The Official 20170812 builds are out

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
BruceAWittmeier

Re: The Official 20170812 builds are not yet out

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

WaltS48 wrote:So how do you adjust the Flexible Space? About all I can do is move or remove it.
You cant change the size of flexible space. It will fill from object to object whatever else is on that toolbar. You used to be able to use several and they always resize to be equal to each other and you can put another object between any 2 spaces. I just can't figure out how to have more than 1. The old flexible space you could ad as many as you wanted. It only allows you to push something from one side to the other. Default is to left justify -- flexible space allows you to push toolbar items right if you so desire.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
Edds

Post by Edds »

Is there some page where I can see a significant difference when using Stylo ?
Laptop: Intel Core i5 1240P | 16GB DDR4 | 500GB NVMe | 1080p | Win 11
Phone: Samsung S24 Ultra | Android 14
veryslow

Post by veryslow »

extensions.legacy.enabled: false
extensions.legacy.exceptions: {972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd},testpilot@cliqz.com,@testpilot-containers,jid1-NeEaf3sAHdKHPA@jetpack,@activity-streams,pulse@mozilla.com,@testpilot-addon,@min-vid,tabcentertest1@mozilla.com,snoozetabs@mozilla.com,speaktome@mozilla.com,hoverpad@mozilla.com

>expect everyone to prepare a completely revamped version of their add-on within 4 months
>don't have even your own stuff ready
>add an exception for yourself

Mozilla at its finest!
Ver Greeneyes

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

veryslow wrote:>expect everyone to prepare a completely revamped version of their add-on within 4 months
>don't have even your own stuff ready
>add an exception for yourself

Mozilla at its finest!
To be fair, this is Nightly, it doesn't have to be ready yet. I don't like it either, I'm stuck on the August 10 Nightly because an extension I absolutely need doesn't work even with all the relevant settings changed.. but this isn't the final release yet. If this situation doesn't improve by Beta though, I think they're gonna have a bad time.
veryslow

Post by veryslow »

This just goes to show that such a tight schedule is unreasonable. We're talking about the transition of almost entire extension ecosystem. It looks more like nuking most of it right now. Maybe that's a way of putting pressure on add-on developers, and they're internally planning to take a step back and delay things eventually? If not and they truly intend to launch the nuke as scheduled, they're gonna have a (very) bad time, that's for sure.
toolong

Post by toolong »

This just goes to show that such a tight schedule is unreasonable.

"Tight schedule? Really? It has been WIP for two years and several months.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ veryslow -
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
veryslow

Post by veryslow »

The Tinsmith wrote:"Tight schedule? Really? It has been WIP for two years and several months.
I'll just quote a comment from blog.mozilla.org I couldn't agree more with, heed the last sentence:
I think that the tone of this interview makes it clear that WebExtensions are a great opportunity, lots of potential as a way forward, but *very far from the level of maturity where we should drop all existing XUL-based extensions*. If even the #4 most popular extension, developed by a full-time professional programmer who feels morally driven to migrate to WebExtensions to keep millions of people safe online, still doesn’t have the necessary API support to actually complete the migration yet, then it seems quite ridiculous to suppose that we’re ready to talk about switching off the lights for XUL. The two-year countdown to dropping XUL should have started from the time when WebExtensions were judged mature and fully ready – for the top ten extensions, at the very least! – not when they’re still on the bleeding edge.
Yes, tight schedule, really. And I'm all for dropping XUL and going forward with WebExtensions.
toolong

Post by toolong »

Yes, tight schedule, really. And I'm all for dropping XUL and going forward with WebExtensions.

Hmm... what I meant, and what I thought I said, was the 2 years in development was not 'overnight'.

I keep remembering the guy the other day that (I think the number was) 113 extensions and only three will survive the change.

Which makes me wonder just how many 'jumping bunnies' and 'waving clowns' do you need? And any time I think of those I recall that stupid dancing 'cone 'thing' that was the 'Java Guy'. :-)

The whole experience goes to how well do "you" deal with changes and learn and adapt.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Looks like Hobbes is going to be short-lived - Iteration 3 just landed in m-c, will see shortly what they have come up with now...

I don't know how to extract images from the patch code.
1for-matik

Post by 1for-matik »

TheVisitor wrote:Looks like Hobbes is going to be short-lived - Iteration 3 just landed in m-c, will see shortly what they have come up with now...

Iteration 03 represents the very Old "Phoenix" icon.
veryslow

Post by veryslow »

The Tinsmith wrote:Which makes me wonder just how many 'jumping bunnies' and 'waving clowns' do you need? And any time I think of those I recall that stupid dancing 'cone 'thing' that was the 'Java Guy'. :-)

The whole experience goes to how well do "you" deal with changes and learn and adapt.
Well, the sad state of matters is that during the "2 years in development" Mozilla didn't manage to set an example and convert their own stuff, and had to introduce an exception list when they disabled everything else, which means they might have a hard time adapting to changes they introduce themselves. Another example: the work to convert Mozilla's pdf.js to WebExtensions hasn't even started yet: https://github.com/mozilla/pdf.js/issues/8533 - and it's already disabled by default in Nightly. I'm not sure how many jumping bunnies and waving clowns Mozilla needs, and I don't even want to know. All I'm saying is that expecting the general add-on ecosystem to convert in the scheduled timeframe, given the current state of the process, is unreasonable, that's all. Maybe I'm wrong, we'll see in a few months.
toolong

Post by toolong »

example: the work to convert Mozilla's pdf.js to WebExtensions hasn't even started yet:

That one you are going to have to explain to me. Why? Does a java script need to be converted to WebEx?
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

1for-matik wrote:
TheVisitor wrote:Looks like Hobbes is going to be short-lived - Iteration 3 just landed in m-c, will see shortly what they have come up with now...

Iteration 03 represents the very Old "Phoenix" icon.
Indeed, thanks... I'm hoping this does not stay long either.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

The Tinsmith wrote:
example: the work to convert Mozilla's pdf.js to WebExtensions hasn't even started yet:

That one you are going to have to explain to me. Why? Does a java script need to be converted to WebEx?
Trying to figure that one out as well. The internal PDF.JS implementation isn't broken or disabled.