Going to account settings

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ep2012
Location: If you aren't fighting in this war, YOU are part of the problem!

Going to account settings

Post by ep2012 »

Hi there,

So I just redid my entire TB due to all the issues I've been having & one of the issues was that when I click on one of my MANY inboxes & go to Tools --- Account Settings, it should take me to that specific account.

Well I just tried it & it's STILL not taking me to that account. Did TB change it so it no longer does that?

Thanks
Ignoring the Truth about what is going on will NOT make it go away, it will only help those who are destroying US!
sfhowes

Re: Going to account settings

Post by sfhowes »

Right-click an account (not a folder) in the Folder Pane, Settings, to have Account Settings open with the account selected.
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

Ok, I'm very very tired right now & I don't understand what you are saying. Right clicking on the inbox doesn't give me any option to go to the location of that e-mail account in Account Settings.

Nothing is working properly & we just spent 5 hours on this.

It may very well be Silvermel. We just re-copied ALL of the files/folders in the old profile to the new profile's name & when I opened TB, I was able to get it to jump directly TO the account name in account settings & I haven't installed Silvermel yet.

I won't know if it's Silvermel until I install it & re-open TB & try again.

I'm not using the latest vs. of TB BECAUSE I want Silvermel.
Ignoring the Truth about what is going on will NOT make it go away, it will only help those who are destroying US!
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

Don't right-click the Inbox - right-click the account under which Inbox and the other folders are defined. Or, select the account in the Folder Pane, then click 'View settings for this account' on the right, assuming a standard layout. This is independent of the theme, and in fact Silvermel works fine here in TB 52 & 56, despite the message that it's 'incompatible' with these versions.

If the installation of Silvermel or any other add-on is blocked, it may help to first install this add-on:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... atibility/
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

Ok, so it IS Silvermel that's causing the issues. When we redid everything & it was the default theme, I was able to go to Tools, Account Settings & it jumped RIGHT to the account. Once I installed Silvermel it stopped working.

Now when going to the appearance tab to uninstall Silvermel I can't see it located there. It's just a white blank page. http://s972.photobucket.com/user/michel ... p.jpg.html

When going to "get add-ons", it's just spinning the "Loading" word. All of the extensions that were there before, I don't know if they are there.

I even restarted & it's still spinning & I still can't see the theme. <sigh>
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

For what it's worth, if I select a folder in the Folder Pane, then open Tools/Account Settings, it opens with the account containing the folder selected. This is true for any theme, whether it be Default, Silvermel or any other. I don't know why you get a blank page when you open Tools/Add-ons; try safe mode (hold Shift when you launch TB) to see if you can at least display the extensions, user styles and themes that are installed. They will all be disabled, but can be removed if necessary.
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

I will have to see how to open TB in safe mode. B/c TB takes forever to open (around 10-20 minutes), I'm not even sure I can :( I won't be able to do the shift thing either b/c of that.

So why is my Silvermel not working :( You think it's an add-on conflicting with it, or did you do a hack to it that makes it work?

Thanks
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

I didn't do anything special to make Silvermel work, but if TB is taking 10-20 min. to open, you have far more serious issues than choosing a theme. There are several possible causes, such as Windows or TB indexing of very large message folders, incompatible add-ons or antivirus software etc. Here is a list of performance symptoms and solutions: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Te ... e_Problems

When you 'redid' your entire TB, did you start with a new profile and transfer data from the old profile to the new one incrementally so as to avoid reintroducing issues buried in the old profile?
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

Ok, I'll get someone to look into that.

He said to copy all the files in the old profile over to the new profile. How do you do it incrementally? I don't even know what 99% of those files are for :(
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

Instructions for transferring selected data from another profile are given here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... hunderbird
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

Ok, thank you.

Now the next issue I have (I created another thread for it, but no one has answered) is that TB somehow removed my custom directories to about 7 of my e-mail accounts. It replaced it with TB's default path.

When TB did this I don't know, but I noticed it when we redid TB.

I had a really hard time pointing it back to my custom directory & when I finally did, about 2-3 of those 6-7 accounts had NO mail in them :(

So I'm all confused on what to do now since I've had pieces of mail download since last night. I can't lose that mail.

The only commonality between these 6-7 accounts is that they were at the end of the long list of e-mail accounts I have.

Most were recent from 2016, but there was even one there from 2012.
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

Not sure what you mean by missing directories, but if this is for IMAP accounts, right-click an account, Subscribe, and refresh the directory structure and check the folders you wish to see in TB. If the folders appear but are empty, you can force a re-download by right-clicking, Properties, Repair Folder.
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

No, this is for Pop.

I created my own list of e-mail account directories for ALL of my e-mail accounts on my E drive. 7 of the accounts have now been switched TB's default directory. I'm talking about where my mail is located.

Thanks