The Official 20170807 builds are out

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
toolong

Re: The Official 20170807 builds are not yet out

Post by toolong »

WildcatRay wrote:What many of us are waiting for are those add-ons that can be, are, in fact, converted to WebExtensions.

As I understand it there has been a very long time for this.

There are some that can not be "updated" because what they did/do can no longer be done. And there are others that can only do "some of the stuff" that they used to do. And there are others that the developer has abandoned. And there are some that can be, and have been, converted to Web-Ex. uBlock Origin for an example.

My guess, and it just what it is, is you have not seen any activity yet? You won't see much later.

Sorry about that.
toolong

Post by toolong »

I've problem with essentials options from extensions, for example forcing external links to open in new tab in foreground, possible only with TMP, now it is death also....
Do you mean you want to open a link in Firefox from Firefox in a new tab with focus. I think Firefox does that "built-in". Cheek in 'settings'.
Xetmes

Post by Xetmes »

The Tinsmith wrote:
Cheek in 'settings'.
Nope, option in Firefox is very simple, I've set in TMP options to open new tabs only for external links, from search bar, this is bit more complicated. For example links from same domain opens in same tab. ;)
toolong

Post by toolong »

Xetmes wrote:
The Tinsmith wrote:
Cheek in 'settings'.
Nope, option in Firefox is very simple, I've set in TMP options to open new tabs only for external links, from search bar, this is bit more complicated. For example links from same domain opens in same tab. ;)

Hmm.. I understand now but did not understand before. Sadly, IIUC you are of-of-luck with TMP.
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

Unless Mozilla has change of heart and starts to support legacy add-ons (0% chance) get on board the Webextensions bus now. I had lots of legacy add-ons and decided months ago to use only WE add-ons. Sure I missed some of them right off the bat but after awhile I found replacements for the ones I considered crucial and learned to live without the others. I've worked with some developers who converted over to WE and they all agree that it's not nearly as powerful as the legacy method. I can't tell you how many devs would tell me that this or that was possible using WE but then after looking at the APIs and whatnot discovered a way to do it. Devs are under a learning curve. Some devs have spent years on their add-ons and instead of trying to find methods to make it work under WE, which could be a total rewrite, don't want to do it all over again.

My experience with We's might not be typical, your mileage might vary.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
toolong

Post by toolong »

My experience with We's might not be typical, your mileage might vary.
My experience was similar.

I never used a large number of extensions anyway and when Web-Ex was announced I looked for 'replacements' Some did. Some did not. I found that some I needed to learn to not have and some I wondered just why I had them in the first place.

What I find confusing is the number of users, that are using the "Nightly" builds, who are surprised when the 'poo' hit the fan with FF 57.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

streetwolf wrote:Devs are under a learning curve. Some devs have spent years on their add-ons and instead of trying to find methods to make it work under WE, which could be a total rewrite, don't want to do it all over again.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14722346
Mozilla shills attempt to portray Firefox extension devs as lazy devils too idle to take on board what is on offer (and so make it seem like their fault when the stuff vanishes) What the shills are not telling you, despite mentioning the term 'APIs' over and over and over again, is this - those APIs do not exist yet, even in a test form. Even then, Mozilla are also already committed to the same 'don't touch our UI' policy, as Google Chrome and so you'll end up with this for Firefox - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

Frank Lion wrote:[...]as Google Chrome and so you'll end up with this for Firefox - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions
Meanwhile at Chrome Web Store there is too much POO, literally... :vamp:
Thankfully by editor pick, we can finally clean all this mess with toilet paper
Image :banana: \:D/ :monkey:
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
Edds

Post by Edds »

Lurtz wrote:Changing tab position by dragging tabs on the tab strip is broken for me. Is there already a ticket for this?
I can confirm this. Don't know about a ticket.
Laptop: Intel Core i5 1240P | 16GB DDR4 | 500GB NVMe | 1080p | Win 11
Phone: Samsung S24 Ultra | Android 14
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

Is this a new feature? :-k
Sorry for my poor English.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

Anyone noticed new tabs just load an "undefined" page in the child page? It doesn't load about:blank anymore
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

New tab gives me a search bar and Top Sites
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

malliz wrote:New tab gives me a search bar and Top Sites
IF you change it to blank tab in the top right, what does it change your new tab open to?
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Also, if using CTR, the setting in Tabs page one has a New Tab setting that might work for you... It does for me on 52 using XP
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln