Rise of the System Add-ons

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Benjamin Markson

Rise of the System Add-ons

Post by Benjamin Markson »

As I'm mainly using ESR 52 nowadays I'm not really keeping up with Firefox as it slowly implodes but I do have a 'current' Firefox instance just to see when my Add-ons finally bite the dust.

I see more and more of these System Add-ons appearing - see about:support and the Firefox Features section. Investigating all these gets to be a pain but an interesting resource I've found so far is here: http://news.superrune.dk/20170730/686a7 ... cc448.html

The shield thing sounds particularly iffy (extensions.shield-recipe-client.enabled) - https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Shield/
mozilla wiki wrote:Shield is a system that addresses user attrition and satisfaction in Firefox by providing a fast and powerful way for Firefox to interact with our users.
...and, no, I didn't make that up.

Me, I just try and turn off everything I can now because I can no longer be arsed to find out exactly what Mozilla are up to even if it might turn out to be something useful. But then I have a yellow sticker on my forehead that says: LEGACY.
Ben.
XUL is dead. Long live the Google Chrome Clones.
mozray

Re: Rise of the System Add-ons

Post by mozray »

You can use Simple Add-on Manager to disable system addons:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... n-manager/
Benjamin Markson

Interesting add-on, I like it. Of course, FF57 will put an end to this resistance and the Rise of the System Add-ons will prevail!

Ben.
Aris

Post by Aris »

On Windows you can disable Firefox system add-ons with CCleaner application.
Benjamin Markson

Aris wrote:On Windows you can disable Firefox system add-ons with CCleaner application.
I thought there was a prevailing wisdom not to use CCleaner on Firefox. In any case, does CCleaner update extensions.json or simply delete the 'feature' xpi's?

The add-on disables the System Add-ons by toggling the 'active' element in extensions.json without removing them - something Mozilla really should allow from the built-in Add-on Manager.

Ben.
ianas

Post by ianas »

I think those system addons are new buildin features some are disabled by default (the new screenshot feature) others are ad revenue for mozilla (pocket) I haven't tested it but afaik there are 2 ways to disable them
#1 safe way is with about:config in the filter box type the addon name (pocket) and set the boolean to disabled for example
extensions.pocket.enabled; false
if you'd like to try the screenshot addon just set
extensions.screenshots.system-disabled; false
extensions.screenshots.disabled; false
#2 unsafe is to remove those xpi files ?
after upgrading to FF55 a few more system addons appeared I don't know what they all do as most are disabled by default these are the ones found in my C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\browser\features directory

Code: Select all

aushelper@mozilla.org.xpi
clicktoplay-rollout@mozilla.org.xpi
e10srollout@mozilla.org.xpi
firefox@getpocket.com.xpi
followonsearch@mozilla.com.xpi
screenshots@mozilla.org.xpi
shield-recipe-client@mozilla.org.xpi
webcompat@mozilla.org.xpi
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

See, we don't need decent Extensions anymore, Mozilla will provide them, like it or not..
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
ianas

Post by ianas »

so I did a bit of googling (I also looked inside those xpi's) to find out what these system addons do
aushelper@mozilla.org.xpi - Application Update Service Helper (needed)
clicktoplay-rollout@mozilla.org.xpi - Staged rollout for Click-to-Play Flash (sounds useful)
e10srollout@mozilla.org.xpi - Staged rollout of Firefox multi-process feature (not sure as it breaks a lot of addons)
firefox@getpocket.com.xpi - Pocket (for me it's useless and a security hole)
followonsearch@mozilla.com.xpi - Follow-on search telemetry system add-on (looks like adware to me can't find more info it doesn't seam to have a pref in about:config)
screenshots@mozilla.org.xpi - the new Firefox Screenshots ( https://pageshot.net looks interesting disabled by default can be enabled in about:config)
shield-recipe-client@mozilla.org.xpi - Client to download and run recipes for SHIELD, Heartbeat, etc. ( https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Shield it was enabled in my Fox looks like a security hole)
webcompat@mozilla.org.xpi - Urgent post-release fixes for web compatibility (disabled on my Fox not sure it really does anything probobly a developer feature)
therube

Post by therube »

aushelper@mozilla.org.xpi - Application Update Service Helper (needed)
Needed, why?
Just what does it do & what makes it beneficial to me?
clicktoplay-rollout@mozilla.org.xpi - Staged rollout for Click-to-Play Flash (sounds useful)
That one seems odd to me, as that sets some to click-to-play & others not.
And making that change will affect, is noticeable to (Flash) users.

So someone starts yelling, "my Flash stopped" working, & another says, "working here".
And the difference, one is one click-to-play, the other, not.
As they're going that route, I'd think they might just as well set all to click-to-play, that way everyone has the same experience - for better or worse. And at least the "storm" that follows can be replied to, in a consistent manner, to all.
e10srollout@mozilla.org.xpi - Staged rollout of Firefox multi-process feature (not sure as it breaks a lot of addons)
As it is now, a non-e10 extension "breaks" (won't allow) multi-process.
Come FF 57, when all extensions break, its kind of moot ;-).
Suppose that with FF 57, it will allow a quicker uptake to multi-process for users.
webcompat@mozilla.org.xpi - Urgent post-release fixes for web compatibility (disabled on my Fox not sure it really does anything probobly a developer feature)
I would guess that that allowed the update from 55 to 55.0.1 (given that the actual fixed bugs were not marked as "Fixed" until after the fact)? [Guess. Well, if I were to come up with a legitimate use for an "urgent post-release fix" extension, 55 to 55.0.1 would fit that criteria.]
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
ianas

Post by ianas »

I just noticed a new binary (I downgraded to ESR and just reinstalled 55.0.1) pinging a mozilla URI after every Firefox shutdown
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\pingsender.exe trying to talk to incoming.telemetry.mozilla.org (50.112.45.104)
as I use the release and not a testing build I have no idea why the mozillians think this would be a good idea
I'm guessing this is due to one of the telemetry system xpi's

I'm getting more and more disappointed in the mozilla foundation
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

Are these add-ons replacing something that was removed from FF?
Browsers that don't have a conventional horizontal Menu bar (where it's been for 25 years) are poorly designed. Period. Stop 'fixing' something that isn't broke!
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

maybe only outsourcing. benefit is to update such functions without updating the whole browser.