Losing old add-ons again with update to FF 55

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Starhugger

Losing old add-ons again with update to FF 55

Post by Starhugger »

Once again I have lost my use of the Toolbar Buttons add-on (which is no longer being supported), with the update to Firefox 55. This is SO frustrating! Yes, I'm aware that FF is being redeveloped, and the add-ons need to be changed by their developers. Why FF is making these changes is beyond me, because the only thing it's effectively doing for the end user is taking away more and more features. Toolbar Buttons lets us create customized toolbars so we can quickly and easily click on the icons to use various features. But when I look in the add-ons directory for a replacement, I see warnings that other add-ons won't be supported either by November, just 3 months from now. Judging by the comments, having handy icons is something users want, yet basic Firefox gives us hardly any icons to add to the toolbars, which means I'll have to go hunting for all these features in the menu system, or try to remember the keyboard shortcut, or just do without. Firefox is becoming increasingly awkward and difficult to use, so how is this redevelopment actually improving Firefox?? I have used FF for a very long time and it's extremely disappointing to see it changing this way. Is there *any* hope for end-user improvement??
Frank Lion

Re: Losing old add-ons again with update to FF 55

Post by Frank Lion »

Starhugger wrote:Is there *any* hope for end-user improvement??
Nope.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

v55 and v56 disable not-e10s extensions, not all but the most. oldest first. Tbuttons is so old, is based on the old jar system. currently no replacement a/v
Last edited by DanRaisch on August 11th, 2017, 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Minor edit for language.
the magic number is 51 and you are probably part of it :p
Starhugger

Post by Starhugger »

So how do I find e10s extensions, so that at least I know what will remain active?
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

If you read this thread in the Builds Forum http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3025513 it may give you a better idea of where things stand.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Grumpus wrote:If you read this thread in the Builds Forum http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3025513 it may give you a better idea of where things stand.
Er no it won't, e10's/Multiprocess Extension compatibility is barely mentioned..
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Starhugger

Post by Starhugger »

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately this is incredibly infuriating. It seems like the end user has been absent from consideration in the changes in Firefox. So why are these changes being forced on us??
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Hutber's law states that "improvement means deterioration". It is founded on the cynical observation that a stated improvement actually hides a deterioration.

The term has seen wide application in business, engineering, and risk analysis. It was first articulated in the 1970s by Patrick Hutber, an economist and journalist who was the City Editor for The Sunday Telegraph in London from 1966 to 1979.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutber%27s_law
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

It seems like the end user has been absent from consideration in the changes in Firefox. So why are these changes being forced on us??
investigate into development for firefox and you will be heard
https://developer.mozilla.org/
otherwise you have to live with the decisions or you can chose another browser - or develop your own browser. but those discussion are futile and have no result, only more complains.