Web Extensions Work on AMO?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
smsmith

Web Extensions Work on AMO?

Post by smsmith »

I replaced FireGestures with Foxy Gestures after legacy extensions were disabled. But, Foxy Gestures doesn't seem to work on addons.mozilla.org. Are they blocking web extensions from being able to be used on mozilla properties?
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Lurtz

Re: The Official 20170816 builds are not yet out

Post by Lurtz »

On AMO it's blocked, yes.
dsmith

Post by dsmith »

smsmith wrote:I replaced FireGestures with Foxy Gestures after legacy extensions were disabled. But, Foxy Gestures doesn't seem to work on addons.mozilla.org. Are they blocking web extensions from being able to be used on mozilla properties?
Specifically on AMO, yes. It's an extension of the attempts to ensure that addons are vetted and trusted, by not letting addons mess with the pages that users have to use to get said trusted addons.

It does get frustrating at times. I thought a gestures addon was completely broken because I was trying to test it on the page I'd installed it from, and it didn't work. However I can see why they'd want to be completely sure that an addon can't fake something on an AMO page.
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

Why why does web-ext work without such restrictions at banks and shopping sites? :?:

Are AMO and about: important than banks and shopping sites? :?:
Larusek

Post by Larusek »

dsmith wrote:
smsmith wrote:I replaced FireGestures with Foxy Gestures after legacy extensions were disabled. But, Foxy Gestures doesn't seem to work on addons.mozilla.org. Are they blocking web extensions from being able to be used on mozilla properties?
Specifically on AMO, yes. It's an extension of the attempts to ensure that addons are vetted and trusted, by not letting addons mess with the pages that users have to use to get said trusted addons.
It does get frustrating at times. I thought a gestures addon was completely broken because I was trying to test it on the page I'd installed it from, and it didn't work. However I can see why they'd want to be completely sure that an addon can't fake something on an AMO
Unfortunately if the software/authors know better what I want or need then it's no software for me :( It's utterly inconvenient on AMO as well as all internal pages ](*,) But Chrome knows better I suppose :>
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

dsmith wrote:

It does get frustrating at times. I thought a gestures addon was completely broken because I was trying to test it on the page I'd installed it from, and it didn't work. However I can see why they'd want to be completely sure that an addon can't fake something on an AMO page.
Hrm, yes. I see your point. Like you, I was testing the extension on the install page and couldn't figure out why the scroll down gesture wasn't working.
Alice0775 wrote:Why why does web-ext work without such restrictions at banks and shopping sites? :?:

Are AMO and about: important than banks and shopping sites? :?:
Good point.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Brummelchen

Re: Web Extensions Work on AMO?

Post by Brummelchen »

same for chrome(ium) - on internal and google sites not all extensions are working, and if - in a very limited way. i assume this as normal and i think mozilla has announced this.

banks - ofc, why not disabled, i wont care. for shopping i like to have a filter, not all shops are ad clean. and i some cases i would filter from me trusted shops because of flickering ads or more crap i wont read or been treated.