How to move messages from dead IMAP account to Local Folders

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
brian.r.hamilton

How to move messages from dead IMAP account to Local Folders

Post by brian.r.hamilton »

Hello,

I have numerous IMAP accounts in Thunderbird where my access to the server no longer exists. Most of the messages are stored locally in Thunderbird's folder structure, so I am able to read them, etc. I would like to delete the account in Thunderbird but first I need to move all the messages to Local Folders as they are quite important. I made the mistake of thinking that because I could still see them in Thunderbird, it would be simple to clean up this mess when I finally had time (which is now).

When I try to move the messages by dragging & dropping, Thunderbird insists on accessing the server which is impossible because the IMAP account no longer exists on the server. As a result, I am asked to provide the account password, etc., which obviously won't work, or Cancel. Cancel stops the moving process so I am unable to do anything with these messages.

How can I move these messages to Local Folders where I know they are safe & secure so that I can delete the IMAP account from Thunderbird for good?
brian.r.hamilton

Re: How to move messages from dead IMAP account to Local Fol

Post by brian.r.hamilton »

Solved! Apparently this is a great use for Work Offline. That was simple. Hopefully someone else finds this useful.