NoSquint Plus extension HAS STOPPED WORKING

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
DSperber

Re: NoSquint Plus extension HAS STOPPED WORKING

Post by DSperber »

Looks like version 54.0 of NoSquint Plus add-on has just been pushed out by the author.

Things are once again working.

I can't read the object code in the XPI so I don't know what he did at the source code level to fix the problem. But you guys can have a peek at the newest version and see what's been revised, and what his new approach is.
Endor

Post by Endor »

Thank you for the info.
I let you know what happen.
Cheers
Endor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:54.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/54.0
Endor

Post by Endor »

The Author has just changed this
to: 1500803326
T hats all.
That is the Release-date in Unix TC : Sunday, 23-Jul-17 09:48:46 UTC.
3 months, 24houers 60 Minutes and 60 seconds from this date it will stop working again.
I don't know why he make this.

Cheers
Endor
toolong

Post by toolong »

Will this extension survive the switch from Legacy to Web extension?
Endor

Post by Endor »

Since there is a Chrome Version available from the same author
I would say yes.
Cheers
Endor
toolong

Post by toolong »

Good. Thanks. I was not aware of that.
LewS

Post by LewS »

For those on Fx 52esr Version 50 works and does
not have this "expiration date" - just don't update.
DSperber

Post by DSperber »

Well, for me anyway even though I had manually installed version 50.0, sometime later (after a handful series of opens/closes of Firefox) the out-of-date version was automatically updated back to the latest 53.0. I then had to reinstall 50.0 again, fighting with the add-on which simply wanted to stay current. Perhaps there was some setting I could have set to prevent this automatic update.

Anyway, with his revised end-date in 54.0 I guess it's ok for now... at least for the next three months. Don't know what his point is.
toolong

Post by toolong »

Anyway, with his revised end-date in 54.0 I guess it's ok for now... at least for the next three months. Don't know what his point is.

In 'the old days' all (most) extensions had an expiration date. The purpose being that the dev only knew it was good this long, this many releases, and after so many things things had changed it needed to refresh. Perhaps that is the reason now.

I seriously don't think he is just trying to ruin your day. :-)

As for the updating? There is a setting, per extension, on the add-ons page.
LewS

Post by LewS »

I don't think he was trying to ruin my day, but he did
make it unpleasant. Most likely he was forcing a visit
to his site - so far as I can tell none of the releases
since 50 had any substantive changes, just an update
to the expiration date.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

I've only read a couple of posts here, but here's how it works -

It used to be like this -
The Tinsmith wrote:In 'the old days' all (most) extensions had an expiration date. The purpose being that the dev only knew it was good this long, this many releases, and after so many things things had changed it needed to refresh.
Then, a few years back, AMO started auto-updating extensions. Quick test to see if they blew anything up, didn't matter if the extension worked as intended or not and it was then bumped up as compatible to the next Firefox version. i.e. the author/dev doesn't have to be involved at all.

As far as I can tell, the reason was Mozilla doesn't want anything holding back from updating to the latest Firefox version, as that affects their marketshare figures. So, they didn't want someone not updating because their favourite extension hadn't been updated by the author for it.

Good/active extension devs still check their stuff and will cancel the compatibilty if they are not happy with how their stuff works with the latest Firefox. However, you can also get, and do, that extensions that haven't been touched by the author since 2010 that are still religiously bumped for the next Firefox release by AMO.

I sort of know, because I do have a few minor extensions on AMO.

Complete Themes were/are an exception to all that and it was made clear to AMO to stuff that idea up their backsides as only the author knows/tests their stuff properly if it will work and it is they, the authors, who retain the sole authority to version bump their own stuff. Our name on it, our rep, our decision.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
toolong

Post by toolong »

You know much more about the how and the why of this than I do Frank.

Thanks for the clarification.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

The Tinsmith wrote:Thanks for the clarification.
No problem. I got the impression from this and other threads that most people think it's the dev always updating the versions...and, no, that's not how it is.

Hopefully, I got your concerns and impressions about this right, as I did only skim read this thread. :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
DSperber

Post by DSperber »

The Tinsmith wrote:As for the updating? There is a setting, per extension, on the add-ons page.
Best I can tell, this is not universally the case.

For example I don't see where there is any option, on the add-ons page listing that installed NSP add-on or within the official "options" for the add-on itself, that controls automatic updating for NSP. I've never known how to control whether or not this one gets automatically updated. It just updates when the author pushes an update out, like today with 54.0.

In contrast, Ad Block Plus DOES have this "automatic updates" setting available for my setting WITHIN the "options" of the add-on. The value "DEFAULT" is checked by default, which apparently provides ongoing normal automatic updates. But ON and OFF are also available (however ON might differ from DEFAULT).
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Go to Add-on Manager, click More next to the description of the Extension in question.
Scroll down. You can turn off 'check for updates'.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.