Re: The Official 20170809 builds are not yet out

Post by Edds »

Laptop: Intel Core i5 1240P | 16GB DDR4 | 500GB NVMe | 1080p | Win 11
Phone: Samsung S24 Ultra | Android 14
Romani

Post by Romani »

So, this is fix for NoScript - get latest build https://noscript.net/getit
Download, rename to zip, unpack. navigate to /chrome and unpack noscript. jar. Now all you need is to replace nsIPrefBranch2 to nsIPrefBranch in JS files.
On linux you can do this from console -
find . -type f -name "*.js" -exec sed -i 's/nsIPrefBranch2/nsIPrefBranch/g' {} +
in folder where you unpacked NoScript.jar.
Now, pack everything back content of jar to jar, then back in zip and rename to xpi and reinstall this XPi to Firefox, restart - it works!
Romani

Post by Romani »

Romani wrote:So, this is fix for NoScript - get latest build https://noscript.net/getit
Download, rename to zip, unpack. navigate to /chrome and unpack noscript. jar. Now all you need is to replace nsIPrefBranch2 to nsIPrefBranch in JS files.
On linux you can do this from console -
find . -type f -name "*.js" -exec sed -i 's/nsIPrefBranch2/nsIPrefBranch/g' {} +
in folder where you unpacked NoScript.jar.
Now, pack everything back content of jar to jar, then back in zip and rename to xpi and reinstall this XPi to Firefox, restart - it works!

BTW, if you dont use Linux you need to edit these files:
Main.js
ScriptSurrogate.js
ABE.js
URIValidator.js
ExternalFilters.js
or just use mass text replace software for your OS...
toolong

Post by toolong »

Doesn't break the signature?
HiggsBoson

Post by HiggsBoson »

The Tinsmith wrote:Doesn't break the signature?
Yep, see detailed workaround at NoScript forums. Relevant posts in the thread are this and this (with better workaround for signature issue).

Edit: 'NoScript' styling; 'alternate' < 'better'.
Last edited by HiggsBoson on August 9th, 2017, 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Edds

Post by Edds »

FYI looks like there is no bug covering bookmarks toolbar height for all density options, so I filed a bug for this https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1388794
HiggsBoson

Post by HiggsBoson »

TheVisitor wrote:Using the Compact LIght theme - open the Options panel - the text for the tabs is too dark on a dark background. *sigh*

Maybe broken by https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1361957

EDIT: I'm using the 'override' to go back to 'old' options... OK with the New design page.

EDIT: Meh! now I can't remember what pref I flipped LOL Oh - browser.preferences.useOldOrganization
Using today's build with no add-ons (as vanilla as it gets), no problem in Options (about:preferences) but in Add-ons Manager (about:addons) I see the described issue. Bug 1361957 is about new icons within about:preferences but in Bug 1377167 in-content pages got new fonts, sizes and colors for Photon and comments 22, 23 and 24 fit the bill.

Edit: Bug 1377167 subject; fixed comment links.
Edit: Checking all links in about:about only a handful show side tabs, and of these only about:preferences got the full new look while the others are affected by having a dark tab background:
  • about:addons
  • about:debugging
  • about:networking
  • about:telemetry
Edit: See Bug 1388761
Last edited by HiggsBoson on August 9th, 2017, 12:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Edds

Post by Edds »

about:preferences is fine here, since there is a very light background, as far as I can see :)
but about:addons follows similar font color for categories and since there is still dark background the labels are hardly visible... but I think it should be fixed by https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1380043
the last comment with a picture looks good http://i.imgur.com/IkQssqy.png
Romani

Post by Romani »

HiggsBoson wrote:
The Tinsmith wrote:Doesn't break the signature?
Yep, see detailed workaround at NoScript forums. Relevant posts in the thread are this and this (with better workaround for signature issue).

Edit: 'NoScript' styling; 'alternate' < 'better'.
I dont see any problem with signature, actually. Nightly users not forced to follow signature paranoia of Mozilla, so what the problem with breaking it?

Good question why Maone used old nsIPrefBranch2 in NoScript? It so old, and used to support old FF<13, which is already not supported by NoScript (min supported version is 45).
HiggsBoson

Post by HiggsBoson »

Romani wrote:I dont see any problem with signature, actually. Nightly users not forced to follow signature paranoia of Mozilla, so what the problem with breaking it?
:roll: The NoScript forum post was written for NoScript users, not just Nightly users.
Romani wrote:Good question why Maone used old nsIPrefBranch2 in NoScript? It so old, and used to support old FF<13, which is already not supported by NoScript (min supported version is 45).
:roll: Write a big, utterly complex software project for a quite a long time and details like this will always get lost. Not to mention using most of the last year meta-morphing NoScript into a WebExtension.
toolong

Post by toolong »

I dont see any problem with signature, actually. Nightly users not forced to follow signature paranoia of Mozilla, so what the problem with breaking it?

I asked because I do not use NoScript'. Never have. And my extension are all signed and are already WebEx so I had not noticed.
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

Missing this fix from the list in the first post:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1350637
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

NoScript also uses nsIContentPolicy to block content. This is an outdated synchronous API that is known to cause performance problems.
Sorry for my poor English.
Romani

Post by Romani »

NoScript update was just released. Maone is sure fast enough.
Sukigu

Post by Sukigu »

1for-matik wrote:
Edds wrote:Funny, Firefox Nightly 55, 56 shows the same font as latest Firefox Nightly 57, but Firefox 56 beta or 55 stable shows the same font as Chrome or Edge. So only difference is in Nightly, no matter number version. It has to be some at least a few months old setting which is valid only for Nightly.
No custom font settings.
That's because the Google Roboto font isn't W3C valid for downloadable webfonts, so Firefox Nightly (which respect the W3C recommendations) doesn't render the Roboto font.

Toggle the pref gfx.downloadable_fonts.otl_validation to false solve the problem.
Where can I read more about that (Nightly being strict about W3C recommendations)? I had noticed that font issue quite a while ago, but it wasn't always like that. I never bothered to file a bug because I thought it was so obvious that it'd eventually be fixed...

Thanks for the pref, BTW.