Seamonkey hanging ( v 2.46 )

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
TPR75

Seamonkey hanging ( v 2.46 )

Post by TPR75 »

There is some problem with SeaMonkey 2.46 or with websites these days. SM can't properly run/manage with scripts or they are "crippled" to work better with Chrome (most popular browser). Example:
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

There are links to daily NASA/astronomic pictures only. But it hangs for few seconds SeaMonkey and I can't do anything in such moment (it freezes all tabs/windows even if just one). It's not very annoying so I can live with it but sometimes on other sites it last longer (not regular visits so I can't give links).

I'm using ADB+ with custom filters only.
--
DanRaisch

Re: Seamonkey hanging ( v 2.46 )

Post by DanRaisch »

I split your post from its original location because it did not seem to be the same issue as the OP's.

Have you tried disabling AdBlock Plus to see if the problem continues on that site without that extension involved?
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

DanRaisch wrote:I split your post from its original location because it did not seem to be the same issue as the OP's.

Have you tried disabling AdBlock Plus to see if the problem continues on that site without that extension involved?
Didn't I quote OP/previous post? Must forget about it. Please re-connect it to original thread.

It was about "SeaMonkey not responding for some time (few/several seconds)". Some answers was rude and suggested problem with user other correctly (IMHO) suggested problems with SM 2.46 and I just confirmed it that SeaMonkey freezes while dealing with some scripts.

Disabling ADB+ on mentioned above site made it worse then before - not only NASA javascript (not blocked by me) but Google analytic JS made freeze last longer.
--
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

Unfortunately, when there aren't many people around, sometimes a rude response is the only response you can get.

All I can say is that I'm on 2.49 (I built it from the WIP source a couple weeks ago) and it works OK for me. Probably the issue is either the SeaMonkey version, the computer itself, or something in the profile.

You could always make a 2nd profile (Tools > Switch Profile), switch back and forth, and compare.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

isaacschemm wrote: You could always make a 2nd profile (Tools > Switch Profile), switch back and forth, and compare.
Thanks to "-no-remote" I can run other/new profile without switching. But no there is no change in SeaMonkey behavior (including update of SM and ADP+).

I can imagine that some sites can freeze SeaMonkey for longer and we can't do anything with it because blocking all java scripts will cripple websites and make them unusable.
--
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

TPR75 wrote:
isaacschemm wrote: I can imagine that some sites can freeze SeaMonkey for longer and we can't do anything with it because blocking all java scripts will cripple websites and make them unusable.
There are some websites that work just fine with JavaScript off. I leave it off sometimes on my phone (using a Firefox for Android extension.)
therube

Post by therube »

While the page itself is "basic", it is fairly large (600 KB), though that in & of itself shouldn't particularly be an issue.

uBlock shows it is blocking (using the EasyPrivacy fllter):

||digitalgov.gov/universal-federated-analytics-min.js

Page loads rather well with that in place.
But takes a decent bit longer if I disable that filter.

(Pluto flyover was neat.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript