Issue with NoScript... Wrong place for this?

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
dfoulkes

Issue with NoScript... Wrong place for this?

Post by dfoulkes »

Today, I was in the add-ons mgr. and I wanted to research an add-on that a user talked about in this forum... so, I clicked on 'Get add-ons' in the manager display. The loading circle appeared and never came up with the normal displayed data. I clicked on the close-tab X that I have and the browser froze. Hmmm... I thought... forced Firefox closed, tried it again... same thing... worked on it for about 15 minutes then tried the same thing in my test profile... same problem... Tried Firefox safe-mode... all was well then.

Then I check for 'recent updates' and noted Flagfox and NoScript were updated on the 27th... disabled Flagfox... same problem... then I disabled NoScript, restarted Firefox and I do not have the problem now...tested many times. I also noticed that it stuck on 'Looking up Discovery.addons.mozilla.org' (maybe the . wasn't after the word Discovery... don't remember).

So... I believe everybody knows that the extension NoScript is pretty hard to work with at times... at least it is for me... anybody have any ideas on what to turn off or on or ?? I don't think that I put into... or clicked on anything in that extension to affect the add-ons page... I think :-"
Last edited by dfoulkes on July 29th, 2017, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Grumpus

Re: Issue with NoScript... Wrong place for this?

Post by Grumpus »

@dfoulkes - the page Discovery.addons.mozilla.org gets a Mozilla page notification for a 404
I don't know where you got the discovery from. Try just addons.mozilla.org
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

Grumpus wrote:@dfoulkes - the page Discovery.addons.mozilla.org gets a Mozilla page notification for a 404
I don't know where you got the discovery from.
This is the URL of the iframe used on the "Get Add-ons" pane in the about:addons page. For example, on my side it is:
https://discovery.addons.mozilla.org/en ... nux/normal

The full path is needed or else it is 404.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Does the NoScript menu show any scripts not Allowed?

If not, when this issue occurs, do you see anything related in the Browser Console? (Ctrl-Shift-J)
(if you don't know what's related, turn off CSS warnings and post everything else you see)

EDIT Actually this maybe the same problem - https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... =7&t=22299
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

I checked the poster's solution of turning of the cross site sanitizing and it was opposite (on) but the idea an extension is causing the problem could be it .
Also it might not hurt to look at the item noscript.untrusted in about:config to see if it was listed.
This can be edited out but watch the spacing and punctuation and make note of any change.

@gorhill - dfoulkes is using Windows, that link is specific for Linux. I have no issues like dfoulkes described.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Grumpus wrote:@dfoulkes - the page Discovery.addons.mozilla.org gets a Mozilla page notification for a 404
I don't know where you got the discovery from. Try just addons.mozilla.org
On the lower-left portion of the Firefox add-ons page...when a user clicks on 'Get add-ons' ... it looks like an info line to inform the user what it is doing...

I can get the the addons site via a bookmark etc... it's just locking up when I click from the add-ons listing page.

I do see other posts here but I wanted to answer this one.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Some strange things going on here. Checked again (Get addons) and this profile froze again. Restarted it and was looking around... noticed that the NoScript icon on my add-on bar showed a line thru it... even on this page... which was not normal. Moused over that icon and it showed that 'all scripts globally' as on. I've always stayed away from that setting and it seems to have gotten turned on with the latest update. Anyway, turned it off, tried that Get addons again and it still froze ](*,) ... killed Firefox, started it up and now I don't have that problem...

And believe me... I never turned it on so it must have triggered it at the update.... that's all that I can think of... unless I have some bad stuff running around in here... ran my four different (stand-alone) checkers and they came up clean.

So, thank you all for your help on this...it seems to be cleared up 'for now'.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi df,
re; The last update, if as you say, of No Script may have caused the change to it's settings, then
I'd be going to their forum & asking why & if anyone else has seen/noticed a similar issue.
Just an idea.

Moving this to the Tech. Forum...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Go to Add-On manager, click on Remove, reset any remaining about:config settings and enjoy the Web.... ? :twisted:
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I visited that NoScript link that Brummelchen posted for me and if I recall correctly... I did see the same problem posted there... but then I took a few days off from computers, came back (info posted above) and it's working now.... as long as it still works I'm going to stay away from that site... too much goes on in ones head... if you know what I mean. ... but if it hits again I will venture over there and post... Hey... and thanks for keeping tabs on me :lol: .
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@dfoulkes - for what it's worth.
Usually the line through the icon means something is blocked or there is a warning.
Secondly: Un-check "Scripts allowed globally(dangerous)
Any settings questions for a specific setting just ask.
People don't seem to like it because they have to make sure the settings are OK but for the most part the defaults are good.
Somethings which you might want to look at:
The Whitelist tab, make sure there's nothing in the list which shouldn't be there, you'll still be able to open those sites as long as you haven't declared them as untrusted.
Appearance Tab: make sure Allow scripts globally is unchecked there as well.
Notifications Tab : check the following
Show message about blocked sites (look at the settings) - Place message at the bottom - Hide after x# seconds, more may be better for a good decision.
Check the following: XSS; Show message about blocked META redirections; ABE (applications boundary enforcer); Clearclick Warning
Also but subjective: Audio feedback and display of release notes
Anything on the advanced tab PM me. Same for General Tab
NoScript works fine if you take a little time in the beginning and it holds your changes during updates, there's also A:C editing which can help if needed.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I guess it was not 'exactly' a line... though at first... it looked like it... it was that red exclamation mark. After doing some minor look-up on some of that stuff I realized that it was the global-allow setting.
NoScript works fine if you take a little time in the beginning and it holds your changes during updates
Yep... after years of using it ... and at first I did review all of its works... it was working fine... then bam! ... I have to assume that the update did the change.... but you know... 'old' fingers have a way of doing their own thing :-" ... but for now, I'll blame it on the update... after all, I never make a mistake :)
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Me either, just ask Mighty. ;)