Addon Compat. Reporter Messy Addons labels ("LEGACY"...)

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
DN123ABC

Addon Compat. Reporter Messy Addons labels ("LEGACY"...)

Post by DN123ABC »

Does anyone else think it would be helpful to do the Addons Manager in a matrix layout?

I'd like to see a column including version number, "LEGACY" (or not), and also "WEBEXT" (or not).

Using version 56 right now, and I think that does both "LEGACY" as well as "WEBEXT" addons.

There is also a setting/field called "Compatible with multiprocess" ("Not compatible with multiprocess").

These are all in helter-skelter order around the screen, and it would be nice to see them laid out in a more orderly fashion. I imagine the data is all there, since it is now displayed, but it is not easy to see, since it depends on how long the extension name is, among other things.

Anyone?
Last edited by DN123ABC on September 8th, 2017, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
the-edmeister

Re: messy Addons labels ("LEGACY", ...)

Post by the-edmeister »

We're going thru a transition stage with Firefox 55 and 56. No point in thinking about for too long, come Firefox 57 the Legacy extensions will be disabled and WE will all that is allowed, unless you use with the Nightly build.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

the-edmeister wrote:We're going thru a transition stage with Firefox 55 and 56. No point in thinking about for too long, come Firefox 57 the Legacy extensions will be disabled and WE will all that is allowed, unless you use with the Nightly build.
This is what I am talking about. It would make it easier to keep track of what is fixed or working, and what is not. Either way, it would help to show the versions and any/all information in a more organized fashion, either before or after version 56 and 57.

Thanks for letting me clear this up.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

There is this link with current working /non-working/being fixed information.
are we web extensions yet
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

What's Mz's purported reason for making the changes? What's the Nightly Build (briefly,) and how does it compare to ESR?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:What's Mz's purported reason for making the changes?
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fi ... =inproduct
What's the Nightly Build (briefly,) and how does it compare to ESR?
Nightly builds are alpha software, with a new "build" or "daily snapshot" created everyday. It can be unstable and is not recommended for everyday use unless you like to live on the edge. Firefox release is v55. Nightly is v57. Before features and fixes make it into release, they filter down from Nightly and are improved or removed before being released. It does not compare to ESR in any way. ESR is the exact opposite of the Firefox spectrum.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

I just realized one of these labels comes from a separate extension: Addon Compatibility Reporter 2.2.4, which is ITSELF INCOMPATIBLE! ("LEGACY")

You'd think someone touting a COMPATIBILITY REPORTER would try to stay more current!
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

smsmith wrote:
Thanks for clarifying that.. Mz's destroying many add-ons to make others compatible. :roll: And I suppose they don't approve of all the chrome tweaks we've done either. Meaning they're no longer happy that we're open-source.

Can this be removed from our mission statement: "...but we love them just the same."
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
James

Post by James »

smsmith wrote:
What's the Nightly Build (briefly,) and how does it compare to ESR?
Nightly builds are alpha software, with a new "build" or "daily snapshot" created everyday. It can be unstable and is not recommended for everyday use unless you like to live on the edge. Firefox release is v55. Nightly is v57. Before features and fixes make it into release, they filter down from Nightly and are improved or removed before being released. It does not compare to ESR in any way. ESR is the exact opposite of the Firefox spectrum.
To add Nightly is not tied to any one version as it is one of the development channels as it used to be Release < Beta < Aurora(developers edition) < Nightly and now it is Firefox < Beta < Nightly. Before this Mozilla used to use codenames for versions being developed but stopped from Fx 4.0 and on. A ESR version has its own channel for updates.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Here are three.
  • Taking advantage of new technologies like Electrolysis and Servo
    Protecting users from spyware and adware
    Shortening the time it takes to review add-ons
REF: The Future of Developing Add-ons
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
DN123ABC

Re: Addon Compat. Reporter Messy Addons labels ("LEGACY"...)

Post by DN123ABC »

Is there a similar extension for Addon Compatibility Reporter, which helps people migrate to version 57?
Brummelchen

Re: Addon Compat. Reporter Messy Addons labels ("LEGACY"...)

Post by Brummelchen »

there is no migration possible - written so many times - legacy is a complete other modell. you have to search on your own if there is a replacement. ACR dont know about webextensions.

but if you have a closer look - firefox is offering a link to find a replacement as webextension - you should click it.