Using POP To Send File From My PC No Longer Works

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Wiggam72

Using POP To Send File From My PC No Longer Works

Post by Wiggam72 »

The box that opens after E-mail is clicked in a folder to send a file on my PC via POP doesn't appear. Even when I click to open Thunderbird, only the other box opens. Before this problem started, two boxes would open when I launch Thunderbird.

Does FF have anything to do with the functionality of Thunderbird? The reason I ask is because to my knowledge, this didn't happen until the latest FF update 55.0.3. Several of FF features no longer work after the update. I posted about it in the FF section.

Strangely, the only icon that did not get deleted from my FF toolbar is the one I use for POP and it works, meaning it opens the box to send a link and I can send with no problems. I was using the add-on Toolbar Buttons, but FF v 55.0.3 now says it is incompatible.
DanRaisch

Re: Using POP To Send File From My PC No Longer Works

Post by DanRaisch »

You don't send messages via POP. That email protocol is involved in downloading messages from the server to the email client but not with sending messages which involves SMTP servers.
Does FF have anything to do with the functionality of Thunderbird?
No, it does not. You can run Thunderbird without Firefox being installed.
Even when I click to open Thunderbird, only the other box opens.
Where are you clicking to open Thunderbird? On a desktop shortcut, on the program name, or somewhere else?
To what two boxes are you referring?
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

The two boxes I'm referring to is as follows:

1. The dialog box that appears for POP is what has From, To and Subject. It is supposed to open automatically when either the word E-mail (located on Windows Explorer toolbar if the folder is properly setup) is clicked on after highlighting a file on a computer, or if an e-mail icon is clicked on while using a browser to e-mail a link.

The long way of doing the same thing from the computer is to right-click the file on the computer > Send to > Mail Recipient > then choose whether or not you want the original size to send.

2. The launch when not using POP is from a desktop shortcut. The other box that I'm referring to appears when launched from a shortcut is the one that has Inbox/Drafts/Sent/Trash/Local Folders and several other tabs and options.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

1. That's Windows functionality and not actually something controlled by Thunderbird. Make sure that Thunderbird is set as the default email client under Windows -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_mail_client

2. That's the Thunderbird main window and really has nothing to do with Firefox per se. Any browser set as the system default would (should) cause Windows to launch the default email client (Thunderbird in this case) when a Mailto: link is clicked or the "Send to->Mail Recipient" context menu procedure is used.
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

Do you have any ideas how to fix this problem? I've tried reinstalling Thunderbird, disabling my security software, disabling and re-enabling Thunderbird as the default and checking out every setting I could to try to make the Write box appear when sending a file from my PC.

It totally baffles me why it works when I send a link from the browser, but not from the computer.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That's not really a Thunderbird or Firefox issue. It sounds as though there are Windows registry settings that are not properly configured to launch an email client in response to those actions. Check out this article to see if it is helpful -- https://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-ma ... ssing.html
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

Sorry I took so long to get back to this. I was away for the Labor Day weekend. I just now finished with Microsoft Support. They manually updated my PC and now it works again. However, I have one big problem.

Last week before I left, I tried fixing the problem. I somehow made another Thunderbird Profile and switched it to IMAP hoping that would work. However, it did not. I tried to delete that Profile but could not specifically find it and ended up deleting my original Profile with all of my Contact info and Sent messages.

When i deleted it, did it delete all of the info along with it, or did it save that info somewhere where I can retrieve it? If so, where and how can I put it back?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

When i deleted it, did it delete all of the info along with it, or did it save that info somewhere where I can retrieve it?
It would depend on how you deleted the profile.
See this article for information on locating the profile folder so you can see if there are still two sets of profile directories and files there -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

Thanks. It appears that fortunately my Profile data was not deleted. I opened the folder and saw the original Profile and the new one I created last week. Unlike FF, it isn't straightforward. In FF, once you open the Profile Manager, you merely select which Profile to use.

I can't figure out how to use my original Profile again. ](*,)
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

I still can't do it. I followed the instructions but no luck when I enter what it says, "C:\Program Files\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe" -P and get a message saying: No items match your search. This is what it says for Thunderbird. Also, I don't see the Profile Manager shortcut in Windows Start.

Thunderbird: Use the "Profile Manager" shortcut located in the Windows Start -> Programs menu (if available). You can also use the Firefox instructions given below for entering the full path to the installation directory. For example, enter the following in the Windows Run box (you should substitute the actual path):

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -P
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Well, that first section in the Knowledge Base related to SeaMonkey and Windows won't find "Seamonkey.exe" unless you have that program installed on your system. It's the next entry that relates to Thunderbird.

Make sure that Thunderbird is not running but not visible by opening Windows Task Manager and reviewing the Processes tab. End the process if it is running. After doing that, close Task Manager and use Windows Explorer (the file manager, not Internet Explorer) to review the directory C:\Program Files. If there is no reference in that directory to Mozilla Thunderbird, check under C:\Program Files (x86) to see if there is a reference to Mozilla Thunderbird (or just Thunderbird) in that location. If there is, change "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -P to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -P to try to start the profile manager. Make sure to keep the space between the close quote and the hypen P.
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

Thanks Dan!!! =D> As far as that "C:\Program Files\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe" -P entry, I don't know how in the heck I ended up copying and pasting that here!! :oops: I did try "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -P and got the No items match your search message.

What worked is the other entry you provided, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -P

Thanks again Dan! You saved the day!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're quite welcome.