Firefox accidentally deleted

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Sapperdeflap

Re: Firefox accidentally deleted

Post by Sapperdeflap »

trolly wrote: The date of the folder may not match the last access.
I don't understand. I already mentioned the dates of the folders. Could you please clarify?
Whoever controls the narrative controls the world.
trolly

Post by trolly »

Stop talking about CCleaner. That's off topic.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
trolly

Post by trolly »

Sapperdeflap wrote:
trolly wrote: The date of the folder may not match the last access.
I don't understand. I already mentioned the dates of the folders. Could you please clarify?
??

The folder has a date (usually last change) in the file explorer and the files in the folder too. The shown dates sometimes does not match.
A file in a folder can have a newer date.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Sapperdeflap

Post by Sapperdeflap »

Right, just before you posted I got what you meant and checked some of the dates of the files. It is clear that the dates of the files in the folder in Word are not later than Feb. 2016. I saw a few files in the folder bt2k93e3.default-1454353198019 that have date last modified of Sunday, the day when the deletion happened. So that looks really promising, doesn't it? Fingers crossed here. :D

I'd like to ask for a little bit more patience and understanding. I'm not an IT person, English is not my mother tongue, and this profile stuff is all new to me.
trolly

Post by trolly »

That looks good. Just for security make a copy of all profile folders before.
In case the profile is not picked up you can try to restore individual files.
Sapperdeflap

Post by Sapperdeflap »

Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!! My Firefox is BACK! And like it never went away too! \:D/

I'm so happy. This profile thing is THE BOMB!!!

THANK you, Trolly, for helping me out. You don't know how much that means to me. No cliché, I mean that.

Next time I'll know what to do.

Oh, just checked the add-ons. With every add-on it says "out-of-date" (or something similar, translated). Is that because of the last FF update?
therube

Post by therube »

The English word is, Legacy.
And that is just pointing out that come FF 57, Legacy extensions will stop working.
(Just ;-).)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
trolly

Post by trolly »

You're welcome. :-)
Sapperdeflap

Post by Sapperdeflap »

Thank you for telling me that, Therube. I hope that will be solved.
Sapperdeflap

Post by Sapperdeflap »

Hello again,

I found out what that pop-up was about.

As no name of the program was mentioned in the pop-up I didn't know where it came from, but now I know. I received an upgrade from MBAM and, lo and behold, I got the same pop-up, so I could check it out more. It was from WiseProgramUninstaller, an uninstall program by WiseCleaner. Check the image. It states the old version of MBAM and says: "check the results and click on delete to complete the de-installation". With the pop-up about Firefox files this is why I thought they were remnant files of the old version of Firefox. You know, just like when I use WiseProgramUninstaller, after the first de-installation you can delete files left in the registry etc. But if you look closely you see that the first file is the actual full folder of MBAM, so on deletion everything of MBAM will be deleted. So this is why all of Firefox was deleted when I clicked on delete.

This time I didn't do anything and contacted WiseCleaner about it and they said that they are trying to fix this problem. So it was an error in this uninstall program.

Hope that was illuminating. It's always so nice when something is cleared up, isn't it? :D
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

reason i never use such uninstaller although a have a license for Revo Uninstaller.

malwarebytes uninstaller is not perfect but they offer a cleaner tool
https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1112

latest MBAM 3.2.2
https://www.malwarebytes.com/

mb3-setup-consumer-3.2.2.2029-1.0.212-1.0.2951.exe
Sapperdeflap

Post by Sapperdeflap »

Hi Brummelchen,

I think you misunderstood.

I didn't use WiseProgramUninstaller to uninstall the previous version of MBAM. What I now know is that WPU detects the uninstallation of another uninstaller, in my case Firefox and MBAM, and on its own accord gives me a list of files of the old version to delete or not. Which is weird, as I assume both Firefox and MBAM know how to clean up after themselves. :D

So the upgrade of MBAM was done all on its own which means I have the latest version of MBAM. MB-Clean is a tool to uninstall MBAM versions. WPU is a freeware program to uninstall all programs with an additional layer to remove remnant files which Programs&Features doesn't do. I have Revo Uninstaller but the freeware version only uninstalls 32-bits programs.