Thunderbird freezes under W10

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ManWell

Thunderbird freezes under W10

Post by ManWell »

Thunderbird freezes under windows 10 unless I start it in offline mode. Have tried changing proxies (Tools>Options>advanced>Connection-Settings) but this does not fix the issue. Still investigating how I can turn Tbird back to online mode again without it freezing for good (its not very useful offline). Using 38.5.0 but have seen this issue in different version and am convinced its related to Windows 10 (same Tbird works fine with Win 7). Have upgraded to Tbird 52.3.0 and the same problem occurs.
ManWell

Re: Thunderbird 53.2.0 Horrifically Slow (windows 10)

Post by ManWell »

Mine locks rather than lags for long. Have tried tbird safe mode and backward compatibility mode to win 7. My only clue worth pointing out is that it doesn't happen if I set tbird to start in offline mode. As soon as I go to online mode, it freezes
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird 53.2.0 Horrifically Slow (windows 10)

Post by DanRaisch »

am convinced its related to Windows 10 (same Tbird works fine with Win 7).
What security software is running on the Win 10 system? Is it the same security software running on the Win 7 system?
Was Thunderbird installed under a restricted Windows user ID on the Win 10 system?
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird freezes under W10

Post by tanstaafl »

I split this thread from http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3032955 since it doesn't appear the original thread had a windows 10 specific problem.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If its a windows 10 specific problem I'd suspect its due to your windows 10 drivers or other software that you have on the system. Thunderbird has been working well under Windows 10 for several years.

What does winver return? Mine says I'm using version 1703 (build 15063.540) of windows 10 home. That doesn't mention that I'm using the x64 version.

Try booting Windows 10 in "Enable Safe Mode with Networking". That will minimize the amount of custom software that is running. Be aware that temporarily disables AV software. See http://www.pcworld.com/article/2984712/ ... -mode.html If that workarounds the problem then you need to identify what is the software that was causing the problem by incrementally adding some of it back.
ManWell

Post by ManWell »

Thunderbird stopped working properly about a month ago, I suspect through some windows update. I have just reinstalled as Admin and the same problem happens. Have tried "Safe Mode with networking" but it doesn't let me get back on the internet (laptop without ethernet port, so via wifi), so can't check if this sorts out the problem

Winver is 1703 (OS build 15063.540). Windows Defender.