Can send e-mails but not receive

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
damien666

Can send e-mails but not receive

Post by damien666 »

After every update from TB, it takes several days for mails to arrive. TB's little blue bar keeps scrolling, indicating that it connects to the server of my website, then just stops.
Sending mails is no problem. AFter a few days the problem usually solves itself.
This time, however, it's over a week since I installed v52.3, and still I can't receive any emails.
My provider says : no problem on our end. To which I concur, as I can find the emails on the webmail account I have at GoDaddy. I surmise the same goes for Hotmail.
The term "bloody hindering awkward" comes to mind, especially as this happens after nearly EVERY update.
What is going on ?
How do I solve this problem ?
DanRaisch

Re: Can send e-mails but not receive

Post by DanRaisch »

Whatever is going on it's not happening for most users so it would seem to be something associated with your local installation.

What security software are you running on that system?
How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
damien666

Post by damien666 »

Running NORTON Security v22 and three POP mail servers for three different e-mail addresses on two different servers. xxxxxxxxxxx-at-xxxxxxxx.com and webmaster-at-xxxxxxxx.com on pop.secureserver.com and xxxxxxxxxxxxx-at-hotmail.com and xxxxxxxxxxx-at-hotmail.com on pop.hotmail.com
Last edited by LIMPET235 on September 5th, 2017, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited the email addy/s.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Not a good idea to post your personal details on any open forum,
unless you like spam.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Norton has been known to be problematic with Thunderbird and some other programs. See theinstructions here to make sure that Thunderbird is an "Allowed" program in Norton. Do that with Thunderbird not running and change it necessary, or remove the reference to Thunderbird altogether. Then close that dialogue, reboot the computer and then launch Thunderbird.
Last edited by DanRaisch on September 6th, 2017, 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link added.