[Ext] Status-4-Evar 2017.03.19.12b

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
FineWine

Re: [Ext] Status-4-Evar 2017.03.19.12b

Post by FineWine »

yes all working again here as well

Thanks
talvo

Post by talvo »

Since updating to 55.0.2 yesterday, my statusbar text has also disappeared; the bar is still there, and the buttons I've placed it on it still work, but no status bar text. Which, unfortunately, means I've had to disable the plugin as I can't see where links lead to, etc. Really hoping for a fix as I love this extension.
pdxwolfy

Post by pdxwolfy »

I was able to make this work with the beta and 55.0.2 (64 bit) on Sierra, but only after completely uninstalling the old Status-4-Evar version, restarting Firefox, and then installing the beta. It's working fine now
whipnet

Post by whipnet »

Terrible news this morning as my Firefox updated to 55.02 and killed my Status-4-ever.

Stopped all other Firefox's from updating until (hopefully) fixed.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

get the latest dev-build (current final is outdated) - direct installation/download
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/a ... sions/beta
talvo

Post by talvo »

Brummelchen wrote:get the latest dev-build (current final is outdated) - direct installation/download
The beta did, indeed, solve the problem, thanks - anyone know why it's not auto-updating to it, though?
avada

Post by avada »

talvo wrote:
Brummelchen wrote:get the latest dev-build (current final is outdated) - direct installation/download
The beta did, indeed, solve the problem, thanks - anyone know why it's not auto-updating to it, though?
There's no update to beta channel from stable channel.
disillusioned1

Post by disillusioned1 »

I'm on Windows 10. The beta didn't work for me on 32-bit Firefox, but it works on 64-bit.
sam.malenfant

Post by sam.malenfant »

Danke. Beta works fine. I really missed it otherwise.
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Hi all,

Sorry this took so long. I haven't been paying attention to the release version of Firefox, so I missed when 55 got released. And then AMO took it's sweet time with getting the new version reviewed.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/

Still no update on WebExtension compatibility. All of the necessary major APIs are still lacking. Though it still does [mostly] function with Firefox 57 if you have the extensions.legacy.enabled preference enabled and you continue to use the nightly version. However, there's not much info on how long that will remain an option. Fortunately, S4E is a fairly low-level extension and doesn't use any SDK/Jetpack/FUEL APIs, so it's relatively unaffected [so far] by their removal.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
Grg68

Post by Grg68 »

Hi Bluefang,

Thank you for updating S4E!
As i noticed however, there are still some glitches in firefox 55, which i think that can be fixed easily.
After i upgraded S4E to v2017.08.20.15, the download icon is not shown in ffx 55, while in ffx 54 is ok.
Also there are some missing icons in settings Ui of S4E.
Making some quick investigation, i found that the resource path "chrome://browser/skin/Toolbar.png"
is no longer valid in ffx 55 (in ffx 54 is valid).
Also, the resource path "chrome://browser/skin/menuPanel.png" is not valid in both ffx 54 and 55.
Both of these paths are specified in overlay.css of S4E.
I hope you will find the time to fix them!

You should also update the maxVersion in install.rdf, because in some cases (mostly in new installs)
ffx rejects S4E as incompatible.
Grg
PicardX

Post by PicardX »

Progress bar in the URL bar won't run across the bottom. It goes on the left side. The only option that will change it is none. Multiple re installs of the extension will not restore the default behavior.
Jack Black

I'm talking to you, Bluefang ^__~

Post by Jack Black »

@Grg68 and anyone interested: the following CSS code will fix missing icons in S4E preferences, provided you add it to Stylish or similar (or directly in S4E CSS if you're either running a Fx version with no signing requirement or sign the add-on afterwards).

Code: Select all

@-moz-document url(chrome://status4evar/content/prefs.xul) {
    radio[pane="status4evar-pane-addonbar"] {
        list-style-image: url("chrome://mozapps/skin/extensions/extensionGeneric.svg")!important
    }
    radio[pane="status4evar-pane-advanced"] {
        list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/preferences/in-content/favicon.ico")!important;
        -moz-image-region: auto!important
    }
    radio[pane="status4evar-pane-status"] {
        list-style-image: url("chrome://global/skin/icons/info.svg")!important
    }
}
tanstaafl_bh

Post by tanstaafl_bh »

Bluefang wrote:Still no update on WebExtension compatibility. All of the necessary major APIs are still lacking. Though it still does [mostly] function with Firefox 57 if you have the extensions.legacy.enabled preference enabled and you continue to use the nightly version. However, there's not much info on how long that will remain an option. Fortunately, S4E is a fairly low-level extension and doesn't use any SDK/Jetpack/FUEL APIs, so it's relatively unaffected [so far] by their removal.
Hi Bluefang... first, thanks very much for Status-4-Evar, it was pure happiness when I found it after Mozilla removed the status bar functionality (I still cannot grasp how they could have possibly thought that was a good idea, or how they can continue to think so).

Can you elaborate on what APIs are missing? Is it just (or primarily) the one(s) dealing with the ability to add toolbars? It sounds like there will be happening sooner rather than later, but sadly maybe not before 57 is released.

I really wish they would put off killing off XUL/XPCOM Addons entirely for at least another few releases (and keep them for the 57 ESR release), that would go a loooooong way to making Addon authors and FF users happy, as it would provide a lot more time for needed APIs to be added and Addon authors to get their Addons converted.
Timvde

Post by Timvde »

Let's try to answer you from my limited point of view. First of all, yes, the Toolbar API is still missing. We will also be unable to get the current status text, so this means that:
  • WebRequest will have to be used to simulate page loading state. This might or might not have an impact on the loading information that can be shown.
  • A page content script will have to be used to get the mouseover link. This will definitely mean that it doesn't work on AMO or about: pages (such as the new tab page).
It is also very likely that we won't get an API to hide the built-in status text, but this can be done through userChrome.css.

My take on the extra features of S4E:
  • Showing status text/links in location bar won't be possible
  • Likewise, the progress bar in the location bar won't be possible
  • The protocol hiding/domain highlighting settings won't be possible (but this can be done through about:config (browser.urlbar.trimURLs and browser.urlbar.formatting.enabled respectively)
  • Getting and showing the download status should be possible by itself, but I have my doubts about having an actual progress bar...
  • I'm not sure whether APIs created by the toolbar API will be usable to put other extension icons.
Disclaimer: while I have done my best to get the correct information, any of it might be wrong.

FWIW: here's a little experiment (not mine) of the basic S4E features as a WebExtension using in-content toolbars. It is not usable imo (breaks websites), but it might give you an idea.