Getting a lot of TLS handshake errors!

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
James

Re: Getting a lot of TLS handshake errors!

Post by James »

Besides the Antivirus clients causing this problem and the website themselves, another possibility is the date/time is incorrect on your system.
Deuce7

Post by Deuce7 »

James wrote:Besides the Antivirus clients causing this problem and the website themselves, another possibility is the date/time is incorrect on your system.
I checked my time and date, but there is nothing wrong with it. After all, the problem began only a few days ago. :-k
therube

Post by therube »

Have you tried restarting FF in Safe Mode?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
fulluphigh

Post by fulluphigh »

I want to add that I've started seeing the exact same issue just starting over the last two days. After being open for some 5-10 minutes, firefox stops being able to load <i>any</i> HTTPS secured domain, getting stuck with a "Performing a TLS handshake to < blabla >". It goes away when I restart the entire browser process, but has been coming back within ten minutes tops.
Deuce7

Post by Deuce7 »

therube wrote:Have you tried restarting FF in Safe Mode?
Thanks, this unearths NEW evidence that the problem is to do with Firefox.

I just tested by going to Flickr.com, and in normal mode, I can load the website homepage but cannot login due to the TLS handshake error.

It says, performing TLS handshake to login.yahoo.com and I cannot login. SMH.......... :roll: :evil: 8-[

I think my Yahoo emails may not open on Firefox.........I haven't checked YET.

When I start Firefox in Safe Mode, I cannot even access Flickr.com at all. Not even the homepage. Stuck in the TLS handshake loop. ](*,)

BUT.........on Chrome, NO PROBLEMS at all. I can access and login to Flickr easily.

Someone at Mozilla definitely screwed up Firefox in the past few days. Someone.
toolong

Post by toolong »

The last update to Firefox was 54.0.1 done on June 29, 2017. That, to me, sounds like something else.
Deuce7

Post by Deuce7 »

The Tinsmith wrote:

The last update to Firefox was 54.0.1 done on June 29, 2017. That, to me, sounds like something else.
Maybe it's a combination of the new update in Firefox which clashes with the way my ISP handles routing.... since even my Chrome cannot access Pixabay either.

But if Firefox cannot access my Yahoo emails (I've confirmed it can't) and large sites like Flickr and Fiverr whereas Chrome can, it does show up some glaring deficiencies in Firefox. Thankfully, Google domains are not affected.

Never experienced this issue before. I'm using Google DNS. But I will call up my ISP tomorrow to try to figure this out.
toolong

Post by toolong »

The sites that you named all work fine for me. Except Yahoo mail. I don't use Yahoo Mail. They get hacked too often for me. The basic Yahoo site works fine.

However if you like you could file a bug report but I would think that the problem is yours to fix and nothing that Mozilla could fix. Here's the link.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/
pompsteve

Post by pompsteve »

Could there be a way to just "disable" the TLS HANDSHAKE process in about:config?
I went into about:config and there are several items dealing with TLS.
Since 54.01, I`ve also noticed occasional hangs/loops with the TLS HANDSHAKE.
toolong

Post by toolong »

Could there be a way to just "disable" the TLS HANDSHAKE process in about:config?

That is not recommended. This is a security feature. It is protecting you.

You should read this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security

Turning it off would be like not locking your house. Or your car. Like handing out your banking information.

The solution is to find which one of your settings or extensions or third-party programs is at fault and then fix that.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

again - NO firefox issue
again - uninstall avast --> uninstall <-- NOT disable.

if you dont care please stop wasting our time.
Deuce7

Post by Deuce7 »

The problem is FIXED.

Nothing to do with AV or Firefox, although interesting nonetheless to see that Chrome could resolve some URLs that Firefox could not.

The problem was related to my Internet settings using the IPV6 protocol. Once I unticked that option to only use IPV4, the problem went away. It was always on all this while though, on my computer, so something changed in the past few days. #-o
therube

Post by therube »

I guess then the issue becomes, why did IPv6 suddenly start causing issues with your browsers?

Once I unticked that option to only use IPV4
You did this where, in FF itself, or in Windows?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Deuce7

Post by Deuce7 »

therube wrote:I guess then the issue becomes, why did IPv6 suddenly start causing issues with your browsers?

Once I unticked that option to only use IPV4
You did this where, in FF itself, or in Windows?
In Windows 7 Network settings. I had both IPV4 and 6 on.

I thought IPV6 is supposed to be the successor of IPV4, so I have no idea why it is causing all these problems now all of a sudden.

But maybe it's a good idea to also include advising people to check this as part of the standard troubleshooting steps.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

glad you solved it. but i see only very rare topics concerning ipv6 at least, i dont think its a common problem.