Change update channel

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
isaacschemm

Change update channel

Post by isaacschemm »

I'm on Firefox Developer Edition at the moment. Is there a way I can change my release channel so instead of going to 57 beta, it goes to 56 release? (LastPass isn't ready for WebExtensions quite yet.) If not, I'll just install regular Fx 56 when it comes out and copy my profile over.
smsmith

Re: Change update channel

Post by smsmith »

You can learn how to change your update channel from this article:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/App.update.channel

If you elect to go that route rather than installing the release version on your own, please make sure you backup your profile(s). In fact, you should probably do that anyway just to be safe.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
James

Post by James »

Not sure if you can actually go backwards a channel that way by editing the channel in channel-prefs.js file. Changing the app.update.channel preference in about:config will have NO affect since Fx 4.0 as the preference there just shows what channel you are set on.

Easiest way to change channel is to install a build on the channel you want to be on, in this case the Firefox 55.0.3 release from www.mozilla.org/firefox/all/
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

There used to be an extension (Channel Changer?) that does this. It was very useful.
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

Thanks everyone. I'll probably just wait until the release comes out and then install that and copy/move my profile, that way it won't be installd in the "Firefox Developer Edition" folder :)