Changes in Firefox 57

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Brummelchen

Re: Changes to Extensions in Firefox 57

Post by Brummelchen »

I'm thinking if I'm gonna stay at v56, might as well get some advantage out of it.
very bad idea as v57 fixes security holes as usual. thats why most people here recommend v52esr NOW and not then.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

The Tinsmith wrote:So this article is incorrect?

"You cannot downgrade Firefox 55 profiles"
Certainly you making a connection to my post above is incorrect. Anyone testing beta and alpha software and not making profile backups as they go along, should be shot in the face.

And, in an age where 2TB ext hdds cost just a few bucks, then anyone not keeping those old profiles going right back should not only be shot in the face, but dumped in the ocean as well.

However, should that be you and you haven't backed up and wish to revert to an earlier alien lifeform or even to an earlier Firefox version, then just follow this - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... ew_profile

Although I wrote there about moving places.sqlite just be aware that if anything is going to blow up then it's likely to be that. So, just do an 'Export to HTML' of your bookmarks first from the old profile (you'll lose history, favicons and Tags, as I recall)

Forget gHacks - bunch of hacks, if you want to know anything around here then ask Alice Wyman,who knows everything that is worth knowing - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/in ... scuss/7098

avada wrote:
Larusek wrote:Yeah, frankly I knew it would happen one day of course. ESR or Waterfox-like builds will buy me some time. But the end is near I guess :/
Is there a "what custom build to use when ff57 hits" thread yet?

I'm thinking if I'm gonna stay at v56, might as well get some advantage out of it.
The nearest to a 'what custom build....' is Aris's sig, I reckon.

Trouble with trying to find a replacement browser for Firefox is one, rather obvious, problem - there is a good chance that even the default Firefox is not a replacement for your Firefox, so how likely is it that anything else will be?

It's not, is it? So, either get good at adapting how you use and think about your 'browser of choice' or get damn good at using a sandbox and even better at writing about:config site specific UA overrides when they tell you that you are using a really old feeble unsupported browser and should immediately download Chrome to view their site.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
toolong

Post by toolong »

Certainly you making a connection to my post above is incorrect. Anyone testing beta and alpha software and not making profile backups as they go along, should be shot in the face.

I was not throwing darts at you Frank. I was asking a question of someone I see as knowledgeable. Sorry if you took it wrong. As for backups and multiple profiles? I seriously doubt that most of those that I see here do that.

I have said, in other posts, that I don't have this extension problem. All three of mine have already switched.

Good day.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Frank Lion wrote: However, should that be you
Which of course it's not, as Mr. I'm All Right Jack barely uses extensions and seems to like smugly baiting those who do.
As Trippy correctly pointed out, during this charming related discussion, he might as well be using Chrome...

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14398451
Last edited by mightyglydd on August 7th, 2017, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

The Tinsmith wrote:
I was not throwing darts at you Frank.
Yeah, I know.

When I'm suggesting something to regular Release users then I'll take the time and spell things out - #1, #2, #3, etc. But I use a shorthand with alpha build users, as I expect them to already know this stuff and what precautions to take.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Flashblock while partially broken now for some time quit altogether with the latest m-c win32 update. Have it disabled at the moment.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

Last edited by Mouse5 on August 7th, 2017, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toolong

Post by toolong »

ICQ5 wrote:Mozilla may be working on a new, flatter, Firefox logo for version 57 https://www.neowin.net/news/mozilla-may ... version-57 , dunno if anyones posted about that as i did look but didnt see anything

It has been in Nightly for several days.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

Last edited by Mouse5 on August 8th, 2017, 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
toolong

Post by toolong »

ICQ5 wrote:in thatcase i'll delete it,

Sorry but I do not understand that?
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

The Tinsmith wrote:
ICQ5 wrote:in that case i'll delete it,

i deleted the link i posted,
toolong

Post by toolong »

ICQ5 wrote:
The Tinsmith wrote:
ICQ5 wrote:in that case i'll delete it,

i deleted the link i posted,

I understand now. But I don't think that was necessary.
JDPower

Post by JDPower »

Given that we're told you shouldn't downgrade from FF55 to a lower version, does that apply to switching from 55rc to 52esr as well?
avada

Post by avada »

Brummelchen wrote:
very bad idea as v57 fixes security holes as usual. thats why most people here recommend v52esr NOW and not then.
Bah. I have little care for "security fixes" (which in 99% happen in edge cases you will never come by) which are mostly good for FUD-ding people and roping them into upgrading.
Frank Lion wrote:The nearest to a 'what custom build....' is Aris's sig, I reckon.

Trouble with trying to find a replacement browser for Firefox is one, rather obvious, problem - there is a good chance that even the default Firefox is not a replacement for your Firefox, so how likely is it that anything else will be?
That has no link to builds...
Why wouldn't it? A FF56 based build with a tweak or two for usability and performance and an occasional security patch. It'd be fine for me.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

JDPower wrote:Given that we're told you shouldn't downgrade from FF55 to a lower version, does that apply to switching from 55rc to 52esr as well?
Yep, judging by the bug age, it would apply to that.

Puzzling bug though if you read the warning links - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 357428#c24 Anyway, there seems to be some sort of problem, so....if you have no backup profiles and only a 55 one, then don't use it, make and new profile and then transfer useful stuff over it in the usual way.

A tiresome step, but if you're going to 52 ESR then that could be your daily browser for almost a year, so you might as well get it right.

avada wrote:Bah. I have little care for "security fixes" (which in 99% happen in edge cases you will never come by) which are mostly good for FUD-ding people and roping them into upgrading.
Although I would never say so publicly, I see little to disagree with here.