[Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
avada

Re: [Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Post by avada »

Hi!

On FF56 the RSS button in the location bar keeps disappearing for me, I had to cycle the setting twice in the past week. (I don't know for how long this has been happening)
I have two other addons that do anything to the location bar, but I used them both in parallel with CTR for years. (The addons being Flagfox that places a country flag, and Location Bar Enhancer, which adds a scrollbar background and breadcrumbs for the url. (This needed an unofficial fix))
Edit:
It comes to mind that there was a CTR update a few days ago, maybe it breaks during update?

Edit2:Never mind this. It looks like a plain restart is enough for it to disappear...
Aris

Post by Aris »

ThePhenomenon wrote:... on hold. As I said, I'm not sure... But instead, how about General UI > Page 1 > General UI > Movable back-forward buttons > Hide buttons history popup menu on mouse press, checked. Mousehover tooltip for the buttons continues to say "Right click or pull down to show history" even though the pulling down part was disabled. The kind of work and coding for something that just doesn't pay off... At least you get to know that the the bug exists, if you didn't...
The mentioned option only disables the history popup. It only occurs, if you press and hold mouse key while on back of forward buttons. It does not handle the tooltip.

avada wrote:Hi!

On FF56 the RSS button in the location bar keeps disappearing for me, I had to cycle the setting twice in the past week. (I don't know for how long this has been happening)
I have two other addons that do anything to the location bar, but I used them both in parallel with CTR for years. (The addons being Flagfox that places a country flag, and Location Bar Enhancer, which adds a scrollbar background and breadcrumbs for the url. (This needed an unofficial fix))

Edit:
It comes to mind that there was a CTR update a few days ago, maybe it breaks during update?
CTRs RSS button in location bar still works fine here in Fx56.
I don't use those add-ons, but it might be worth trying to disable them while testing.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

https://github.com/Aris-t2/ClassicTheme ... issues/365
Not tested yet

[Buttons] custom images for toolbar buttons
Yep, it's possible. I did a proof of concept on this with 57 a while ago, when it first appeared. Not easy with no DOMi (I could probably have got it to work, if it had been urgent) but I completely changed enough of the toolbar buttons to totally different ones to show that this is possible.

Urlbar/searchbar styling is easy enough as well - round ends, using gradients in them, etc.

Run with it, if you want, as I'm not going to. I only did it out of curiosity and if I use Firefox at all, it'll be with 52ESR.

The only note of caution I would suggest is - just remember how little effort it would need for them to whack userChrome.css any time they chose to. Just something to bear in mind before spending an awful lot of time on this?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
avada

Post by avada »

Aris wrote:CTRs RSS button in location bar still works fine here in Fx56.
I don't use those add-ons, but it might be worth trying to disable them while testing.
So it seems like it's some sort of conflict with the Location Bar Enhancer extension. (I don't know since when this is happening, but I used it in parallel with CTR without issues for a long time)

PS:
Didn't there used to be an RSS toolbar button in FF?(got it) (Don't know if this willbe resolved. If it requires a fix on LBE's end it's ~99.9% unlikely)
Aris

Post by Aris »

Frank Lion wrote:https://github.com/Aris-t2/ClassicTheme ... issues/365
Not tested yet

[Buttons] custom images for toolbar buttons
Yep, it's possible. I did a proof of concept on this with 57 a while ago, when it first appeared. Not easy with no DOMi (I could probably have got it to work, if it had been urgent) but I completely changed enough of the toolbar buttons to totally different ones to show that this is possible.

Urlbar/searchbar styling is easy enough as well - round ends, using gradients in them, etc.

Run with it, if you want, as I'm not going to. I only did it out of curiosity and if I use Firefox at all, it'll be with 52ESR.

The only note of caution I would suggest is - just remember how little effort it would need for them to whack userChrome.css any time they chose to. Just something to bear in mind before spending an awful lot of time on this?
Thanks for confirmation regarding button icons.

I ran some tests out of curiosity like I did for Vivaldi when it launched just to see what is possible. Wasn't spending much time there. Most css could be copied over from existing CTR files.

