Firefox vs. Chrome, dom.storage and html5...

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
DanRaisch

Re: Systematic sabotage of Firefox in favour of Chrome

Post by DanRaisch »

Given that result, you might want to change the subject line of this thread.
Credence

Re: Firefox vs. Chrome, dom.storage and html5...

Post by Credence »

done, thanks
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

There is (presumably) no control over dom.storage in Chrome
because it makes no sense to screw on LSO as you experienced yourself. at first LSO (dom storage) is nothing bad. but websites could also use it for its special purpose and that might not ok. for chrome there exists several extensions - search for "local storage" and check them out.
"monster cookies" is a true myth - possible but not with a decent ad-blocker like uBlock. you listen too much to the wrong people. its ok to read facts but not all conclusions are right. a browser offers only options - its the website to use it.

reason: spelling
Last edited by Brummelchen on August 3rd, 2017, 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Credence

Post by Credence »

Even ordinary cookies can be abused, just remember the indestructible google UID. I like the CookieCuller extension, it lets you keep reasonable cookies. Ideally I'd want the same for managing LSOs.

May have to do some more research on uses of these objects, I don't want to sound paranoid. But websites usually don't have user privacy in mind, rather the opposite, making money out of our data...
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

for chrome: go "localstorage manager" or "privacy manager"
but - you can not prevent it in special, you have to clean it afterwards (same for firefox) - there is no option.

cookieculler -> "vanilla cookie manager" or "cookie autodelete" (includes delete cookies when tab closed)

but that all can not help you against collecting data - use uBlock and activate the host file lists.

there is one to learn - you can filter websites to death, but with some few blocking lists it is possible to keep the trash an the paranoia out.

its up on you to get this or to experience on your own. there is no one here to tell you what is right or wrong concerning your mind.
gorhill

Re: Systematic sabotage of Firefox in favour of Chrome

Post by gorhill »

Credence wrote:There is (presumably) no control over dom.storage in Chrome, hence the difference. Thanks again!
There is, the setting is called "Cookies" but it also applies to DOM storage. The default behavior can be set in the "Advanced Settings" section, and overridden one way or another on a per-hostname basis using the menu popping when clicking the site's info (immediately to the left of the URL in the address bar on any given site).
kreemoweet

Post by kreemoweet »

I had to revert that setting, and perhaps some related ones, to allow gmail to work a few weeks ago.

You can view the different sorts of storage that a particular website might be using with the FF Developer Tools Storage Inspector, which is included in all recent versions of FF (might need to be "activated").

Some of the usual cookie settings also apply to some of these other storage types. The particulars remain very unclear to me.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... _Inspector indicates no control (other than viewing) at present.