Spam or Scam....

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
TDV

Spam or Scam....

Post by TDV »

I am receiving newsletters from Global Research
In thunderbird EACH AND EVERY time I get a warning this mail might be a scam

Now I understand that for political reasons Mozilla might not approve of their politics, but what has that got to do with classifying it as a scam, when EACH AND EVERY time I clearly mark as NOT junk.

What do I have to do to receive these mails without interference from thunderbird?

Thank you, TDV
DanRaisch

Re: Spam or Scam....

Post by DanRaisch »

First, understand that Thunderbird does not use the term SPAM in any way. When it reports those messages as a possible "SCAM" it is indicating that features of the message (a large number of addressees, for instance) could indicate that it has been sent for malicious purposes. Marking those messages as Not Junk has no impact on Thunderbird's evaluation of the messages as potential scams. To turn off that evaluation, use menu path Tools->Options->Security->Email Scams tab->uncheck "Tell me if the message I'm reading..."
TDV

Post by TDV »

Thank you very much, found it and un-checked it.

On the similar subject, when I click on "Mark as JUnk" or "Mark as NOT Junk", why does Thunderbird not remember this?
Clearly if I actively mark something like that, I must mean it. I there another setting that I configured wrongly?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Do you have the Junk Mail Controls activated in both locations in Thunderbird?
And, even if you do, it takes some time for TB to learn to recognize that similar messages are indeed Junk or Not Junk based on prior selections by the user.
TDV

Post by TDV »

DanRaisch wrote:Do you have the Junk Mail Controls activated in both locations in Thunderbird?
And, even if you do, it takes some time for TB to learn to recognize that similar messages are indeed Junk or Not Junk based on prior selections by the user.
" Note: Controls are divided between two locations: (a) Tools -> Options -> Security -> Junk, and (b) Tools -> Account Settings -> *each account* -> Junk Settings.
Click Tools -> Options -> Security -> Junk "

That link is not really helping, because in Tools there is no Options, and in Options there is no Tools. In Options there is the security setting where the suggested settings are activated.
As far as Tools goes, check yourself´, there is no options.

My question was: Why does Thunderbird not accept that something is NOT junk, when it offers me a choice in the drop-down menu to mark it with: "This is not junk!"
Should that not change the settings?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

TDV wrote:That link is not really helping, because in Tools there is no Options, and in Options there is no Tools. In Options there is the security setting where the suggested settings are activated.
Yes, there is an Options under Tools, if you are looking a a Windows installation of Thunderbird. There is no top level "Options" menu, it can only be reached via the top level "Tools" menu. Here's the screen shot -- http://imgur.com/owt7y2f
TDV wrote:My question was: Why does Thunderbird not accept that something is NOT junk, when it offers me a choice in the drop-down menu to mark it with: "This is not junk!"
Should that not change the settings?
Is the message marked as Junk before you tell Thunderbird that it is not? If so, what is happening when you click on that message and select "Message->Mark->as Not Junk" from the menu bar (or press Shift+J or right click on the message and select "Mark->as Not Junk" from the context menu)?
TDV

Post by TDV »

Thank you for your answer.

What exactly does that photo show? Certainly no page from the Thunderbird on my Win7

And I mark those messages with a right click on the message and select "Mark->as Not Junk" from the context menu
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That was a capture of the Tools menu options list under the current release version of Thunderbird running on Windows 10. (Which would have the same options under Win Vista or Win 7.)