Is there a way to remove the bright yellow LEGACY warning?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
c627627

Re: Is there a way to remove the bright yellow LEGACY warnin

Post by c627627 »

RobertJ wrote:there will be no reason, IMO, to stick with FF. [13 of my 14 FF extensions look to die]

I have been looking at the alternatives and most suck.
I am a little stunned that you said that.
So it's really the end of Firefox?
What have you found as the least worst alternative?
Open the pod bay doors, Cortana.
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Until a new browser is developed by someone else, what are the real-life implications on not updating Firefox and relying solely on anti-malware / anti-virus software for protection?
Will they be able to deal with security flaws to any extent? Firefox 56 is the last version for us, is that correct?
allande

Post by allande »

madmudmob wrote:Novice question: Is it as simple please as downloading and installing the ESR version over my present one?
To install Firefox ESR, as long as you are currently running Firefox 54 or earlier, running the Firefox ESR installer should be all you need to do. Obviously, making a backup of your Firefox profile before doing so is always wise.

On the chart here https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/o ... tions/faq/ June 2018 is when the version that follows the last Firefox 52 ESR update is scheduled, which you could say is when Firefox 52 ESR would be insecure.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

c627627 wrote:Until a new browser is developed by someone else, what are the real-life implications on not updating Firefox and relying solely on anti-malware / anti-virus software for protection?
Will they be able to deal with security flaws to any extent? Firefox 56 is the last version for us, is that correct?
I've already jumped ship to SeaMonkey and I have it set up almost exactly as my Firefox. On another note, I also have Pale Moon set up to mimic my Firefox as well. When they ruin SeaMonkey, I'll move to Pale Moon.

Firefox (a few toolbar icons are missing because FX55 disabled some add-ons):

SeaMonkey:

Pale Moon:

Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

I finally jumped ship to ESR version. Figured while I was at it I might as well go to 64-bit for the first time, too.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
c627627

Post by c627627 »

We can't do 64-Bit because our extensions are only 32-Bit compatible.
L.A.R. Grizzly wrote: I've already jumped ship to SeaMonkey and I have it set up almost exactly as my Firefox. On another note, I also have Pale Moon set up to mimic my Firefox as well. When they ruin SeaMonkey, I'll move to Pale Moon.
I don't understand, are those not based off of Firefox? In other words when SeaMonkey and Pale Moon versions come out which are based on Firefox 57 - they're done - just like Firefox 57 will be done and 100% uninstallable for us?
If this is incorrect, then yes, setting them up to look like Firefox is a solution...Can you post to clarify this?

But I mean without extensions, there is no way to forward, they are such an integral part of what we do every time we fire up a browser that there is no alternative but to stay on Firefox 56 until another browser has both a rich extensions library and can be modified like Firefox.
James

Post by James »

c627627 wrote:We can't do 64-Bit because our extensions are only 32-Bit compatible.
L.A.R. Grizzly wrote: I've already jumped ship to SeaMonkey and I have it set up almost exactly as my Firefox. On another note, I also have Pale Moon set up to mimic my Firefox as well. When they ruin SeaMonkey, I'll move to Pale Moon.
I don't understand, are those not based off of Firefox? In other words when SeaMonkey and Pale Moon versions come out which are based on Firefox 57 - they're done - just like Firefox 57 will be done and 100% uninstallable for us?
If this is incorrect, then yes, setting them up to look like Firefox is a solution...Can you post to clarify this?

But I mean without extensions, there is no way to forward, they are such an integral part of what we do every time we fire up a browser that there is no alternative but to stay on Firefox 56 until another browser has both a rich extensions library and can be modified like Firefox.
Extensions are not really OS dependent unless there is a very specific reason like those provided by say antivirus clients might be only made to work with 32-bit Firefox on Windows. Or extensions like IE Tab which is of course works on WIndows only.

SeaMonkley uses the same Gecko engine as Firefox and generally can share much of the same browser code unless the SeaMonkey devs do otherwise.

