Many nonsensable subject e-mail messages

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Uncleduke

Many nonsensable subject e-mail messages

Post by Uncleduke »

Within the past week I have been getting many e-mail messages where the subject is "nonsensical" with many different advertisers. An example of the subjects follow: ?utf-8?Q?=20=06=05=05=02=20=5f=48=2e=61=2e=76=2e=65=5f=59==65=5f=59=2e=65=2e=74=3f=20=05=04=06=06=20?=

I have cleansed my computer with CCleaner, Spybot, Adwcleaner, Junkware, and Malwarebytes with no success. My gut feeling tells me the problem is from Firefox as it is in the message before I download my e-mail (Juno) messages.

Any help would be great. Uncle Dewey
Last edited by RobertJ on August 25th, 2017, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix broken forum format
DanRaisch

Re: Many nonsensable subject e-mail messages

Post by DanRaisch »

My gut feeling tells me the problem is from Firefox as it is in the message before I download my e-mail (Juno) messages.
What is in the message before you download the email?
It's more likely that your email address is being circulated among spammers and it has nothing at all to do with Firefox or malware on your computer.
therube

Post by therube »

Just to point out your "nonsense", Hex to ASCII text converter
?utf-8?Q?=20=06=05=05=02=20=5f=48=2e=61=2e=76=2e=65=5f=59==65=5f=59=2e=65=2e=74=3f=20=05=04=06=06=20?=
_H.a.v.e_Y0u_S.e.ar_ch.ed_Y0.ur_Na.me_Y.e.t?
So just a SPAM message, nothing more, I would think.
Last edited by therube on August 24th, 2017, 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Very badly done spam email.
James

Post by James »

Uncleduke wrote:I have cleansed my computer with CCleaner, Spybot, Adwcleaner, Junkware, and Malwarebytes with no success. My gut feeling tells me the problem is from Firefox as it is in the message before I download my e-mail (Juno) messages.
Firefox is just a web browser being used to view your Juno webmail site. How would the Firefox web browser be blamed for spam?
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

And by the way, although it's not related to the current issue, please configure CCleaner to NOT touch your Firefox installation. CCleaner has a nasty history of deleting things in the Firefox profile that should be left alone. Mozilla programs do a good job of cleaning up after themselves.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Uncleduke

Post by Uncleduke »

Daifne,

It is definitely spam and It would seem to be "badly done spam email". It is just the addition of all that "nonsensable" is new.

Thanks a bunch, and not to worry. Uncle Dewey
Uncleduke

Post by Uncleduke »

Juno advises me to change the Unicode to "UTF-8". I should be able to do this by selecting "View" and then select "Character Encoding" I have found other sites also giving advice about changing "Unicode" and both Juno and the website instruct me to select "View" and then select "Character Encoding", but when I select "View" there is no option for "Character Encoding". In addition, this occurs for Spam and Non-Spam messages

Any help you can give would be great. Uncle Dewey
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Try menu path Tools->Options->Display->Advanced button in the Fonts & Colors section->Text Encoding.
Uncleduke

Post by Uncleduke »

Hi Dan,

When I get to "Text Encoding" there is no way for me to enter UTF-8, but somewhere somebody suggested selecting Japanese, so I did. Now it is to wait and see.

Thanks a bunch, Uncle Dewey
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Hmph. UTF-8 is the first option in the list in the US-EN Localized version but if Japanese winds up working for you, it's all good.
Uncleduke

Post by Uncleduke »

Hi Dan,

Boy, am I confused. I have no idea how I got to "Text Encoding". When doing what you said: "Tools->Options->Display->Advanced button in the Fonts & Colors section->Text Encoding. " I do not get "Display" as an option to click on so never get beyond that point. When doing what Juno told me: "View->Text Encoding->Unicode and for the from the drop down menu and turn off the Auto-detect settings." I do not have the option "Text Encoding--it is shown, but not highlighted so I cannot select it.

Still getting the "nonsensical" info. Thanks a mil for sticking with me. Uncle Dewey
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

So you don't see a dialogue like this when using Thunderbird menu path Tools->Options?

See this for information on posting a screenshot to the forums -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum
Uncleduke

Post by Uncleduke »

I do not see the menu/dialogue you show, but I am using Firefox as my browser. I also checked into Juno and it does not have a tools->display either. Juno had me restart Firefox to default settings. I had one message this morning which had nonsensical info in the "From" and in the "Subject" headings.

Hmmm, Uncle Dewey
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, I'm the one that was confused. You were referring to the subject lines of emails and I jumped to the conclusion that you were working in Thunderbird, not in your browser. Sorry about that.

The menu path you're looking for is not View->Character Encoding but View->Text Encoding. To access that at the top right, choose the hamburger icon that looks like 3 horizontal lines. At the very bottom of the pop-up sidebar select Customize. Drag and drop Character Encoding into the side bar of that Customize window. Select Exit Customize. Press Alt+V to display the View menu and select "Text Encoding".