YouTube "Enhancements" - Firefox no longer supported

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
clemenzina

YouTube "Enhancements" - Firefox no longer supported

Post by clemenzina »

FIREFOX 54.0.1 64-bit

I upload a lot of videos to YouTube and often use the Enhancements feature to improve colour etc - but today I get the message "Oops, your web browser is no longer supported. Please update to a modern, fully supported browser." That's a link, which no doubt would lead me to a Chrome download page - I already have Chrome but prefer to use Firefox.

In Chrome, I can see that the Enhancements feature has changed, there is no longer a "before and after" split screen, has Google made changes that FF cannot assimilate? Is there anything I can do?
the-edmeister

Re: YouTube "Enhancements" - Firefox no longer supported

Post by the-edmeister »

You posted here with Waterfox, is that the browser where you get that message?

Try using a genuine Firefox installation; plus Firefox 55.0.1 is the current release version.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
therube

Post by therube »

(Or at least spoofing your UA, if that is the issue.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
James

Post by James »

clemenzina wrote:FIREFOX 54.0.1 64-bit

I upload a lot of videos to YouTube and often use the Enhancements feature to improve colour etc - but today I get the message "Oops, your web browser is no longer supported. Please update to a modern, fully supported browser." That's a link, which no doubt would lead me to a Chrome download page - I already have Chrome but prefer to use Firefox.

In Chrome, I can see that the Enhancements feature has changed, there is no longer a "before and after" split screen, has Google made changes that FF cannot assimilate? Is there anything I can do?
Yet you are posting with a UA of the third-party Waterfox 54.0.1
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:54.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/54.0.1 Waterfox/54.0.1

If so some websites can have an issue if there is added stuff on end of the useragent. It may not recognize what the third-party Waterfox build is and give the generic response of using a modern, fully supported browser, that is if current Firefox is supported by the changes made by Youtube.
clemenzina

Post by clemenzina »

Thank you all for your responses.

Kudos to James for indicating what UA stands for ;) ... and that probably tells you that I'd have difficulty "spoofing" it. This laptop is already under pressure with all it's being asked to do, so I really don't want to install and run yet another browser.

I've found a Waterfox support forum on Reddit and posted there, if I get any joy I'll let you know, just for your knowledge banks :)

(PS - for some reason Waterfox calls itself Firefox on this, my workhorse laptop, but not on the ones that only do screen-capture recordings.)
therube

Post by therube »

It's easy enough to Change Your Browser’s User Agent Without Installing Any Extensions to see if it is your UA causing the issue.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
BlohoJo

Post by BlohoJo »

Waterfox / Firefox / User agent switcher etc. makes no difference. Youtube enhancements used to use Flash which worked fine, since the Youtube flash player went away no way no how will Firefox anything work with Youtube enhancements.

Last edited by BlohoJo on December 17th, 2017, 3:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
allande

Post by allande »

For now, Firefox can still run flash - by default many sites use HTML5 or WebM, but on certain sites Flash, if installed can run, although it may require a confirmation click: https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases ... -end-life/
BlohoJo

Post by BlohoJo »

Youtube removed its Flash player code from its site entirely. So there's no way to force Flash on Youtube.