cannot install SeaMonkey 2.48 under WinXP

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
giul51

cannot install SeaMonkey 2.48 under WinXP

Post by giul51 »

Hi, I've been installing and using SeaMonkey since years, under Windows XP and recently Debian Linux. Everything went smooth and very satisfactorily till version 2.40 (included).

Now I tried and update to v. 2.48 , under WinXP Pro Sp3. Launching the auto-installer, it halts soon after expanding the files, claiming that it needs a version of "XP Sp2 or newer (?)".
Tried with v. 2.46: same result.
Tried with 2.48.zip, and when launching Seamonkey I got a warning that "application initialization failed".
Did I miss something ? is that a bug ? thanks for the help
frg

Re: cannot install SeaMonkey 2.48 under WinXP

Post by frg »

Your processor is likely missing SSE2 support. This is needed because VS2015 is now used and the first version had a bug inserting SSE2 instructions.

The wrong error message has been corrected for later builds but the requirements are fixed and can not be changed. 2.49.1 will be the last version for Linux where SSE2 is not mandatory.
therube

Post by therube »

A possible work-around, http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14749062.
Backup first.
Read carefully.
Hold on to the (full) SeaMonkey 2.48 (official) release, as that can be extracted (7-zip) to get (copy over) various dll files that are not included in cuppettcj's build & may be needed.

Backup first (& second & third).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
giul51

Post by giul51 »

Thanks for replying.
@frg
Actually my cpu is a AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2400+, which as far as I can see supports SSE, not SSE2.
Very sad to hear that even on Linux, I will not be able to install Seamonkey beyond v. 2.49 (!!).

@therube
thanks for the link to the other relevant post, which looks to address exactly the problem I am having. I'll see to get through the instructions there and thanks for the hint.
frg

Post by frg »

> Actually my cpu is a AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2400+, which as far as I can see supports SSE, not SSE2.
> Very sad to hear that even on Linux, I will not be able to install Seamonkey beyond v. 2.49 (!!).

Personally I think it would be time to upgrade. These CPUs are beyond end of life and a used Core2Duo costs next to nothing.

On Linux distributions might keep the support alive but we can't do it. Hard enough to catch up with mozilla changes even without tinkering with compiler options.

FRG
frg

Post by frg »

Also 2.49.x will be the last version running under XP.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to SeaMonkey Support.
James

Post by James »

frg wrote:Also 2.49.x will be the last version running under XP.
As the OP said the SM 2.46 did not work on WinXP which is due to no SSE2 support on CPU.

For those who have old CPU's that does not support SSE2 the SM 2.49.x will the last for Linux users rather. For WinXP/Vista users without SSE2 support the last SeaMonkey you could use was any build that used Gecko 48.0 or earlier.

SM 2.46 use Gecko 49.0
SM 2.48 use Geck0 51.0
SM 2.49 use Gecko 52.0

For Firefox users https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/49.0/releasenotes/
Ended Firefox for Windows support for SSE processors
https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/53.0/releasenotes/
Ended Firefox Linux support for processors older than Pentium 4 and AMD Opteron
For current SeaMonkey 2.48 release it lists SSE2 as requirement for Windows.
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/s ... quirements
James

Post by James »

Also keep in mind that since you have a 32-bit cpu that many Linux distros have dropped support of 32-bit or will be in future as time goes on in favour of 64-bit cpu's.

If you are on a budget there may be some electronic recycle places that refurb computers and parts that you can potentially get cheap. Some places in Canada and US for example have Free Geek places that sells refurbished computers and computer-related parts and peripherals and do other stuff like volunteer to own PC's and such. The http://www.freegeekvancouver.org/ for example is a large active one that I would love to have in my area to make it easier in looking for decent cheap PSU's and video cards as I have one nice Win7 system with a i5-2400 I got cheap that would like to upgrade.