Restore Point

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
tommyk

Restore Point

Post by tommyk »

After my computer crashed causing me to lose most of my downloaded software, i.e., Firefox, Word, anti-virus/spyware, Thunderbird, etc. I am considering setting a restore point. However, it is my understanding that if I do so and need to get back to that point I may lose downloaded software including the ones I mentioned.

It's a real pain having to reloaded everything. With losing Thunderbird, not only did I lose the program but all saved email contacts, etc.

I got the computer up and running with all software but it has taken me quite a bit of time to do so and of course I can't remember everything I had which doesn't help!

Can anyone tell me if a restore point is worth setting and just how much "stuff" would I lose.

PS: Is this the right forum for this help?
Vitesse

Re: Restore Point

Post by Vitesse »

It's not really a Firefox problem per se, but I can recommend a little prog called Restore Point Creator, which will totally automate it without jumping through all the hoops of setting scheduled restore points in Windows. I have it set to create one daily - it's saved my bacon a couple of times! All you would 'lose' would be any system alterations since the last restore point - any documents would be retained as altered since then.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Moving to Mozillazine Tech
tommyk

Post by tommyk »

Would I lose any downloaded software like spyware blaster, word, thunderbird or any other software I downloaded. I lost them all when I did a system restore even after Windows said I wouldn't or "maybe" wouldn't.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Sounds like what you did was a Windows System Refresh rather than System Restore.

System Restore returns your computer to a specific point in time and only undoes changes made since that moment - so if you have installed something which has borked your computer or experienced a system crash you can go back to that safer point where it all still worked.

System Refresh essentially reinstalls a clean version of Windows and may delete downloaded programs.
tommyk

Post by tommyk »

I now see what the difference is between Refresh & Restore. So if I set a restore point and have to restore my computer to that point I will not lose any software I downloaded, like Thunderbird, Avast, Word, etc.?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

No.
It should not touch any of your loaded programs....

You can always back-up your "C" drive.....in case.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Hmm, I'm not so sure about that; if the system restore is to back before software updates were made.
On the one occasion I did that a bunch of updated programs no longer worked and had to be reinstalled.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

You could be correct MightyG.

Been a while since I added anything but then.....I always create a Restore Point beforehand....JIC.
Plus, I run ACRONIS TI & do weekly back-ups of my "C" drive.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Soothsayer

Post by Soothsayer »

For extra safety, I have a script that is run by a task in the scheduler to create a restore point on every system start (needs to run with system credentials).

You can do this by creating a VB script with the following code

Code: Select all

If WScript.Arguments.Count = 0 Then
	Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
	objShell.ShellExecute "wscript.exe", Chr(34) & WScript.ScriptFullName & Chr(34) & " Run", , "runas", 1
Else
	GetObject("winmgmts:\\.\root\default:Systemrestore").CreateRestorePoint "Startup Restore Point", 0, 100
End If
In addition, you should change the following registry key as newer versions of Windows normally prevent you from creating more than one restore point a day:

Code: Select all

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore]
"SystemRestorePointCreationFrequency"=dword:00000000