uBO from analyzing the DOM (but as said, in Nightly much less an issue).
Last edited by gorhill on July 16th, 2017, 1:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
toolong

Post by toolong »

I don't see uBO being your issue. The web page is nearly 12 MB,

I agree. The page is huge and it does take a long time to display. I wonder just what genius thought that one page was better than many smaller ones with a menu system?

I would sure hate to do that at 56k. :-)
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ gorhill - FYI, after getting update in Mozilla Firefox Nightly 56.0a1 (2017-07-19) (64-bit) from uBlock Origin 1.13.7rc4 to uBlock Origin 1.13.9b0,
uBlock Origin stopped working, as there are ads visible and there is no Block Origin button anymore in bar, same as Show Dashboard & Show Logger & Options buttons, there are no any warnings or errors in Browser Console.
Oddly, 'stable' uBlock Origin 1.13.8 seems unaffected when going back, same as downgrading to uBlock Origin 1.13.7rc4.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:@ gorhill - FYI, after getting update in Mozilla Firefox Nightly 56.0a1 (2017-07-19) (64-bit) from uBlock Origin 1.13.7rc4 to uBlock Origin 1.13.9b0,
uBlock Origin stopped working, as there are ads visible and there is no Block Origin button anymore in bar, same as Show Dashboard & Show Logger & Options buttons, there are no any warnings or errors in Browser Console.
Oddly, 'stable' uBlock Origin 1.13.8 seems unaffected when going back, same as downgrading to uBlock Origin 1.13.7rc4.
I've just reported this bug here with STR :wink: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/issues/2799
Sorry for my poor English.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

It would be "already", if you would report this before, not after me ;)
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:It would be "already", if you would report this before, not after me ;)
You are right, already fixed :wink:
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

Anybody has been able to install 1.13.9b0 on Firefox for Android beta (55)?

When I try I get a "extension corrupted" sort of error.
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

gorhill wrote:Anybody has been able to install 1.13.9b0 on Firefox for Android beta (55)?

When I try I get a "extension corrupted" sort of error.
Nothing happens after I click install. Don't know what to do.
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

GHM113 wrote:Nothing happens after I click install. Don't know what to do.
That's what I get also. I decided to try open the extension install link in a new tab, this is where I get the error message.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ gorhill - I get autoupdate from uBlock Origin 1.13.7rc4 to uBlock Origin 1.13.9b0 on Mozilla Firefox Mobile 54.0.1 on Android 6.0.1,
and it also doesn't work, like in - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14756796.
Virtualfox persona
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

gorhill wrote:That's what I get also. I decided to try open the extension install link in a new tab, this is where I get the error message.
I've just tried to open install link in a new tab, same error message: "extension corrupted".
Virtual_ManPL wrote:@ gorhill - I get autoupdate from uBlock Origin 1.13.7rc4 to uBlock Origin 1.13.9b0 on Mozilla Firefox Mobile 54.0.1 on Android 6.0.1,
and it also doesn't work, like in - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14756796.
I installed uBlock Origin 1.13.7rc4 but it looks like you can't update extensions manually.
GµårÐïåñ

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

This seems like another AMO issue as it has happened on other well known extension on the "desktop" channel in the past and they are very slow and non-committal in fixing these.

The way we "fixed" or should say Giorgio worked around it with NoScript was to push a minor update bump to replace the server copy and it pushed through whatever mess they had on their server by "re-initializing" the check and push, not sure if the "mobile" channel works the same way but worth looking into it. I know that when we tried to upload the same version with the same hash, it didn't make a difference, it held on to whatever mess their server had generated, hence the bump to force regeneration.

I can't guarantee that it would work here or that it is even handled the same, but based on historical methods and given how Mozilla is so slow to change anything, chances are it will still work. Just trying to help, I don't know for sure it will resolve THIS.
Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

When will uMatrix WebExtension be available on AMO? I can't find any documentation on github that gives an answer to this question.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

he wrote earlier the uBo currently is a hybrid. if you want it right now as a true WE the go to chrome store.