GHM113

Re: Changes to Extensions in Firefox 57

Post by GHM113 »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:-no last used folders history
-doesn't work on some websites
-doesn't support changing downloaded files names to specific ones
-isn't accelerator
and some minor ones
According to his comments on reddit, author is open to feature requests. Unfortunately, multi-threaded downloads are not supported because of WE limitations. Could you post URLs where this addon fails to work?
Sorry for my poor English.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

While I do not know if any of these extensions can be installed they appear to be working without issue in Linux Mint.
NoScript; Setting Sanity, Classic Theme Restorer and Throbber Restored which is redundant to the CTR throbber in some ways.
There also appears to be a pickup of the System theme for the display beyond the default theme.
There was also an update of the VLC package again which had been updated not that long ago.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

What do we got here? Finally some activity in toolbar API: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 215064#c32
Policy and implementation details need to be finalized. Adding mconca, and will follow-up.
The first step to the bright future with toolbar API :-"
Feathergrrl

Post by Feathergrrl »

My only real question is, can you force the extensions back on, or are they perma-broken?

Even opening firefox-standard instead of nightly has them still disabled, so even if I wanted to go back, I can't.
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

:-"
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

GHM113 wrote: :-"
Is there some law in Russia that says people have to use a whistling smilie in any post they make on the Net or something?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
toolong

Post by toolong »

Feathergrrl wrote:My only real question is, can you force the extensions back on, or are they perma-broken?

Even opening firefox-standard instead of nightly has them still disabled, so even if I wanted to go back, I can't.

It has been said many times but you might have missed it.

The simple answer is 'no'. The code that allows these Legacy extension to run is being removed and replaced. from the ground up.
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

Frank Lion wrote:Is there some law in Russia that says people have to use a whistling smilie in any post they make on the Net or something?
I just like this smile but I can stop using it, no problem.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

GHM113 wrote:I just like this smile but I can stop using it, no problem.
OK, tovarishch :-"
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

GHM113 wrote:Image
:-"
300k people isn't really that much in the scheme of things. Especially since photon ads a whole bunch of customisation.
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Grantius wrote:300k people isn't really that much in the scheme of things. Especially since photon ads a whole bunch of customisation.
Conclusions based on inaccurate information are also going to be inaccurate...by definition.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14761024

Point is, it was always inevitable, and indeed predictable that they were always going to go after Aris, as he is the most high profile UI changing extension dev.

What is not inevitable, however, is that people are dumb enough to go along with it and believe any of it.
Edds

Post by Edds »

Personally as far as userChrome.css will work I am fine. Photon solved Australis issues for me, so since Firefox 57, CTR is useless anyway for me.
Now I have 4 of 6 WebExtensions working and 5th is on its way. Basically I'm ready for 57 almost without any hit. Will be missing only "Clock and Date" on Navigation toolbar, but it's not a big deal and maybe it will be still possible, don't know.
Laptop: Intel Core i5 1240P | 16GB DDR4 | 500GB NVMe | 1080p | Win 11
Phone: Samsung S24 Ultra | Android 14
flaneurb

Post by flaneurb »

Edds wrote:Personally as far as userChrome.css will work I am fine. ...
Is there any clarity on that? Any official statement that doesn't use weasel words?
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

I've just noticed Kev Needham ni'd Mike Conca in the last comment to toolbar API: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 215064#c32
His profile was created less than a month ago, he is the new Product Manager for Firefox WebExtensions. He has already wontfixed one API proposal so I hope we'll soon see some progress on toolbar API [-o<
Frank Lion wrote:OK, tovarishch :-"
http://i.imgur.com/L4dD5ne.jpg
Aris

Post by Aris »

@flaneurb
Jorge Villalobos mentioned he is not aware of any userChrome.css removal (at the moment?): https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2017/08 ... ent-224153
Benjamin Smedberg [:bsmedberg] wants it gone: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=332529#c14
So AMO team is at odds with devs or there was no real discussion within developer team yet whether or not userChrome will survive or get restricted or whatsoever. Prepare for the worst.

As long as userChrome.css stays (and works) we can do stuff like that in Fx57+: