Able to Only Send One Message at a Time?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Eakamai

Able to Only Send One Message at a Time?

Post by Eakamai »

Hi Everyone!
This just started happening. And right when I was putting together the project to update my SM. ](*,)
I hesitate to upgrade now as I've read where upgrading isn't usually going to fix bugs like this.
And I've never had a bug like this. Been using Mozilla ever since it first appeared.

Since no more than a few days ago, I can only send one message and after attempting to send another one, I get an incorrect PW error message.
Hitting the 'Retry' button brings up the same message. And re-entering the PW, whether via keepass or manually, reproduces same error message.

Initially, I saved unsent message in drafts, shut down (mail & browser), clear cache, restart mail, re-opened message and sent it with no problem.
But after sending that one message, same error happened upon trying to send another.

At some point after receiving so many of these errors, I decided to shutdown ONLY the browser, and Voila, it sent ok. But that was initially upon discovering this error.
Yesterday and today, even with the browser closed, it does this, and now it seems to be foobared with every consecutive message, until i close and restart.
Mostly I can only send one message, then have to shut down, clean, restart, open mail, re-open message from drafts folder and send.

Settings have not changed since I installed this a very long time ago. Setup to require PW on send and receive but not to save any PWs.
Mail is on a rock solid clean XP system.

If this crazy behavior rings a bell with anyone could you please let me know what's happening here?
In the meantime, I'll try to troubleshoot this on another backup system in hopes of isolating the problem.
As always, I sincerely offer my thanks in advance for any help!
Peter Creasey

Re: Able to Only Send One Message at a Time?

Post by Peter Creasey »

It sounds like a problem with your ISP which is where your password is checked.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
therube

Post by therube »

I get an incorrect PW error message
Exact message?
Does Mail make a log of there error somewhere & if so, what does that show?

Test in Safe Mode.
Test in a new, clean Profile.

Proxy changes?

External causes - A/V changes, updates... ?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Eakamai

Post by Eakamai »

Peter Creasey wrote:It sounds like a problem with your ISP which is where your password is checked.
Thanks for the response Peter! This is what I suspect the most, as it seems to be intermittent.
I tested today and the first few times I could only send one at a time again. But kept testing (same account) and all of sudden, I could send two consecutive messages?!

I know our ISP just forced us to newer web GUI but that shouldn't change the client's behavior.
---------------------------
Aloha therube!!!!!!! :) Thank you for taking the time for this.
Exact message escapes me but I'll find out and post back.
I haven't had a chance to test backup system. I'd like to try that first.
Then I'll try safe mode and/or new profile.
No proxy. Don't know where to look for the log. Nothing in event logs.
No AV and haven't updated it other than [mostly portable] apps and such.

I'm off to test some more and will report back in about 15 min.

Thanks
Eakamai

Post by Eakamai »

Testing on backup system

Initial sending of first message failed with error:
Exact message:
Title: 'Login Failed' Login to server smtp.xxxxxx.net failed.
Three options 'Retry' 'Enter new password' 'Cancel'
With a nice big white question mark on a blue circle background ;)

Clicking 'Cancel' seemed to have sent the message as it's in my Sent folder?!

Next message sent with no problems. - I'm losing what little hair I have left over this. :)

Going back to test main system again.
Eakamai

Post by Eakamai »

Ok, went back to original system, first message failed, but after clicking cancel and saving it, re-opened it again and sent it w/ no problems.
From that point on every message sent didn't create errors - no problems.

Went back to backup system and sent two consecutive messages w/ no errors or problems.

ISP, Gotta be?!
Eakamai

It IS the ISP! But What If . . .

Post by Eakamai »

UPDATE

It's totally intermittent on both systems.
Mostly when I cancel out and get the 'Send message error...':

'Sending of the message failed.
The message could not be sent using Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.ourISP.net for an unknown reason.
Please verify that your Outgoing server (SMTP) settings are correct and try again.'

About 75% of the time I simply re-send and it goes. About 25% of the time it will error again.
But I don't need to close, clean and all that. I just keep hitting send and it eventually goes.

So it's the ISP for sure.
But if they try to hand me some Bravo Sierra about '...not supporting SM...' or other such duck & run tactics,
what can I counter with?
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

E, tell them you are using a Gecko-based browser that is fully capable. On another slant, you probably should want to update your SeaMonkey version from 2.35.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
isaacschemm

Re: It IS the ISP! But What If . . .

Post by isaacschemm »

Eakamai wrote:But if they try to hand me some Bravo Sierra about '...not supporting SM...' or other such duck & run tactics,
what can I counter with?
This is an email client issue, right?
Thunderbird would probably have the same problems as SeaMonkey and it would be harder for the ISP say they don't support that, because it's more widely used.
Eakamai

Post by Eakamai »

Thanks for all the replies and your time to look at this everyone! :)

Sure enough 2nd tier had me send ONE (1) message from their web gui and decided it's the client.
1. Only one message sent doesn't determine anything since it's an intermittent problem.
2. It's different using a client to utilize their servers than directly from their website? Not the same thing right?

Anyway, this problem is happening less and less. So I'll deal with it for awhile and see.

Peter: WOW, I hadn't realized that we're using that version. I had thought it was at least 2.38.
Been dealing with personal family tragedies & related nightmares for awhile and haven't had time for any maintenance.

I do remember going to that version but somehow I had thought I'd already upgraded again awhile ago.
Thanks Peter, for letting me know.

At any rate, I needed to confirm it was on the ISP side (which no I have no doubt) first.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Correct. Sending from webmail interface does not use same SMTP server as sending from an email client on your computer. Typical low-grade ignorant response from ISP tech support.

There probably are ISPs out there with decent tech support but I haven't run into one in 20 years. My first ISP in Ohio (toast.net) had excellent tech support back in the late 1970's but I moved away in 1977 so don't know if they've kept this up.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Eakamai

Post by Eakamai »

makaiguy wrote:Correct. Sending from webmail interface does not use same SMTP server as sending from an email client on your computer. Typical low-grade ignorant response from ISP tech support.

There probably are ISPs out there with decent tech support but I haven't run into one in 20 years. My first ISP in Ohio (toast.net) had excellent tech support back in the late 1970's but I moved away in 1977 so don't know if they've kept this up.
Thanks for your response! Judging by your handle it looks as though you've moved towards the ocean :?: :)

This problem is ongoing - for instance just now:
Sent first message with no problem. Second one took 2 times clicking 'Send'. This last one took 6 times!
SHEEESH. ](*,)
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Eakamai wrote:Judging by your handle it looks as though you've moved towards the ocean :?: :)
Good catch. :) "Towards", yes. "To", no. Central Ohio to inland South Carolina, via Michigan. This old page (sadly out of date) should explain all.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers