Is there a way to remove the bright yellow LEGACY warning?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Brummelchen

Re: Is there a way to remove the bright yellow LEGACY warnin

Post by Brummelchen »

dont use for now firefox 57 if you dont expect the unespected. not for dummies.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Brummelchen wrote:dont use for now firefox 57 if you dont expect the unespected. not for dummies.
Translation please?

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
c627627

Post by c627627 »

How much money would it cost to apply the ESR model to Firefox 56 and just have developers plug the most serious future security holes and nothing else to it?

If people did a Go Fund Me on something like that, would Mozilla allow it?

Or else if others like people at SeaMonkey could increase their user base by simply having a project where they applied the ESR model to their current versions which currently don't destroy extensions... Why don't they just get the spillover from the exodus that'll come in November... Aren't there millions of people who care more about their extensions than they care about the browser? Why not catch them by having a side project?

I would pay for a browser that keeps my current modifications and extensions, if it's a reasonable amount. Would you?
Open the pod bay doors, Cortana.
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

RobertJ wrote:Translation please?
I don't quite understand that phrase as well. The end is known, Nightly users are like passengers on Titanic right now. The only question is when :-"
c627627 wrote:How much money would it cost to apply the ESR model to Firefox 56 and just have developers plug the most serious future security holes and nothing else to it?
I guess it would be cheaper to pay addon devs in order to develop needed APIs.
Sorry for my poor English.
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Release of Fx57 will also quantify and (dis)prove some of the things that were being posted on the forums about what Firefox really is and who its users really are, for years.

What is a reliable source of user numbers for Firefox versions, including ESR?

Here are two hypothesis:
1. When we refresh those numbers a few weeks after Fx57 release, we should see a massive drop in Fx57 users vs. what those numbers usually are when previous new versions were officially released before.

2. We should also see a massive increase in Firefox ESR numbers because ordinary people still don't know that ESR is "the same as Firefox" and in the month of Fx57 release they will find out the hard way about the death of their extensions but also that ESR will restore the functionality of all their dead extensions that worked before their Fx57 update.

(They will worry about June 2018 later.)

But if none of that happens then we were wrong all these years about the role and power of Extensions when it comes to Firefox.

Likewise, here's a question for you: if that *does* happen and there is a massive exodus away from Firefox 57 in November, how high do those numbers have to be for Mozilla to consider reversing course and in some form extend the functionality of Extensions at least on ESR beyond June 2018?

How do things work over there, what would happen if Fx57 user base is halved or more after November, would they care?
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Or a third possibility
3: An increased migration from Firefox to Chrome and minimal changeover to ESR.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

malliz wrote:Or a third possibility
Or "3: An increased migration from Firefox to [insert alternative browser here] and minimal changeover to ESR."
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

malliz wrote:Or a third possibility
DanRaisch wrote:Or "3: An increased migration from Firefox to [insert alternative browser here] and minimal changeover to ESR."
I would say that this is more likely since most FX users don't know that the ESR versions exist.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.9.1esr, Thunderbird 115.9.0, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2
c627627

Post by c627627 »

What site do you trust for numbers for Firefox 55 and to see what they are for ESR and other versions of Firefox today, so we can see who's prediction is correct in real life for Fx57 after it is released?
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

None. They all have problems
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

RobertJ wrote:
Brummelchen wrote:dont use for now firefox 57 if you dont expect the unespected. not for dummies.
Translation please?

last day i tried the current 57 nightly and it was very disappointing. ok, it disabled most of my extensions (no e10s), offered me a link to search for alternatives, next start all extensions were disabled, and another restart killed all. in between CTR, TMP and some others were functional in parts. after the last start v57 dont work proper, it had bugs, i did a refresh and nothing was like before.

ok its nightly but its overall a piece of crap. i searched some extension eg for bbcode - nothing, nothing for this, nothing for that. i expected more because people write that there is more. BS. it seems like i tell - there are less then 260 true webextensions, but for every tiny crap, but no big deal.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Have been playing with the Nightly and set

extensions.legacy.enabled -> true

I then checked of few of the "Legacy" extension such as BBCodeXtra, Selective Cookie Delete, ... ; and as near as I can tell they work perfectly. I know the above switch will not be available when 57 hits beta.

So, since some of the "Legacy" extensions seem to work just fine, what do the authors need to do to get AMO to bless them?

toolong

Post by toolong »

They only still work because not all of the code packages that lets them work have not been removed. Yet.

I am not a programmer. But the software engine, Gecko, is replaced by Servo. XUL will be gone. Along with a bunch of other stuff that, honestly, I do not understand.

You did see that SeaMonkey is going to follow the same path as Firefox?
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

BBCodeXtra and Selective Cookie Delete have nothing to do with the UI so it doesn't surprise me that they still work; however, they do have xul code in them.

BTW so far userChrome.css still works on Nightly.

One can be hopeful but test driving Opera and Brave.
The Tinsmith wrote:You did see that SeaMonkey is going to follow the same path as Firefox?
Think that is speculation at this point but wouldn't doubt it.

toolong

Post by toolong »

As I understand it Firefox 57, as the Daily, is a WIP so things will be stopping to work and disappearing, going slowly. On purpose.

I think that most of the changes are to be done with the switch to Beta and final in release.

That switch, BTW, will be going away too. Since eventually it will not work.