Terrible idea to break all firefox addons

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
sekular

Terrible idea to break all firefox addons

Post by sekular »

I don't know which genius at mozilla came up with this idea and just expected all addons to update but the guy should be hit with a cricket bat on his head.

This is rubbish. I know for a fact that this addonbar restored would work with firefox 55. They just disabling addons because they running an authoritarian model.

Looking at the change log for firefox 55, there is nothing special on it. WebVR what a waste of time that is. Break all addons but add worthless webvr? :roll:
Last edited by LIMPET235 on August 31st, 2017, 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Some slight text editing.
the-edmeister

Re: Terrible idea to break all firefox addons

Post by the-edmeister »

If you're referring to the new Legacy label (with the yellow highlight) for older XUL-based add-ons that appears in the Add-ons Manager after the Firefox 55 update, that is just an advance warning message - not telling you that all those add-ons were disabled en masse. Many of those Legacy add-ons will work in Fx 55 & 56, but will be disabled once the update to Firefox 57 occurs in mid-November 2017.

And if you would have clicked on Legacy in the Add-ons Manager you would have been taken here:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fi ... odernizing
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
sekular

Post by sekular »

I am fully aware of what is happening and that is what i am moaning about.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox General as there is no support question here.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

you are not new to mozillazine - you are familiar with editing xpi files - why should you be upset now? it was so many times announced that upcoming versions will have major changes, in special v55 with favicons and indexedDB and v57 with servo and webextensions. there is nothing to rant. go 52esr and you have fortune up to beginning 2018
billyswong

Post by billyswong »

They don't just break old addons. They say a "no" to powerful addons that wanted to migrate but deemed too powerful in their eyes. Feature request are marked won't fix.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

We're all ticked off. If you check the other threads on this topic, there are some alternatives to get around this.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
toolong

Post by toolong »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:We're all ticked off. If you check the other threads on this topic, there are some alternatives to get around this.

If you lower your head, stick out your lower lip, fold your arms closely around your chest, rapidly stamp your feet, and scream loudly my guess would be that will be as effective on Mozilla as it was with your parents.

Have a nice day. :-)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Locking this as I think all that all that needs to be said on the subject has been said.