Firefox 55.0.3 DownloadThemAll Problem

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
greybeard2012

Firefox 55.0.3 DownloadThemAll Problem

Post by greybeard2012 »

Just updated FF to 55.0.3 as part of my weekly maintenance and afterwards started to update other software.

As usual I used the DownloadThemAll download manager Add-On for some. Never had any problems with before today. The downloading works fine, the problem is with the DTA GUI downloading display pane now.

Above the toolbar at the top it is missing almost everything, it is just blank white space. However three odd feint vertical bars appear for minimising, reducing the pane size and closing the window if you hover over the blank area where the normal GUI icons should be.

Also, annoyingly, a reduced size downloading pane, which I tend to use as default, now can't be moved anywhere. It appears permanently stuck where it appears refusing to be dragged by the cursor/mouse in the normal manner.

I've tried restarting FF again but the problem remains. Please can you look into this and fix it ASAP? Thanks.
Brummelchen

Re: Firefox 55.0.3 DownloadThemAll Problem

Post by Brummelchen »

greybeard2012

Post by greybeard2012 »

Mostly In German but I still understood. Thanks.

DTA has always been a popular Addon download manager so it is not surprising other users have noticed this. That is some help in confirming it is not just a quirk with my set up.

The question is what's being done about it?

I always put in a restore point before updating stuff and I've used that to go back to 54.01 which is what I was using until the 55.0.3 update. An hour of my life lost redoing my weekly maintenance but DTA's GUI is displaying correctly again. Yay!

I did also notice that 55.0.3 is the second update to 55.0 in the last month, that is never a good sign.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

/me not reading again but AFAIR its buggy with v55 and definitely gone with v57. time to look for alternatives. sorry.
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

Sorry for my poor English.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, just a couple of points for clarification:
Please can you look into this and fix it ASAP? Thanks.
We're not Mozilla. This forum is not run by or formally associated with Mozilla. We're an independent user-helping-user community. And, if we were Mozilla, DTA is not from Mozilla. It's from an independent author, so they are the one to go to with problems relating to that extension.
The question is what's being done about it?
That would be a question to ask of the developer of DownThemAll.
James

Post by James »

To add to that, the vast majority of Extensions being hosted at https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/extensions/ are made by a third-party author or company with no Mozilla involvement. Most of the Mozilla involved Extensions are by authors like Mozilla and Mozilla Labs.
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

I've just checked: DTA is fully functional in Firefox 55.0.3, no UI glitches. It must be a problem with your profile.
Sorry for my poor English.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Try disabling all extensions but DTA and then close and restart the program. (Disable them by using menu path Tools->Addons->Extensions->click on "Disable" for every extension but one.) See if the problem is present. If not, enable an additional extension and close and restart the application. Repeat this procedure until the problem reappears. The last enabled extension will be the cause of the problem.
greybeard2012

Post by greybeard2012 »

You've probably not understood where the problem is unless you actually used it to download something.

DTA still works with 55.0.3 as it did before and there is nothing wrong with the two separate GUI screens/panes when the download is added/queued or the next, start/settings screen.

The problem is when the download starts showing the progress of the download etc, the top of that screen/pane is blank ie. no normal minimise, reduce or exit buttons at the top right and the download control buttons that should be strung across the missing top part are now below in different place.

There is also the issue that you can't move the reduced pane around the screen.

To blame this display behaviour on the addon is just one rung up the ladder from those whose knee jerk reaction to any problem is to blame everything on viruses or malware. Most of the time trouble like this IS caused by a program update. Although it is a obviously an unfortunate interaction between two different pieces of software saying the fault lies anywhere else but with the program that has just been 'updated' is illogical.

As said, I've restored FF 54.01 and it works as it always has done for the seven years I've been using it with WinXP 32bit and currently Win7 64bit. This problem only started after I updated to FF5.0.3 yesterday and, BTW, no trouble either with FF 52.3.0 ESR on the same PC in VM XP Mode.
Last edited by greybeard2012 on August 27th, 2017, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
porkyuk

Post by porkyuk »

greybeard2012 wrote:You've probably not understood where the problem is unless you actually used it to download something.

DTA still works with 55.0.3 as it did before and there is nothing wrong with the two separate GUI screens/panes when the download is added/queued or the next, start/settings screen.

The problem is when the download starts showing the progress of the download etc, the top of that screen/pane is blank ie. no normal minimise, reduce or exit buttons at the top right and the download control buttons that should be strung across the top are all missing.

There is also the issue that you can't move the reduced pane around the screen.

To blame this display behaviour on the addon is just one rung up the ladder from those whose knee jerk reaction to any problem is to blame everything on viruses or malware. Most of the time trouble like this IS caused by a program update. Although it is a obviously an unfortunate interaction between two different pieces of software saying the fault lies anywhere else but with the program that has just been 'updated' is illogical.

As said, I've restored FF 54.01 and it works as it always has done for the seven years I've been using it with WinXP 32bit and currently Win7 64bit. This problem only started after I updated to FF5.0.3 yesterday and, BTW, no trouble either with FF 52.3.0 ESR on the same PC in VM XP Mode.
Quit agree with the last person, I have also gone back to a version that worked fine. This update just does not work for me at all, almost made me got over to IInternet Explorer.
therube

Post by therube »

SeaMonkey up top.
Firefox 55.0.3 down below.

And if dTA broke, you've got to figure that there are other extensions out there that also broke with 55.0.3.

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

To blame this display behaviour on the addon is just one rung up the ladder from those whose knee jerk reaction to any problem is to blame everything on viruses or malware. Most of the time trouble like this IS caused by a program update.
Not really. Most of the time the problems reported here and attributed to an update turn out to involve an installed extension. That's based on 13 years experience on these forums. That's not to say that it can't be or isn't a problem with the update but since we're not seeing massive numbers of problems reported with 55.0.3 I'll venture to say that the majority of the different problems being reported are not due to the update itself. Extensions are supposed to ensure compatibility with Firefox, not the other way around. Developers of extensions may have to tweak their product to accommodate intentional changes in the browser and that could be the case here, or it might not. We'll have to wait and see.
therube

Post by therube »

(No. It's the update from 55.0.2 to 55.0.3. That FF breaks things [continually, but that's besides the point] in a dot release is wrong. Maybe a bug on FF's end, but that too is not the point. Maybe dTa will put out a, what might be simple (?), fix to cover this? There is no & has been no stability in FF releases for ages. And that's a shame.

Two fixes, https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/5 ... easenotes/. Nothing to clue you in that there was anything else done.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
greybeard2012

Post by greybeard2012 »

It looks slightly different with Win 7 64bit but essentially those pictures therube posted show exactly what I am talking about.

It is absurd heaping the blame for this on other extensions. I've added no new extensions/plugins since I built my PC 2 years ago in fact I've actually reduced them. This issue is specific to the updated FF 55.0.3.

Oh yes and don't blame this on reverting to FF 54.01 either which I notice Mozilla say that should not be done with FF 55.0 or it might cause problems. The trouble described all happened prior to doing that as should be obvious.

I posted about this in the Mozilla Help Forum too (a patently awful mechanism for dealing with such problems) and, as I expected, the only reply so far, in effect, blames DTA too. A predictable response but hopefully we may receive other, more helpful advice or even action rather than expecting someone else to fix an extension/plugin they've, inadvertently, broken themselves.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1173096
Last edited by James on August 27th, 2017, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed sumo url