Ctrl + A Deletes Mail. Is there a Fix???

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
killz

Ctrl + A Deletes Mail. Is there a Fix???

Post by killz »

Theres something wrong with FF. When I click inside the message of my received mail and then press Ctrl + A in order to select all the content, the mail gets deleted. Is there a fix to this?
DanRaisch

Re: Ctrl + A Deletes Mail. Is there a Fix???

Post by DanRaisch »

That's not happening here. Do you have any archive related extensions installed? Are you sure the messages are being deleted and not moved to an archive folder? Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

killz wrote:Theres something wrong with FF.
Are you having a problem with webmail when using the Firefox browser or are you having a problem with the Thunderbird email client?
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

In Thunderbird message preview if you do ctrl+A, then hit delete, it will delete the message - this is intentional, by design
Last edited by wsmwk on August 18th, 2017, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

> Is there a fix to this?
I can't think of any way you can avoid this, short of changing and compiling the code yourself
killz

Post by killz »

DanRaisch wrote:That's not happening here. Are you sure the messages are being deleted and not moved to an archive folder?
Yes it moves into the archives folder. Its weird. Is it supposed to do that?
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Let's step back a second - you didn't answer the question of whether you using THunderbird, or using Firefox
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Do you have the extension "Message Archive Options" installed in Thunderbird? Check under menu path Tools->Add-ons->Extensions.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

This is a reply to initial post where OP said the message is getting DELETED. In a later message OP says the messages are getting Archived (see next reply). I'm going to leave this response here in case it can be of use to somebody later ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

When viewing a received mail, if you click inside the message display, you should be able to highlight some or all of the text. At this point you should be able to press Ctrl+C to copy the text to the clipboard for use elsewhere. But when just viewing the message you are NOT IN EDIT MODE, so if you press DEL, you're telling TBird to delete the entire message, no matter whether or not you have some text highlighted at the time.

The good news is this is immediately apparent, and a quick press of Ctrl+Z should restore the message, as long as you do it before placing any other text in the clipboard.

To be able delete some text and leave the rest, you first need to go into message composition mode so that you can edit the text. Right-click the message in your message list, and select Edit as new to bring the message up in a message edit window.

It's really easy to forget to Edit as new first -- can't tell you how many times I've had to Ctrl+Z a message back into place.
Last edited by makaiguy on August 18th, 2017, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Now that OP has said his messages are getting ARCHIVED instead of DELETED, my guess is when this happens he's not getting Ctrl + A pressed simultaneously. When viewing a message, A by itself is the command to Archive.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
killz

Post by killz »

makaiguy wrote:This is a reply to initial post where OP said the message is getting DELETED. In a later message OP says the messages are getting Archived (see next reply). I'm going to leave this response here in case it can be of use to somebody later ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Initially I thought mail was getting deleted until a user suggested it could be archived. I am pressing Ctrl + A at the same time and mail still gets archived.

Next time just ask me directly what I meant without stating something in the 2nd person. It makes it sound weird.
killz

Post by killz »

DanRaisch wrote:Do you have the extension "Message Archive Options" installed in Thunderbird? .
No I dont have that addon.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

If you use menu path Tools->Account Settings->Copies & Folders->Message Archives is there a button reading "Default Archive Options"?
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Do other Ctrl key combinations work for you? If not, maybe your keyboard has developed a problem with the Ctrl key.
Doug Wilson
Twidget0831

Post by Twidget0831 »

I agree with makaiguy. I just duplicated the error you were receiving by not holding down the ctl key. Try the other CTL key on your keyboard and see if it works, you may have worn those key contacts down on that side.