annoying lag

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
danll

annoying lag

Post by danll »

I've been using Thunderbird for a decade or two. It's my go-to mailer. But on my Mac (10.11.6), it develops, every day, a serious "lag". That is, when I try to drag e-mails into folders, it just doesn't follow my mouse motions promptly. I try to pull an e-mail over, and a second or two later, the e-mail follows the mouse into the folder. When you have thirty e-mails, that hurts. That condition disappears completely if I kill, and restart Thunderbird, but comes back the next day. What's up? Compacting folders has no effect. This is a minor, but annoying occurrence.
tanstaafl

Re: annoying lag

Post by tanstaafl »

Do you have the same lag if you select the bunch of messages and then use a menu command to move/copy them? It might be useful as a workaround, but I'm mainly asking to find out if its a drag and drop specific problem.

Does this problem occur all the time, randomly, or does it only occur after you've been using Thunderbird for a while?
danll

Post by danll »

I'll try selecting a bunch of messages tomorrow morning and use the menu Move To command, when the problem reestablishes itself.

The problem occurs pretty much reliably every morning, when I archive e-mails for the previous day. Seriously, it's a bother for the first dozen or so e-mails I move to folders. I kill the program, restart, and the remaining dozen or two move promptly.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

If you are moving the messages to the "Archive" folder, you can just select the messages and hit "A". Or use menues as tanstaafl suggests.
danll

Post by danll »

"A" always works promptly. But I'm taking about moving e-mails to specific special folders. I promised to do some testing, but that was just before the weekend, when my e-mails don't fill up as much. Hang in there.
danll

Post by danll »

Well, selecting a bunch of messages together wasn't a lot better. Using the "Move To" command works fine, but that's an extremely inefficient way of moving e-mails to a folder. So yes it's a "drag and drop" problem. But, as I said, the lags disappear when I close Thunderbird and then restart it. As if something is getting reset.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I can't reproduce your drag and drop problem under Windows 10.
Does this only occur when dragging and dropping messages from the inbox, or will it also occur with a different, smaller folder?
danll

Post by danll »

As far as I can tell, it happens with any folder. I guess I wouldn't be bothered by this so much - I could just take it as regular Thunderbird performance, but restarting the program removes that behavior.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Dlester99 wrote:As far as I can tell, it happens with any folder. I guess I wouldn't be bothered by this so much - I could just take it as regular Thunderbird performance, but restarting the program removes that behavior.
If it's just a few dozen messages or less you should not see a delay.

If it happens in safe mode, https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/sa ... hunderbird then please file a bug report https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug. ... hunderbird
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

I've been seeing this slow behavior for a long time, sometimes more than others. Also, filtering seems VERY slow as of the last two weeks or so.