Automatic Translation for Webpages (with Google Translate)

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
SergeGardien

Automatic Translation for Webpages (with Google Translate)

Post by SergeGardien »

On Google Chrome for non-English webpages I get the "Google Translate" automatic suggestion for translation with a bar popping up on the top (check image 1).

Firefox instead doesn't have (to my knowledge) a built-in similar function, but I've seen some websites offering a "Google Translate" bar to translate the specific website (check image 2).

I also know that I can translate a website by asking the Google Translate page (example: https://translate.google.com/translate? ... ly.com.cn/) but the resulting top bar is quite large and I need to further click the right double-arrows to reduce it in size (check image 3).

Is there a way to obtain a slim "Google Translate" bar similar to the one shown in image 2 or image 1?
I've already tested some Firefox addons to no avail.

Image 1:

Image 2:

Image 3:
therube

Re: Automatic Translation for Webpages (with Google Translat

Post by therube »

SeaMonkey has a 'Tools | Translate Page' built-in.

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... unofficial
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
SergeGardien

Post by SergeGardien »

therube wrote:SeaMonkey has a 'Tools | Translate Page' built-in.
Pardon me therube. Are you suggesting of installing and using SeaMonkey instead of Firefox to solve the issue?
The Google search query you suggest lists few FF addons for translation. I've already tested some of them to no avail.

Am I missing something?
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

I use the extension "S3.Google.translate" and like it very much. It provides the smaller toolbar that is seen on "image 1" (in the first message at the top). The Google bar at the top of a translated page comes from the Google tool, so all extensions and other tools that use it will show the same bar.

The only way to make it totally disappear would be to hide it, either using Chrome CSS or an adblocker such as "uBlock Origin" or "Adblock Plus" with the "Element Hiding Extension for Adblock Plus". With either of these extensions, once a page is translated, you create a rule and select that top toolbar as an element to be hidden.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
SergeGardien

Post by SergeGardien »

mgagnonlv wrote:I use the extension "S3.Google.translate" and like it very much. It provides the smaller toolbar that is seen on "image 1" (in the first message at the top). The Google bar at the top of a translated page comes from the Google tool, so all extensions and other tools that use it will show the same bar.

The only way to make it totally disappear would be to hide it, either using Chrome CSS or an adblocker such as "uBlock Origin" or "Adblock Plus" with the "Element Hiding Extension for Adblock Plus". With either of these extensions, once a page is translated, you create a rule and select that top toolbar as an element to be hidden.
Many thanks mgagnonlv, that's precisely what I was looking for.

Nevertheless I haven't been able to configure the automatic translation of websites in a language different from English (I need to click the toolbar button to achieve that).
In "Options" => "Context Menu" => I've selected "Auto translate " but that is only for having such comm ... #p14754784). The issue seems cause by the "No Script" addon but I still need to find a solution. Here is a further post I've sent to the No Script official support forum: https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... =7&t=23049
Lucian Hodoboc

Post by Lucian Hodoboc »

Why Google Translate? What if I want to use Bing Translator?
David14

Post by David14 »

They are similar Google translator and Bing Translator for the same purpose Both are equally beneficial so you can go with one.
LizaG

Post by LizaG »

Hello!
I'm using this translator http opentran.net/ . Maybe you need it.
Last edited by LIMPET235 on August 18th, 2017, 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Killed the live "Rusky" link/s.