Thunderbird send but do not read emails

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
jng

Thunderbird send but do not read emails

Post by jng »

Everything seems normal in my updated windows 10 home.
Only Thunderbird suddenly cannot read any email from any mail provider (gmail, zoho,goddady etc. ). Gmail for instance recognizes that there are 9 new emails but then remains quietly trying to read them. I could wait an hour, no response.
I've backed up my profile and then installed a new Thunderbird. Same result.
All mail providers had been working fine with port 995 , ssl/tls and normal password.

The only strange thing I found is that my wifi was showing public while even avast was pointing it as private as I have set it up. The only way to change it back to private was to do it at the register. No other process worked.
But this has not solved the email reading issue.
Help please.
Thanks
jng
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird send but do not read emails

Post by DanRaisch »

* How is that mail account set up, as POP or IMAP?
* Any recent changes in your computer or software configuration that might be relevant?
(including OS or Thunderbird updates, adding extensions or themes, etc. and any security program updates)
jng

Post by jng »

DanRaisch wrote:* How is that mail account set up, as POP or IMAP?
* Any recent changes in your computer or software configuration that might be relevant?
(including OS or Thunderbird updates, adding extensions or themes, etc. and any security program updates)
Thanks
I have always worked with pop.
yes, there was a recent change. I've installed ExpressVPN and I tried to use Thunderbird without success.
Then I disabled VPN but Thunderbird was reading-dead.
Then I uninstalled VPN and Thunderbird was reading-dead after several restarts.
ExpressVPN swears it does not have anything to do with it. The only thing they do is go public instead of private. yes, that affected my windows 10 and I went to the register to change my private connection to the correct mode private.
Then I linked another computer to the same wifi, installed thunderbird and it worked fine.
Then I linked both computers with homegroup and copied thunderbird from the good computer to my notebook with the problem.
Unfortunately my notebook new Thunderbird presented the same problem.
My windows 10 seems to work fine, its troubleshooter does not show any problem. For me, it is clear that ExpressVPN did some change to windows 10 that has damaged Thunderbird. I cannot identify which one.
I tried to restore a previous version of windows 10 but - it does not matter which one - windows 10 keeps telling me that it cannot do it because there are problems.
My windows 10 image is old and I don't wish to go back that far.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Check the settings under Tools->Options->>Advanced->Network & Diskspace->Click on Settings button and make sure that "No proxy" or "Auto-dectect settings for this network" are selected.
jng

Post by jng »

Hi, Dan it has been auto-dectect and I changed it to No proxy. Same result
Funny that gmail was and still is telling me "downloading message 1 of 21" and of course it could stay like that for hours. No download.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

jng wrote:Hi, Dan it has been auto-dectect and I changed it to No proxy. Same result
Funny that gmail was and still is telling me "downloading message 1 of 21" and of course it could stay like that for hours. No download.
"Downloading message 1 of XX" and then no progress is typically a symptom of a message with some non-standards-compliant fault that causes TBird choke when trying to download it. Try logging into your web access to the account and deleting the oldest message not downloaded to TBird or moving it out of your Inbox.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
jng

Post by jng »

makaiguy wrote:
jng wrote:Hi, Dan it has been auto-dectect and I changed it to No proxy. Same result
"Downloading message 1 of XX" and then no progress is typically a symptom of a message with some non-standards-compliant fault that causes TBird choke when trying to download it. Try logging into your web access to the account and deleting the oldest message not downloaded to TBird or moving it out of your Inbox.
I've checked it and the problem cause it s not there, Makaiguy.
I am starting to believe that ExpressVPN has damaged port 995 in my windows 10. So the problem exists even after I uninstalled ExpressVPN and cleaned it from services (it was still running despite shutting and restarting windows 10 several times).
So how do I fix 995 or reinstall it in case it has gone?
Thanks
jng

Post by jng »

Well, guys, the problem did not belong to Thunderbird.
Yes, I was right in stating that ExpressVPN had corrupted something in my computer. But it was the the anti virus, Avast.
By exploring Avast there was no hint about the corruption. Avast said it had no issues at all; it was working perfectly. So I decided to run anyway the Avast repair program. (don't hit uninstall at the control panel, hit change). The Thunderbird problem disappeared. It is now working fine again.
Thanks to DanRaisch and Doug Wilson who tried to help me. If anyone comes up with the same problem then you know what solved it.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Support as the problem lay outside of Thunderbird.

Thanks for posting the actual source of the problem.