What bothers me more than the potential drop of userChrome one day is them changing omni.ja files compression/encryption or whatever again, so WinRAR/7zip and other unpackers can not decompress Fx57 archives anymore at least not completely (on Windows only?). To get source files now, one have to know their internal urls and put them into location bar. ](*,)
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

The following thought recently occurred to me. All these moves to limit the ability to customize Firefox may be because the lawyers for Mozilla convinced Mozilla that it is too risky. That is, the high level of customization posed a risk to Mozilla if, somehow, Firefox was tweaked by an add-on that allowed a hacker to access sensitive information of individuals, businesses and/or governments or to hijack the computer (ransom-ware) and the victims then sued Mozilla for damages (liability). The cost of such a lawsuit could put Mozilla out of business.
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Aris wrote:What bothers me more than the potential drop of userChrome one day is them changing omni.ja files compression/encryption or whatever again, so WinRAR/7zip and other unpackers can not decompress Fx57 archives anymore at least not completely (on Windows only?).
Like this, you mean? - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 352595#c31
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
ThePhenomenon

Post by ThePhenomenon »

Aris wrote:
ThePhenomenon wrote:But instead, how about General UI > Page 1 > General UI > Movable back-forward buttons > Hide buttons history popup menu on mouse press, checked. Mousehover tooltip for the buttons continues to say "Right click or pull down to show history" even though the pulling down part was disabled. The kind of work and coding for something that just doesn't pay off... At least you get to know that the the bug exists, if you didn't...
The mentioned option only disables the history popup. It only occurs, if you press and hold mouse key while on back of forward buttons. It does not handle the tooltip.
??? You understood nothing of what I said. I know perfectly how it works and that it does nothing to the tooltip.
Aris

Post by Aris »

Frank Lion wrote:
Aris wrote:What bothers me more than the potential drop of userChrome one day is them changing omni.ja files compression/encryption or whatever again, so WinRAR/7zip and other unpackers can not decompress Fx57 archives anymore at least not completely (on Windows only?).
Like this, you mean? - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 352595#c31
Great, now they are using compression algorithms no common software can handle.
ThePhenomenon wrote:....
??? You understood nothing of what I said. I know perfectly how it works and that it does nothing to the tooltip.
Yeah sorry, I overread something. ;-) You are right about this minor issue.
Disabling history popup through the CTR option can not change tooltips content/strings those buttons get from Firefox files.
85rx-7se

Post by 85rx-7se »

You can look here for info on how to get to the .ja files
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... _omni.jar)
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Aris wrote:Great, now they are using compression algorithms no common software can handle.
Aris, point me to an .omni.ja file that WinRAR can't unpack and I'll try to unpack it with Total Commander (it seems to unpack everything). Total Commander will even let you edit files within an .omni.ja file without unpacking it.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
85rx-7se

Post by 85rx-7se »

Lar ... try what is in the link I posted just above. It should be able to do it.
Aris

Post by Aris »

@L.A.R. Grizzly
Omni.ja files from current Nightly builds are affected. Test this one for example: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vnnfk5gj1xmksry/omni.ja?dl=0

@85rx-7se
InfoZip's UnZip tool can not fully unpack recent omni.ja files from Nightly. Same applies to WinRAR and 7-zip. All of them can extract "some" files, but not the full package.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Aris wrote:@L.A.R. Grizzly
Omni.ja files from current Nightly builds are affected. Test this one for example: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vnnfk5gj1xmksry/omni.ja?dl=0
Aris, looks as if the devs have us by the short hairs. Total Commander can't unpack that file. Sorry, but it was worth a try!
85rx-7se wrote:Lar ... try what is in the link I posted just above. It should be able to do it.
Sorry 85rx-7se, it's a no-go on your file as well! I guess Total Commander has seen better days! :?
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
85rx-7se

Post by 85rx-7se »

Have a look here .. they discuss the problem you are having and what to do about it.
https://www.raymond.cc/blog/edit-files- ... -password/