google accounts in Seamonkey

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
wim van helden

google accounts in Seamonkey

Post by wim van helden »

Dear Forumites

Perhaps this has already passed this forum once, but I hope you will apologise a "newby" for asking again.

I have Seamonkey installed (under Windows 10) as my standard browser and mailclient. In the mailclient I have my primary mail account (a Dutch "xs4all.nl" domain) and several gmail accounts.

Since a couple of months I keep being bothered by a message, obviously from Semonkey, that states that the standaard port of Google (pop.gmail.com:995) tries to identify itself with incorrect information. The g-mail accounts have (for a part) been used for years now, so I cannot imagine that all of a sudden Gmail is abusing some security protocol (or whatever).

Has anyone seen this before, and hopefully solved it? (I cannot see how to attach a image file, I have the error message in jpg format available.)

Looking forward!

Wim van Helden, Holland
LIMPET235

Re: google accounts in Seamonkey

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving this to SeaMonkey Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
wim van helden

Post by wim van helden »

I realised I should add some more details:

All my accounts are configured as "Pop mail accounts".

Every time I get the error message I am invited tot confirm a security exception which I do, but the same message keep coming.

I hope someone knows how to deal with it!

Wim van Helden
hardys

Post by hardys »

Please try to configure Gmail for access with "less secure apps"
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1029976
therube

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

Is it possible that antivirus is interfering?

Maybe test in a new, clean Profile.
Set, ahead of time, to "leave messages on server" (so that when you test in this new Profile it won't affect getting [the same] messages in your regular Profile).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
wim van helden

Post by wim van helden »

@Hardys: all my Gmail accounts have been configured for access with "less secure apps"
@Therube: I have already 4 Gmail accounts two of which have been started in the past months only (the earliest however is several years in service). In seems to me that something has been changed in the security settings of Seamonkey / Mozilla, which causes this problem, quite recently, but if that is the case more people should encounter problems I would guess.

STRANGE!!