Problem with password

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
chrisranthony

Problem with password

Post by chrisranthony »

I have come across an interesting problem when setting up a new account in Thunderbird. The account I was trying to set up was a BT.com account. the password that the client had used contained a #. Whenever I tried to set up the account, it came back "user name or password incorrect". To ascertain that the password was correct I used the BT WebMail portal and it logged on successfully. I also tried Windows Live Mail and that functioned correctly.

The question is, is the # a restricted character in Thunderbird?
tanstaafl

Re: Problem with password

Post by tanstaafl »

Not that I'm aware of.
chrisranthony

Post by chrisranthony »

Myself and a colleague have tested this users account on several other email systems and so far the only two are causing problems - Thunderbird and the Android phone. As I said, I can successfully logon with my account; it is a plain text and numeric password with no symbols. As soon as we start using a password with a # in it, it proves impossible to set up an account in Thunderbird. To enable my client to get online we are going to have to change the password to one without a #. I will be interested if anybody else has had this problem or is aware of it.
chrisranthony

Post by chrisranthony »

As a thought, I may post this in the bugs forum
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

special token in names and passwords ever were a bad idea. maybe for local archives but not online. i dont know if the bug with the exclamation mark (!) was resolved, was same problem.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

chrisranthony wrote:As a thought, I may post this in the bugs forum
That is not whats its for. The bugs forum is for discussing workarounds for bugs that have been reported and confirmed in the Bugzilla database .
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Brummelchen wrote:special token in names and passwords ever were a bad idea. maybe for local archives but not online. i dont know if the bug with the exclamation mark (!) was resolved, was same problem.
I have accounts with several different email providers which have special characters such as an exclamation point in the password. Its never caused any problem in Thunderbird. In general I'd assume any of the standard printable ASCII characters except white space (ASCII codes between 33 and 126 inclusive) are okay.