Firefox will not be done, every time there has been a big change in Firefox over the years some minorities said Firefox will be or was doomed yet Firefox is still strong.

Palemoon on other hand is like a Frankenstein version of Firefox now days as the browser is using a different rendering engine called Goanna and is making use of the old Firefox 45.9 and is not kept as up to date security wise. Anyways this thread is not about the Palemoon browser especially since it is not really much like current Firefox Releases anymore and discussion about Palemoon would be off topic and is rather disliked here thanks to past Palemoon trolls.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

c627627 wrote:If this is incorrect, then yes, setting them up to look like Firefox is a solution...Can you post to clarify this?
Installing an ESR version only prolongs the inevitable about six months. Using SeaMonkey may only be a stop-gap solution if the devs follow Firefox down the same road. Pale Moon is just another alternative and its devs have gone in a different direction. It does receive necessary security updates, just not every six weeks like FX. I chose it because it resembles FX so closely, and with its add-ons, I can achieve the same setup as FX on my systems. By the time the devs ruin either SM or PM, I should be pushing up daisies! I'm not so young anymore!
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
c627627

Post by c627627 »

I understand you guys are saying there was some fishy business with PaleMoon and also that it gets updated less frequently, so okay, SeaMonkey then: When I use the term 'based on' - to me it means the moment SeaMonkey is based on Firefox 57, it's all over.

So when you say "if SeaMonkey devs follow the same path" - what path are they on now? I mean Firefox 55 is out today so how long before SeaMonkey is based on Firefox 55, and when it is, does it not mean that would be a general time referwnce how long it will take for SeaMonkey to be based on Firefox 57 after 57 comes out and once again when it one day is based of FF57 - doesn't that automatically mean game over for our old extensions?

And if so, then PaleMoon would have to enter consideration, and the same question applies, does that not mean that since PaleMoon is based in Firefox... As soon as PaleMoon is based on Firefox 57, it'll be game over there too?

In both cases what are we talking about time-wise aftet FF57 is released?
c627627

Post by c627627 »

My separate question is people are reporting that ALL their extensions have the yellow mark of death.
How is it possible that most extension developers did not comply before FF55 final was releaseed and got slapped with the LEGACY mark?

Is it theoretically possible to remove the yellow mark from Firefox 55?
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

c627627 wrote:How is it possible that most extension developers did not comply before FF55 final was releaseed and got slapped with the LEGACY mark?
They knew the writing was on the wall, tired of wasting time for a company that disrespected the core Community, very much responsible for billions of dollars income, and didn't want to play Mozilla's silly games anymore ?
Who cares if they're marked yellow red or green.....
Last edited by mightyglydd on August 8th, 2017, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

people have known for ages whats going to happen , why do people continue to ask silly questions. you dont like it go an look for a new browser.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

c627627 wrote:In both cases what are we talking about time-wise after FF57 is released?

The SM devs might not follow all the changes that FX 57 includes. So far, SM is more customizable, without add-ons, than FX. It has more choices in its options dialog, so the devs may not kill it just by using the FX 57 engine. We'll just have to wait and see.

Pale Moon isn't following FX anymore. They use a different engine and have a lot of add-ons written just for PM. PM can also use a lot of FX add-ons as well. I have a mixture of both. I like SM because I'm an old Netscape carryover. I used the Mozilla Suite (now SeaMonkey) for years after Netscape folded. I branched off when Mozilla separated the suite into FX and TB. I probably should have stuck with SM since FX doesn't really offer much difference (at least for my browsing experience). Anyway, by November, you'll have to make a decision which browser to switch to if FX kills your add-ons or you can't find any new WebExtensions to replace them.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Did they pull the 55 update, it was working earlier today, not now...

Aha..assuming "philipp_sumo" speaks for MozCo.. 55.0.1's due tomorrow
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... pdate_yet/
Last edited by mightyglydd on August 9th, 2017, 6:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

mightyglydd wrote:Did they pull the 55 update, it was working earlier today, not now...
I don't know. I did a clean install yesterday before the internal updater was released.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security