Seamonkey Crashes after OSX update

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
BrianDSy

Seamonkey Crashes after OSX update

Post by BrianDSy »

I updated to 2.48 using the auto using the auto update feature and it crashed during the update. The application was 'not responding' so I had to force quit.

Seamonkey would not launch after that so I went to Firefox and downloaded the 2.48 install file, this is when I saw the warning that automatic updates were not working for this release. I installed the 2.48 update and Seamonkey repeatedly crashed shortly after launching. It would launch to the default profile and ask me if I wanted to allow access to the OSX address book. I tried restarting in safe mode, the result was that the browser was ok but not Messenger. Each time I started Messenger it would crash as soon as a message was selected in the Inbox before the content of the message was displayed in the Preview Pane.

I've been using Seamonkey and before that the Netscape Suite so I knew that one of the places to look was the Prefs.js file.
After reviewing the update page and the list of unsupported add-ons I looked at the prefs.js file and the entries for Enigmail and Chatzilla were still there, which pointed to the solution that editing the prefs file was needed. I took the following steps:

remove the two files - update-settings and updater.ini from package contents
start Seamonkey using terminal command on next line
/Applications/SeaMonkey.app/Contents/MacOS/seamonkey-bin -P
Create new profile
If asked for permission to access your address book on OS X, do not allow it.
On start of Seamonkey, you will be presented with dialog to set Seamonkey as default for browsing, email, feeds, etc: Uncheck the box next to “browsing” and" always check when seamonkey starts"
Open prefs.JS in your old references folder. Remove the line that begins with user_pref("extensions.xpiState",

After restarting Seamonkey it worked fine. However, none of the mail settings were carred over, I can see the Imap mail folder contains the msf files and looks ok, but none of the email settings appear. When launching mail the dialog to create a new account is shown, and there are no email accounts set up in the Messenger
frg

Re: Seamonkey Crashes after OSX update

Post by frg »

Unfortunately a known bug with no fix in 2.48. Some internal data structures and apis changed in OSX. Seems not to hit everyone. You might try to not let SeaMonkey access your address book.

This fix will be in 2.49.1:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3032485
BrianDSy

Post by BrianDSy »

It would be great to find a workaround that would bring in my old mailboxes. They seem to be intact.
BrianDSy

Post by BrianDSy »

I should have made the subject of the thread - Seamonkey on OSX crashes after update to 2.48
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

BrianDSy wrote:I should have made the subject of the thread - Seamonkey on OSX crashes after update to 2.48
Feel free to edit your original post and change the subject.